AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Property of Zack News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

POZ Interview Real Friends

Posted by - 02:23 PM on 07/21/14
PropertyOfZack have posted an interview with Real Friends' bassist/lyricist Kyle Fasel. He really likes us.
It is tough. Iíve learned to back away from social media and from looking at what people say. Weíre always really active with social media, updating our stuff, but in terms of looking at what people say, I try and stay away from it. AbsolutePunk is a terrible website. I donít look at it, because I really truly think that Jason Tate stirs things up. I get it, thatís his job, he makes money because people go to the website and he wants to stir things up. Thatís fine.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 302
02:26 PM on 07/21/14
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Honestly curious what kind of examples he would have for this other than, you know.... posting news
02:29 PM on 07/21/14
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Calling out the mysterious leader. Ballsy move hombre. Ballsy move.
02:30 PM on 07/21/14
brothemighty
Blue moon, where are you today?
User Info.
HE'S RIGHT THOUGH
02:30 PM on 07/21/14
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Do you read the reviews?
Yeah, I do. I wouldn’t say that I’ve read every single review of our album, but if I see it, we’ll retweet it on Twitter or whatever.

I guess one of the reasons I ask is because, twenty years ago, you would hear bands say “oh, we don’t read the reviews, we just ignore all that.” But now, with social media being what it is, it’s almost impossible not to — it’s being presented right in front of you, being pushed right into your phone.
It is tough. I’ve learned to back away from social media and from looking at what people say. We’re always really active with social media, updating our stuff, but in terms of looking at what people say, I try and stay away from it. AbsolutePunk is a terrible website. I don’t look at it, because I really truly think that Jason Tate stirs things up. I get it, that’s his job, he makes money because people go to the website and he wants to stir things up. That’s fine.

He seems to have an issue with your music in particular.
I don’t really care. It’s like “dude, I know this is your job, I know you want to get in an argument” — like, he got into an argument with our singer in a forum. I used to go on that website when I was in high school. I don’t go to it anymore, strictly because I feel like people are waiting with their guns out. “Ok, this is good, but I don’t like this, so I’m just going to talk about the negative part.” That’s all it is, you know? So I just stay off that website.

Do you care to try and win those people over? Or do you take the attitude of “well, we’re not doing this for you.”
No, I don’t care. I think a lot of those people, that’s just what they want to do. Like, apparently someone on there said I write songs only to relate to teenagers? That I don’t actually mean what I’m saying. Which is totally false.

It’s another version of shouting “sellout.”
“Oh, they just write songs that connect with sixteen year old kids.” I look at something like that, and it’s like, if you didn’t say that, it would have just been something else.

The whole concept of somebody calling you out for connecting with people is a little strange. That’s kind of what music is supposed to do.
Oh yeah, definitely. And that’s what we’re all about. I just feel like, like I mentioned earlier, as growth happens there’s more negative things. So I expect that. Reviews don’t matter to me. Sales don’t even matter to me, honestly. All that matters is one, we’re proud of the record — and that’s already done. And then two, that kids get something out of it and connect with it, and it helps them. If we can do those two things, then I’m happy.
02:32 PM on 07/21/14
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Dude writes terrible lyrics and blames other people for not liking them. Heard the rest of this band is made up of nice dudes but that this guy is super full of himself and his "emo cred"
02:33 PM on 07/21/14
Dizzy23
User Info.
I gotta admit, if he thinks this website is bad where does he typically look at music news? This website is so tame compared to others I have frequented. And all around pretty "nice" when it comes to reviewing anything.

Jason does try to stir things up sometimes though lol
02:34 PM on 07/21/14
billcom6
AP Addict
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Am I allowed to like both Real Friends and AP.net, or do I have to choose sides?
02:34 PM on 07/21/14
hoosierbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
All I'm gonna say is I have a Real Friends tattoo and am extremely proud of it.
02:37 PM on 07/21/14
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
Dude writes terrible lyrics and blames other people for not liking them. Heard the rest of this band is made up of nice dudes but that this guy is super full of himself and his "emo cred"

Agreed. Band sucks but this guy in particular seems like a shitty dude.
02:40 PM on 07/21/14
Micah511
Let's Talk About Your Hair
User Info.
All I'm gonna say is I have a Real Friends tattoo and am extremely proud of it.
You got a tattoo of a band before they even put out a full length? That's pretty ballsy.
02:40 PM on 07/21/14
scott!athedisco
User Info.
Seems like a good dude. I wouldn't read this site either, if I was them. Staff and users 'waiting with guns out' is a good way of putting it.
02:41 PM on 07/21/14
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
I gotta admit, if he thinks this website is bad where does he typically look at music news? This website is so tame compared to others I have frequented. And all around pretty "nice" when it comes to reviewing anything.

Jason does try to stir things up sometimes though lol

I think holding people accountable for what they say by questioning it and encouraging discussion is very different than stirring things up. It's not like he trolls or makes incendiary comments he can't back up.
02:49 PM on 07/21/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
This whole Jason Tate, Boogeyman of the scene, line of thinking is amusing to me.
02:49 PM on 07/21/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Oh god, now I have to write a response? Thanks Ryan. Couldn't have just let this one fade away?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos