Password

Album Review

The Oversight - Far From Gone Album Cover

The Oversight - Far From Gone

Reviewed by
The Oversight - Far From Gone
Release Date: July 22, 2014
Record Label: Unsigned
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Oversight is made up of four college graduates. That doesn’t sound like much – until you hear that they’re studying at Berklee College of Music. So they know what they’re doing, and it shows. Their debut EP, Far From Gone, is an exercise in how to play successful pop-rock music.

Once you get past the intro, that is. “Collective” is a sub-two-minute spoken word song that begins with soft, twinkly arpeggios before the vocals come in. The speaking gets faster, louder, and more intense as the song goes on, and it comes off as exceptionally melodramatic. There are times when songs like this work, like nouns’ “fourteen” from the glorious still, but unlike in that song, The Oversight don’t make any particularly grand, life-affirming statements, and the vocals just aren’t commanding enough to hold the track together. But please, don’t turn it off yet – they’ll make up for it.

“Black & White,” which should’ve opened the EP, is a bright pop song with a wonderful vocal performance by Lucas Edward and some lovely piano breaks. “When 5 A.M. Turns” finds itself in a similar vein, a pop song with a nice chorus, although there’s little of note in its slow verses. The band can do more though, as the piano-laden “Love Is A Fiction” proves. For five minutes, Edward serenades with lyrics like “the only upside of being empty/is there’s nothing left.” It’s a delicate track, but that makes it no less infectious.

The EP’s closing title track dwarfs them all, though. From its ever-building intro to the finale, a gang vocal shout of the title, it’s clear The Oversight are onto something. The first time you hear Edward beg you to “save me a piece of our photograph,” you know this is something big. His vocal performance on the track rivals even A.J. Perdomo’s when he takes a swing at the anthemic hook. It’s the perfect cap to the EP, and it’s a sign of things to come. While they falter in other aspects, this song shows that The Oversight has potential in them, and their next release could easily be their first great release.

Recommended if you likeGo Radio’s Lucky Street; You Me at Six’s Take Off Your Colours; Mayday Parade’s A Lesson In Romantics

7.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
12:52 PM on 07/21/14
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
Berklee? I'm in! hahah
04:54 PM on 07/21/14
uofmhockey07
User Info.
I know the drummer just finished his first year at berklee. So graduates isn't the right word. These kids are young!
08:30 PM on 07/21/14
SpencerCoronado
Giant Black Doctor
User Info.
I know the drummer just finished his first year at berklee. So graduates isn't the right word. These kids are young!
08:43 AM on 07/23/14
HappyTheHippie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I finally found this on Spotify under Oversight, The Oversight returned nothing

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT