AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Hopeless Records News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

POZ BandsOnBands: Driver Friendly On Third Eye Blind

Posted by - 12:29 PM on 07/21/14
Head to PropertyOfZack to see what Tyler Welsh of Driver Friendly has to say about Third Eye Blind for BandsOnBands.
It wasn’t until my freshman year of college when I realized what an amazing band Third Eye Blind was. My girlfriend at the time, burned me a copy of their self-titled album. At first, I scoffed, “Why would I want to listen to an album from a lame one-hit wonder band from the 90s?” She insisted, and I remember listening to “Losing a Whole Year,” for the first time. Driving in my 1991 Jeep Cherokee on a Texas highway, my entire musical world shifted. This was pop. Pure, unadulterated pop. But it was so much more.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
12:32 PM on 07/21/14
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
3eb = the best
12:34 PM on 07/21/14
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Here's a video of that Relient K/Driver F "Motorcycle Drive By" performance. So cool.
12:49 PM on 07/21/14
livinginpixels
User Info.
For me, Third Eye Blinds longevity has a lot to do with Stephan's lyrics.

The dude went to UC Berkeley as an English Literature major and was Valedictorian. He knows what he's doing.

There's something about his writing that just crushes people emotionally, in the best possible way. Even their newer album still has super super solid tracks (Sharp Knife for instance)
12:57 PM on 07/21/14
JimmyIymmiJ
Go on, give up, you'll never win...
User Info.
That self-titled album is one of my all time favorites. I swear I went for years thinking I was the only person in the world who ever realized how great Motorcycle Drive-By was before the internet became the beast it is today.
12:58 PM on 07/21/14
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
slow motion tho
01:04 PM on 07/21/14
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
I can totally relate to pressing play on the self titled not expecting much (only knowing Semi Charmed Life/Jumper) on my way to my freshman orientation down a texas highway and being completely floored by Losing a Whole Year.
01:23 PM on 07/21/14
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
I did pretty much the same thing. For some reason, I bought the self titled on a whim one day cause I needed a cd for my car like a year ago. I remembered hearing "semi charmed" "never let you go" "losing a whole year" when I was really young on the radio and singing along to what I thought sounded like the words. It's kinda cool because when I was younger I loved the songs because they were so, so catchy, 3eb seemed to blend all of the musical styles I liked together. Now, their records are still catchy and fun to listen to, but the words resonate with me on a deeper level. They pretty much deliver everything I want with their songs, and I can't wait for the new record.
01:53 PM on 07/21/14
70timesseven
User Info.
I feel like "Out of the Vein" doesn't get enough credit. Such a great album as well.
02:16 PM on 07/21/14
Miss Heartcore
If I look back, I am lost.
User Info.
On what planet was 3eb a one hit wonder?
02:20 PM on 07/21/14
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
On what planet was 3eb a one hit wonder?
Haha I don't get when people say that either. I've heard people say "jumper" was their only hit and it was because of the movie it was in. I guess they forgot about "losing a whole year", "semi charmed life", "never let you go", etc
02:39 PM on 07/21/14
BSmittyAu
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I feel like "Out of the Vein" doesn't get enough credit. Such a great album as well.

One of the most overlooked and underrated albums of all time.

I also don't get the one hit wonder talk. The self titled album alone had like 4 smash hit singles i think... I remember them being everywhere. Momentum didnt stop there either, blue singles did well. If the label hadn't fucked them on Out of Vein theres no telling how big they would be... Blinded and crystal baller were awesome.

Did i mention i like 3eb a bit?
02:40 PM on 07/21/14
don't fret
When In Rome
User Info.
Love 3eb music, but they sure do seem like assholes.
02:57 PM on 07/21/14
sammyboy516
User Info.
Haha I don't get when people say that either. I've heard people say "jumper" was their only hit and it was because of the movie it was in. I guess they forgot about "losing a whole year", "semi charmed life", "never let you go", etc
You mean Yes Man? That song came out 10 years before the movie haha.
04:06 PM on 07/21/14
JimmyIymmiJ
Go on, give up, you'll never win...
User Info.
Anybody that would claim them as a one hit wonder because of Jumper in Yes Man is just too young to remember, because Semi-Charmed Life was a really popular song, not to mention the other singles from that album, and everything that came after.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos