AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

UK News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

A Different Take on Piracy in the UK Coming Soon

Posted by - 01:39 PM on 07/22/14
The UK will be rolling out a new policy in 2015 that will warn repeat copyright infringers and educate them on where they can find legal content. However, according to reports, there will no longer be penalties for ignoring the warnings:
Business Secretary Vince Cable said this week: "The creative industries in the UK are one of our brilliant global success stories. We have unrivalled creativity - from record breaking musicians to box office films - that excite and inspire people all over the world. Yet too often that content is open to abuse by some who don't play by the rules. That is why we are working with industry to ensure that intellectual property rights are understood and respected. Education is at the heart of this drive so people understand that piracy isn't a victimless crime - but actually causes business to fail, harms the industry and costs jobs."

Submitted by 3GunGaz

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
01:57 PM on 07/22/14
ramomcferno
It Only Gets Better
User Info.
This could be a good idea. I always argued that if it is easier, more convenient to access media for a reasonable fee, most people would access it legally.

I hope this works and can be adopted worldwide.
02:12 PM on 07/22/14
mark29
User Info.
The problem is that there is a clause that says along the lines "if piracy doesn't reduce then more draconian measures than before will be introduced"
02:21 PM on 07/22/14
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Spotify & Netflix void my need to illegally download. I'm never going to be able to afford to buy all the music I want to listen to, or all the films/tv shows I want to watch, so they're perfect.
02:35 PM on 07/22/14
ramomcferno
It Only Gets Better
User Info.
Spotify & Netflix void my need to illegally download. I'm never going to be able to afford to buy all the music I want to listen to, or all the films/tv shows I want to watch, so they're perfect.

Yeah before them I used to be pretty bad. It has completely stopped me. If something isn't available on those two sources I will just pick it up.
03:16 PM on 07/22/14
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah before them I used to be pretty bad. It has completely stopped me. If something isn't available on those two sources I will just pick it up.
Yeah, exactly. Admittedly I tend to buy stuff second hand if I can from CEX, which probably isn't helping the industry, but otherwise I'll get it off of iTunes or Amazon for physical, whatever's cheaper.

I'd happily pay more for both though, particularly if it meant it was more sustainable for artists and such.If I had to pay 30gbp a month for Netflix and Spotify jointly, I definitely would.
09:04 PM on 07/22/14
tub and rug
I found a spark in the normal.
User Info.
I find it hard to believe that people aren't aware of where they can purchase music legally. It is 2014.
10:37 AM on 07/23/14
codeseven
/* No route to host */
User Info.
I was actually going to dive into my personal statistics a little more, but off the bat: a premium membership to Spotify (and picking up various vinyl releases with download codes) took me from pirating over a hundred albums a year, to maybe 4 or 5 a year. I realized this when I started studying my What.CD snatches and my mind was blown. $10/mo for music from an almost endless library? You can't get any better than that.
02:55 PM on 07/23/14
Quijiba
User Info.
This could be a good idea. I always argued that if it is easier, more convenient to access media for a reasonable fee, most people would access it legally.

I hope this works and can be adopted worldwide.
couldn't agree more. Music streaming services have converted me entirely. If only a TV Show and/or movie service existed with the same level of content, i'd be set
07:19 AM on 07/24/14
ramomcferno
It Only Gets Better
User Info.
couldn't agree more. Music streaming services have converted me entirely. If only a TV Show and/or movie service existed with the same level of content, i'd be set

Totally. I would pay another ten dollars a month for an a la carte TV service.
10:09 AM on 07/24/14
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was actually going to dive into my personal statistics a little more, but off the bat: a premium membership to Spotify (and picking up various vinyl releases with download codes) took me from pirating over a hundred albums a year, to maybe 4 or 5 a year. I realized this when I started studying my What.CD snatches and my mind was blown. $10/mo for music from an almost endless library? You can't get any better than that.
Offline mode as well - that's the game changer. The moment I got Spotify for my phone was the moment I stopped using my iPod and stopped downloading anything illegally. Also, I don't know about others, but I tend to find myself buying vinyl now as well, just because its more collectable and much more of a physical product. CDs are so dated to me, like when I walk into a CD store its like walking into a cassette shop or something. Kinda sad because I must have like 200 CD's from early AP days (all the classics)..
02:42 PM on 07/24/14
Quijiba
User Info.
Totally. I would pay another ten dollars a month for an a la carte TV service.
Legitimately, I would be willing to pay $50/month or $500/yr if it meant that I didn't have to deal with TV shows/movies not being available. This would also obviously include brand new episodes of shows appearing on the service within a day of airing or so
01:36 PM on 07/30/14
grapenoseboy
Mystical Beast
User Info.
I may have to reconsider getting a sporify account...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos