Username
Password
Recording News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Recording
Inside AP.net

Check Out The Women's Audio Mission

Posted by: Jason Tate (07/11/14)
I just wanted to direct some attention at the Women's Audio Mission.
Women's Audio Mission is a San Francisco based, non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of women in music production and the recording arts. In a field where women are chronically under-represented (less than 5%), WAM seeks to "change the face of sound" by providing hands-on training, experience, career counseling and job placement to women and girls in media technology for music, radio, film, television and the internet. WAM believes that women's mastery of music technology and inclusion in the production process will expand the vision and voice of media and popular culture.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
06:54 PM on 07/11/14
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Thats awesome!
07:12 PM on 07/11/14
brothemighty
Blue moon, where are you today?
User Info.
I'm all for this. Less than 5%?!! Are you kidding me?? And that's too much for some people
08:52 PM on 07/11/14
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
This is a great, great cause.
11:20 PM on 07/11/14
mka12992
Is this darkness in you too?
User Info.
Yeah I'm down with this. Is anyone really surprised at the number? I can't say I've ever seen a woman's name under "producer" credits in any album I've owned. Which could just say more about my tastes than anything, but it seems to me it would be beneficial to change that.
07:15 AM on 07/12/14
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
Picking up mixing and mastering (and producing) all by yourself is easier than ever since there's soooooo much fantastic information and tips on the internet from the very best. And yet i've never really heard of a newer female producer making waves to be honest, but i'm sure there are many great women doing this (in other genres).

With all these recent ap.net threads it's easy to come to a conclusion that rock music is inherently sexist (but is it though ? Maybe there simply aren't that many women interested in this... and by this i mean the "making music" side of things).

(i'm all for more women getting into this)
09:48 AM on 07/12/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
this is awesome. in the program im in there's a very, very apparent lack of women. good to see advancements are being made in the field
12:15 PM on 07/12/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Picking up mixing and mastering (and producing) all by yourself is easier than ever since there's soooooo much fantastic information and tips on the internet from the very best. And yet i've never really heard of a newer female producer making waves to be honest, but i'm sure there are many great women doing this (in other genres).

With all these recent ap.net threads it's easy to come to a conclusion that rock music is inherently sexist (but is it though ? Maybe there simply aren't that many women interested in this... and by this i mean the "making music" side of things).

(i'm all for more women getting into this)
It's pretty clear that's not the case. Making any sweeping "women just aren't into _______" claims seems like a non-starter in 2014.
12:49 PM on 07/12/14
botDs-r
www.twitter.com/shawnhyphenray
User Info.
Although I'm all for women to work in music, I think that this business just attracts more men than women and that's why there are se few. I don't think it has much to do with sexism.
12:55 PM on 07/12/14
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
It's pretty clear that's not the case. Making any sweeping "women just aren't into _______" claims seems like a non-starter in 2014.
I frequent several production oriented forums and I can't think of any female regulars to be completely honest with you. And I can't think of any reason for this other than women simply not really being into it (with internet anonymity and all).
01:09 PM on 07/12/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
Although I'm all for women to work in music, I think that this business just attracts more men than women and that's why there are se few. I don't think it has much to do with sexism.
......why do you think it attracts more men than women?
01:19 PM on 07/12/14
Jason Tate
User Info.

I frequent several production oriented forums and I can't think of any female regulars to be completely honest with you. And I can't think of any reason for this other than women simply not really being into it (with internet anonymity and all).

Grumble. This is the same argument used to dismiss women in every field: "Oh, women just don't like video games." "Oh, women just don't like to code." "Oh, women just aren't that interested in ______."

It misses the point every single time.

First, looking at what you see and saying that's proof is flawed logic and just bad science. Second, what this dismissive nature does is a variety of things:

It ignores why, currently, there may be less (not zero, just less) women in one field. These reasons can range from systematic barriers throughout the entire process (women have long been pushed toward other careers and away from education in specific fields) to cultural shifts that have only recently begun.

It ignores why women who may be interested in a certain field feel pushed away once they reach a certain level. Certainly being constantly told they shouldn't be/aren't interested in something they are must be annoying. This boys-club mentality perpetuates itself top to bottom. (I have also heard from friends at a local studio that the mansplaining that occurs from teenage boys trying to get their shitty demo recorded and don't want to take any advice from a women is beyond compare.)

It ignores the women that are in this field, right now, and the unbelievable work they are doing. I would highly recommend checking out: Georgia Anne Muldrow, Dani Deahl, Sylvia Robinson, Linda Perry, and Trina Shoemaker.

Years ago the "women aren't interested in ____" argument could apply to almost any field using this logic, even specific sports, entire industries, and the military. I find it as antiquated today as "women just aren't that interested in running a company" or "women just aren't that interested in chess" or any variation of the "women just aren't that into _____."

Here, we have an entire organization that stands directly opposed to your premise: women saying "we are interested" -- to immediately dismiss that is telling.
01:46 PM on 07/12/14
botDs-r
www.twitter.com/shawnhyphenray
User Info.
Grumble. This is the same argument used to dismiss women in every field: "Oh, women just don't like video games." "Oh, women just don't like to code." "Oh, women just aren't that interested in ______."

It misses the point every single time.

First, looking at what you see and saying that's proof is flawed logic and just bad science. Second, what this dismissive nature does is a variety of things:

It ignores why, currently, there may be less (not zero, just less) women in one field. These reasons can range from systematic barriers throughout the entire process (women have long been pushed toward other careers and away from education in specific fields) to cultural shifts that have only recently begun.

It ignores why women who may be interested in a certain field feel pushed away once they reach a certain level. Certainly being constantly told they shouldn't be/aren't interested in something they are must be annoying. This boys-club mentality perpetuates itself top to bottom. (I have also heard from friends at a local studio that the mansplaining that occurs from teenage boys trying to get their shitty demo recorded and don't want to take any advice from a women is beyond compare.)

It ignores the women that are in this field, right now, and the unbelievable work they are doing. I would highly recommend checking out: Georgia Anne Muldrow, Dani Deahl, Sylvia Robinson, Linda Perry, and Trina Shoemaker.

Years ago the "women aren't interested in ____" argument could apply to almost any field using this logic, even specific sports, entire industries, and the military. I find it as antiquated today as "women just aren't that interested in running a company" or "women just aren't that interested in chess" or any variation of the "women just aren't that into _____."

Here, we have an entire organization that stands directly opposed to your premise: women saying "we are interested" -- to immediately dismiss that is telling.
I'm not saying women aren't interested in the field, cuz they definitely are. I went to a music industry college (SUNY Oneonta), and there were plenty women in my audio production and industry classes. Yes there were more men (but the school is about 65% women). But from the experience I've had in the industry, as well as just from all my research, there are just more men. I think it may be because of how hard an industry it is to make living in, women aren't willing to take the risk, but I don't know.

Yes I agree there are women who are ignored in the field, but from what I've seen lately, these women are gaining more and more recognition and the whole "women need to be recognized" thing isn't as needed anymore because they just are (if that makes any sense)
01:58 PM on 07/12/14
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.

06:28 PM on 07/12/14
dorfmac
DORFMAC
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Isn't Kevin Lyman on the board of this organization?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests