AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Tour Dates News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

House of Blues in California Being Torn Down

Posted by - 11:17 AM on 08/06/14
The LA Times is reporting that House of Blues on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood will be torn down to make room for more hotels and condos. Pretty sure this is the first place I saw Something Corporate, Gym Class Heroes, The Juliana Theory, and countless other bands during my collegiate stint in California.
"Regarding the story, our legendary House of Blues on Sunset Boulevard the flagship for 20 years of our popular venues around the country will operate business as usual while we look for a new home," the statement said. "We have a terrific relationship with our landlord who has other plans to develop the property and were working together on a very smooth transition. We have two-plus years to find that perfect spot for a new Los Angeles House of Blues home with no interruption for music fans. Stay tuned. The best is yet to come!"

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
11:24 AM on 08/06/14
quiksilver21k
User Info.
Huge bummer - HOB on Sunset is a landmark and a perfect-sized venue for these "types" of bands. I know the LA music scene will survive without it, but still hate to see it go.

P.S. I DEFINITELY saw a Juliana Theory/SoCo show at HOB back in 2004/2005.
11:27 AM on 08/06/14
Sean.Murphy
Stay Hungry, Stay Free
User Info.
I think the House Of Blues in Atlantic City is going to go next. The Showboat hotel that it's in is closing Labor Day weekend. I love these venues. Shame.
11:29 AM on 08/06/14
christophsays
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
beyond bummed about this. I caught YC OA here...Starting Line Say it 10 year...Wonder Years most recently, I think...hell, I actually got to play a show here once...one of the few things I'm proud to have accomplished is playing a show at the House of Blues on Sunset. wish it was getting torn down to get renovated to be even better rather than for hotels and condos...guess you can't win 'em all. gonna try and catch as many shows here in the next 2 years before it goes.
11:29 AM on 08/06/14
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
Despite my somewhat close proximity I've seen any shows there because the House of Blues Anaheim gets the same shows/tours rolling through. At least they're going to relocate!
11:53 AM on 08/06/14
positiv-o
throwing punches at ocean waves
User Info.
I'm pretty upset, they definitely need to find a new spot, but I doubt they'll be able to be on the Sunset Strip if they're going to be developing as much as they've been talking about.

It's really the only venue in Hollywood/LA that's this size, I've seen a ton of great shows there. I don't think I've really ever had a bad experience. So I'm hoping that the transition will be as smooth for everyone involved.
11:59 AM on 08/06/14
ACA
Next Show: Balance&Composure 12/27
User Info.
I think the House Of Blues in Atlantic City is going to go next. The Showboat hotel that it's in is closing Labor Day weekend. I love these venues. Shame.
This venue is seriously, seriously underrated. It's a great small place to see bands on their big runs. I've seen most of my favorite bands here at some point. Additionally:

- parking is easy, safe, and cheap (or free)
- there are accommodations right there if you want to stay the night
- there is immediate entertainment of all sorts (girls dancing, gambling, drinking) right there for pre/post-show
- you can skip the line if you eat dinner or spend something stupid like $10 before the show (aka, a few beers) at their gift shop or restaurant, which is pretty good itself
- they sell a small number of tickets, but the venue is huge so it's not overly packed
- it's on a beach, so you have perfect day plans
- it's on a boardwalk
- there are about a hundred bars and restaurants within walking distance
12:03 PM on 08/06/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
Cue the NIMBY folk. This is happening in Seattle too, it's what we get for a highly populated, not that dense city. Can they argue that it's a historical building? Is it that relevant? I've never been, but I've always streamed shows from that venue.
12:14 PM on 08/06/14
boomer08
User Info.
Bummer. I've been to a few shows there. I live much closer to the Anaheim one and let's face it, Orange County is a million times better than LA. But the shows I did see there were great. The Starting Line and Goldfinger are ones that stand out.
12:23 PM on 08/06/14
Uncalled Four
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
my wife and I saw our first concert together here. Motion City Soundtrack's 4 albums, 2 nights, 7 cities tour

not the best venue but it'll always hold a sentimental place in my heart
12:26 PM on 08/06/14
Farva2
Registered Member
User Info.
Nooooo! this is one of my favorites venues. I've seen linkin park play a secret show, I've sang into soupys mic, and jammed hard with dozens of people that I barely know all for the love of music. Rest in peace HOB sunset, you will be missed.
12:56 PM on 08/06/14
tinylilnative
Brand New? Nope, never heard of 'em
User Info.
That definitely wasn't 2004. I remember that show. Leaving Through the Window had just come out and Juliana Theory headlining.
01:00 PM on 08/06/14
tub and rug
I found a spark in the normal.
User Info.
It is always a bummer when a venue closes down. I have so many memories attached to venues in Chicago.
01:04 PM on 08/06/14
noodledancer
i swear i'll never let you go.
User Info.
That's sad news- I went to many shows there during college (I think SoCo was the first). I will try to go back before it goes.
01:15 PM on 08/06/14
uberlou
User Info.
It looks like, while the original HOB Sunset is being torn down, they're going to relocate it:
https://twitter.com/HOBSunset/status/496791931339669504

Quote:
‏@HOBSunset
Its biz as usual while we look for an amazing new home. We have years to find a perfect spot for HOB LA. Stay tuned!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos