AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Record Sales News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Case for Still Buying CDs

Posted by - 02:20 PM on 07/14/14
Steven Hyden, writing for Grantland:
CDs outsell vinyl records many times over, but CDs dont have nearly the cachet or booster-ish press coverage. Even cassettes have been revived by indie labels like Burger Records, which are successfully remaking cheap, junky, and sonically wobbly plastic-encased media as collectible boutique items. (This partly explains why, at this very moment, there are cool kids listening to White Lion tapes post-ironically at the trendiest dive bar in your neighborhood.) CD buyers, meanwhile, are made to feel like were living in a Richard Matheson story.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 41
02:22 PM on 07/14/14
FTank
I hate Golden Tate
User Info.
I read this a few days ago, thought it was really good.
02:24 PM on 07/14/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
The Case. That's why I buy them.
02:25 PM on 07/14/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Can't wait for CD store day in a few years
02:28 PM on 07/14/14
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
Yeah, Dookie wouldn't be the same without the CD. IMO.
02:29 PM on 07/14/14
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
I still buy all my music on CD.
That feeling I got as a kid - going to the record store, coming home with your purchases, unwrapping them and popping them into your stereo and reading along with the lyrics and liner notes - nothing can beat it, at least for me. I still feel that is the best way to experience a record (especially on the first listen) and how most artists intend their music be heard.
02:32 PM on 07/14/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Quote:
It is physically impossible to play an album that is 78 minutes and 58 seconds long when you also have access to a billion other songs.

I have such a problem with this line of thinking. People will listen to full albums if they want to. The same way that people will stream or shuffle around random songs. CD's certainly never forced anyone to listen to an album in full.
02:38 PM on 07/14/14
ACA
Next Shows: MC Lars @ NYC 11/22
User Info.
digital > *
02:57 PM on 07/14/14
angaskin
defending the genre
User Info.
That feeling I got as a kid - going to the record store, coming home with your purchases, unwrapping them and popping them into your stereo and reading along with the lyrics and liner notes - nothing can beat it, at least for me. I still feel that is the best way to experience a record (especially on the first listen) and how most artists intend their music be heard.
this.
03:08 PM on 07/14/14
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
a thousand times this
03:35 PM on 07/14/14
theagentcoma
Mouthpiece for the Mental
User Info.
Whatever man, having CDs in my car to jam is the easiest thing ever.
03:45 PM on 07/14/14
xveganrox
User Info.
I'm clearly the odd one out here but I don't really get it. I've always bought my music on iTunes or streamed it and it's just super convenient. I understand wanting to listen to an album all the way through, but CDs are just messy. They can get lost, scratched, broken, borrowed. If you actually want to listen to them there's a good chance you'll have to rip it anyway. If you're hanging out at a friend's place bringing CDs seems kind of silly - it's much easier just to connect to a car stereo with bluetooth and play music on your iPhone than worry about shuffling CDs around, and a lot of people don't even have CD players. My dad collects CDs and vinyl, and it's admittedly pretty cool to have a big wall of CDs as - like the author mentioned - some kind of musical monument. MP3s last forever though. Even if they're more expensive, you can play them on anything without having to worry about carrying around CDs or shuffling them in and out.
03:47 PM on 07/14/14
[Mike]
making waves.
User Info.
I think when it comes to why CDs seem to be the forgotten format is because a CD is the "perfect quality" version you can get of an album, and with digital being the same thing essentially (as long as you get it in a high quality), what's the point of owning an actual CD outside of the artwork? On top of that with them being basically equal in quality, most of the time the digital version is also cheaper and does come with a digital booklet.

People who are fans of having something physical to hold / artwork fanatics usually spring for the vinyl. As for cassettes, that definitely seems like a very niche / fad that probably will have at least some notability, but I don't see it being revived to a level anywhere near vinyl has.
03:57 PM on 07/14/14
FTank
I hate Golden Tate
User Info.
Personally, I buy CDs because I like to have something physical, they're more convenient than vinyl (read: smaller and can be played in car), and I really never got into vinyl anyway because of said convenience differences plus it's more expensive.
04:04 PM on 07/14/14
KiDurango
Band
User Info.
I used to think CD's were the best of both worlds because you could always rip CD quality music into MP3 quality music but not the other way around... Then macbooks stop coming with a CD drive

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos