AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Podcast News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AP.net Podcast: The Gaslight Anthem's "Get Hurt" Discussion...

Posted by - 11:40 PM on 07/22/14
Check, check ... is this thing on? Is it Friday? Well, not quite, but it's still podcast day. Today we've got a special edition episode of the AbsolutePunk Podcast talking exclusively about The Gaslight Anthem's upcoming new album, Get Hurt. Your two favorite hosts, and me, talk about our impressions of the album from first listen all the way up to now. Then we tackle the whole thing track-by-track and give thoughts, complaints, and discuss what we think works or doesn't work. The end of the episode has us looking at what we think about "deluxe" albums and if we consider the bonus tracks part of the canonical album or not. We really hope you enjoy it! The episode can be streamed and/or downloaded below.

Want to make sure you never miss an episode? You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via your own RSS feed reader, on SoundCloud, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes and SoundCloud.

The Gaslight Anthem:

The Gaslight Anthem will be releasing Get Hurt on August 12th. You can pre-order the album on iTunes or physical copies in the US, Canada, or UK.

Hosts:
Show Notes:

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. Also, if you have any feedback or questions for us to discuss in next week's episode, please let us know in this thread. Thank you.

Want to sponsor?Interested in sponsoring an episode of the podcast? This is a great way to reach our loyal audience about an album or song release, special merch sale, upcoming tour ... or even an app, service, or product to sell. We can even do things like play a portion of your song and have our hosts talk a little bit about it and give thoughts. Each sponsorship also comes with a link in the podcast post right here on the homepage.

Email us for more information.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 99
11:48 PM on 07/22/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Fuckk, I need to download this but my internet is already over for the month...
11:49 PM on 07/22/14
TimTheMechanic
All alone is all I'll ever be
User Info.
It's 3 am but idc I'm so stoked to listen to this.
12:02 AM on 07/23/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Sorry for messing your name up twice Craig.
12:19 AM on 07/23/14
FTank
Blank
User Info.
To me, it's interesting that at least four AP.net staff members have this album already. isn't the point of an advance for the person to review the record? obviously not all four of you are going to review it....or is it just that you can get it if you ask the label?
05:57 AM on 07/23/14
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
To me, it's interesting that at least four AP.net staff members have this album already. isn't the point of an advance for the person to review the record? obviously not all four of you are going to review it....or is it just that you can get it if you ask the label?
I think it's because they have influence and a voice that can get word out to a lot of people who visit the site even if they aren't necessarily reviewing it. I mean this podcast is a good example of that..

I haven't listened yet but I will later despite the fact that I probably won't like the album since I only really like one Gaslight song because I still find people talking about music interesting, ha.
06:21 AM on 07/23/14
atlastitsok
User Info.
I only listened to the first 5 or so minutes so far, but really all they talked about was how they were taking this opportunity to do a collaborative audio review of the album, so technically...
06:29 AM on 07/23/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Sorry for messing your name up twice Craig.

Hahaha, not a problem. Happens frequently.

I'm coming around on "Underneath the Ground." I like what Drew said about it, and I like the Brandon Flowers comparison. Still not my favorite track on here, and I still think it's kind of out of place, but I do like how it goes back to the Elsie thing a bit. I almost get a Tom Waits vibe from that track.

I got through the discussion of the first six songs on the podcast. Wish I'd partaken in this! Haha, but I'm looking forward to listening to the rest on my lunch break.

I'm trying to set up an interview with Brian for the album, and I think Thomas is probably reviewing, so it's not really that ridiculous. Jason and Drew get a lot of advances regardless of whether they're reviewing an album. It's not like that Dangerous Summer record from last year where pretty much everyone on staff, plus seemingly half of our readers, had an advance a month ahead of release.
06:44 AM on 07/23/14
jpd19125
Screw Flanders
User Info.
cannot wait to hear this
07:01 AM on 07/23/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I'm trying to set up an interview with Brian for the album, and I think Thomas is probably reviewing, so it's not really that ridiculous. Jason and Drew get a lot of advances regardless of whether they're reviewing an album. It's not like that Dangerous Summer record from last year where pretty much everyone on staff, plus seemingly half of our readers, had an advance a month ahead of release.
it really just depends on the label / publicist and their outlook on it. a big record like this, it doesn't make sense for a lot of people to have an advance. for something like the dangerous summer...it really flat-out doesn't matter as much. plus a label like hopeless knows a lot of our staff better than a label like island records, obviously.
07:15 AM on 07/23/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
it really just depends on the label / publicist and their outlook on it. a big record like this, it doesn't make sense for a lot of people to have an advance. for something like the dangerous summer...it really flat-out doesn't matter as much. plus a label like hopeless knows a lot of our staff better than a label like island records, obviously.
Oh, absolutely. I was just saying that four people on staff isn't that many to have this record when some advances go to just about everyone.
07:24 AM on 07/23/14
walkthewill
Heart strung on the clothing line
User Info.
Great episode guys. Can't wait to hear this. Think it's released on exactly the 2 year anniversary of Handwritten too haha.
07:40 AM on 07/23/14
crowbarmark
so much better than you
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not a fan of the band but I enjoy listening to this. I didn't know the Gaslight Anthem is so universally loved on this website to be subject for a podcast review. I wish this would be done for other releases as well but I understand that time is precious.
07:52 AM on 07/23/14
SteveLikesMusic
I'm A Man, Dammit
User Info.
Very cool. Can't wait to see what my opinions are like vs. yours.
09:02 AM on 07/23/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Finished the rest of this. A few thoughts:

-"Rollin' and Tumblin'" deserves to be on the record, but should absolutely not come after "Underneath the Ground." I'd put it earlier in the tracklist, but I'm liking it more in context as I play the record more.

-I like "Red Violins" a lot. I think it's this album's "Biloxi Parish," so I bet it's going to be polarizing, but I think it's a solid rock song. Middle of the pack on the record for me.

-I disagree with Thomas that "Selected Poems" would fit on Handwritten. I think that's one of the "weirder" songs on this album, in that it starts like an Elsie song and explodes into an all-out rocker. I'm guessing the style of this song (as well as "Stay Vicious" and "Stray Paper") is what Brian was talking about when he was doing those interviews and talking about subverting expectations. They don't stray THAT far from the Gaslight brand, but they do a few interesting things musically that Gaslight hasn't really done in the past.

-I also disagree with Thomas that the last two songs should be cut. I really like "Break Your Heart." I think it's a great penultimate track, and while I don't think it's on the level of the band's best acoustic songs, I will say that I like the pacing on the last three tracks better than the flow of the rest of the record. I think they ended it well.

-I also unabashedly love "Dark Places" and think it's a top three song on this record. I like that they went more for a "Backseat" style closer here. It feels more appropriate for what the rest of the record does. It definitely SOUNDS like a 59 Sound song, so I'm guessing a lot of people are going to love it.

-The bonus tracks really are hit or miss, and I agree that they would have been better on an individual release. "Halloween" is great, but it's very obviously not from these sessions. I would have also tried to find a spot for "Have Mercy" on here, but since I love "Dark Places" as the finale, I don't know if I'd put it at the end. For me, it's actually more of an "epilogue" track, and I might sequence the album so that it comes after "Dark Places," just like I tacked "Blue Dahlia" on the end of Handwritten. I still consider "National Anthem" as the closer, but having something after it feels appropriate, if that makes sense.

Overall, great podcast. Very interested to hear how people react to this album.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos