Password

Album Review

The Vantage - Color Blind EP Album Cover

The Vantage - Color Blind EP

Reviewed by
The Vantage - Color Blind
Release Date: July 15, 2014
Record Label: Unsigned
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Vantage's sophomore EP is exactly the kind of album I've been looking for. Color Blind is light, melodic, catchy, and so much fun. It's the perfect EP for breezy summer days and nights. Hearing "Bones" immediately calls to mind the image of a beach at night, and that sounds like the ideal backdrop for these five songs.

These songs are sunny pop songs that ought to be played on the radio, preferably while driving with the windows and top down. James Mason's voice is the kind of voice that you can't help but sing along to, and while, they are a pop band, yeah, Jackson Wise still has some nice guitar chops, as "Glow" adequately proves. The high point comes in the form of centerpiece "Faith," a song with a hook so immediately gripping I couldn't believe I'd never heard it before. The song's first verse builds to a climax before all the instruments drop out as Mason cries out, "I call that living in the moment!" It'd be hard for any song to follow that up, and unfortunately "Time of War" falls a bit flat. By no means a bad track, the acoustic ballad just doesn't really go anywhere for the duration of its three-and-a-half minutes, despite its nice chorus.

Color Blind is The Vantage's second EP in less than a year and a half, which is in itself commendable. But for them to put out an enjoyable release so quickly? Well, that's more than just impressive. Hopefully next year will bring another release from The Vantage, and hopefully it'll be a full-length - as good as these songs are, it's easy to burn out only the five in one summer.

7/10

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version