AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Staff Content News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Show Review: The Casualties, Lower Class Brats, and The Applicators...

Posted by - 11:58 AM on 07/24/14
If there is one thing I love in Austin, it's going to punk shows. The crowds are always some of the coolest people with the craziest stories. July 16th was no exception, especially with Lower Class Brats and The Applicators, The Casualties filled Red 7 with killer energy.
Formed in 1990, The Casualties took the stage with less umph than Iíve seen before but I think itís because they were lacked the mohawk of frontman Jorge Herrera. The band tore through song after song of their enormous catalog, most of which is hardcore punk- so hardcore to the point that I canít always understand whatís being said.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
11:59 AM on 07/24/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
Walking into Red 7 when it’s full of the local Austin punks never fails to be awesome. So many characters from across the area and beyond have piled in on a Wednesday night to witness the insanity that is The Casualties live show.

Opening band The Applicators are a group of Austinites who also happen to be kick ass women. Akin to Tsunami Bomb, The Applicators play solid punk rock and had the crowd moshing two songs in. Hands down one of my favorite local bands, the ladies shred from beginning to end, racing through original songs that many in the crowd, large for an opening band, seem to know.

The Applicators

The crowd grows even more as yet another local band, Lower Class Brats, begins to take the stage. These guys are hard to miss with frontman Bones DeLarge looking like a way cooler Billy Idol with his bleached hair and eccentric stage performance. The band has a pretty intense following, playing very politically charged street punk, it’s one of few local bands who have toured the world but always come back home. Lower Class Brats have nearly two decades worth of songs to choose from, all high-energy, honest, and in your face. The band sounded as tight as ever and had me wanting to mosh despite the fact that I would totally die.

Lower Class Brats

The crowd seemed to empty out a bit after Lower Class Brats, possibly because by this time it was 12:30 on a Wednesday night and even punks have to go to work, but those who stayed brought a lot of energy for a band some can’t believe are still around. Formed in 1990, The Casualties took the stage with less umph than I’ve seen before but I think it’s because they were lacked the mohawk of frontman Jorge Herrera. The band tore through song after song of their enormous catalog, most of which is hardcore punk- so hardcore to the point that I can’t always understand what’s being said. The crowd was invited up on stage at one point, inundating the small indoor space of Red 7- during this moment I realized how hard it is to photograph punks. The band took a moment during the close of their set to recognize the death of the last living Ramone, Tommy, and then proceeded to play a great cover of Rockaway Beach, a definite crowd pleaser. This band shows no signs of slowing down, despite approaching their 25th anniversary as a band.

The Casualties- plus a few fans

Full album here
12:40 PM on 07/24/14
kyleabent
Shaman
User Info.
Sweet! Lower Class Brats & The Casualties are still going! That is awesome. Nice pictures, by the way. And you're right... the casualties frontman without a Mohawk is not expected.
05:02 PM on 07/24/14
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
Women punk bands: one more reason Austin kicks ass.
06:00 PM on 07/24/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
Women punk bands: one more reason Austin kicks ass.
Word.
12:34 AM on 07/25/14
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
Did you snag tickets to Brand New? They went faaast.
08:59 PM on 07/25/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
Did you snag tickets to Brand New? They went faaast.
I did! I only picked up one, guess I should have grabbed a few more! Scalpers will be selling them cheap outside I'm sure... that's how it is for every damn Stubbs show.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos