AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Money News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Economist: How a Tattoo Affects Your Job Prospects

Posted by - 11:54 AM on 08/02/14
The Economist breaks down your career chances if you have tattoos. The video feature can be found here, the article here:
In a forthcoming study, Mr Timming and colleagues asked participants to assess job candidates based on their pictures, some of which were altered to add a neck tattoo. Inked candidates consistently ranked lower, despite being equally qualified. In a separate study Mr Timming found that many service-sector managers were squeamish about conspicuous ink, particularly when filling jobs that involve dealing with customers.

Submitted by mr_raccoon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 47
12:01 PM on 08/02/14
Jake Gyllenhaal
Baloney and beans
User Info.
12:02 PM on 08/02/14
red8ge
@JohnxHill
User Info.
not really shocking. I'll probably fill out my sleeves but I just couldn't get a neck piece. We'll see where culture is in 10 years
12:27 PM on 08/02/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
People should only get tats where the can cover them....then, you don't have to worry about being judged by an employer
01:00 PM on 08/02/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
People should only get tats where the can cover them....then, you don't have to worry about being judged by an employer

Exactly. I'd never get face, neck or hand tattoos unless I was a rock star or someone not having to work in corporate America.
01:17 PM on 08/02/14
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
Exactly. I'd never get face, neck or hand tattoos unless I was a rock star or someone not having to work in corporate America.
word, the way i see it i think tattoos are awesome but i refuse to get anything on my arms face, fuck even shin area unless im making so much money i make dan bilzerian look poor... well maybe not that rich but ya get what im sayin.
01:22 PM on 08/02/14
qwerty22
--
User Info.
so in other words they're in the same boat as people without tattoos
01:45 PM on 08/02/14
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
Jesus, those are some of the most ignorant comments I've come across, and I used to read MSN.com
02:17 PM on 08/02/14
dohare
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
not really shocking. I'll probably fill out my sleeves but I just couldn't get a neck piece. We'll see where culture is in 10 years

well, speaking for my profession.

Public accounting in 1920:

Public accounting in 2014:

Difference: We use computers and women are starting to represent a good portion.

However, I don't think tattoos will be accepted in corporate america, ESPECIALLY consulting/auditor/adviser roles in a long long time because regardless of who you are, there is a stigma, and chances are there is a person who is as smart/capable as you out there without tattoos.
02:18 PM on 08/02/14
dohare
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Jesus, those are some of the most ignorant comments I've come across, and I used to read MSN.com
what comments are ignorant?
02:41 PM on 08/02/14
saveferris
Fine, I tried
User Info.
what comments are ignorant?
"Tattoos are graffiti on the body, both are equally hideous gang markings mistaken for "art". To me tattoos scream "EX-CON" or "BLUE COLLAR". People who are covered in them scream "I'm into S&M and other kinky sex", especially if they combined that with body piercings and heavy make-up, which almost always seem to go together"

That's just one of a few
02:44 PM on 08/02/14
codeseven
/* No route to host */
User Info.
so in other words they're in the same boat as people without tattoos
Haha, basically.
02:48 PM on 08/02/14
OnLettingGo
User Info.
The stigma of tattoos partially comes from the medical field which virtually considered multiple tattoos to be pathognomonic for antisocial personality disorder. The shift in cultural acceptance of tattoos has changed that but the history is still there and people have difficulty separating that view from the current reality of tattoos.
03:50 PM on 08/02/14
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Really you just gotta steer clear of face/hands/neck and everything else nobody gives a shit about.
04:00 PM on 08/02/14
SilenceBrokenTT
Here I am alive...
User Info.
I got three joes kicked out of the Army since the new tattoo rules were put into place. Idiots, all of them. They think they can get around it, or they can hide what they get, but no bueno. They care more about ink than their family.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos