AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

The Gaslight Anthem News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Brian Fallon Talks With Noisey About Wanting a Normal Life

Posted by - 11:40 AM on 08/06/14
Damn, wish I had seen this last night -- I could have had three The Gaslight Anthem spots at the top of the page. Noisey sat down with Brian Fallon to talk about the band's new album and how Brian just wants a normal life.
So to save himself from himself, Fallon pulled the plug on all social media and vanished for most of the past year. "I'd had enough of myself," he remembers. "I was like, 'Youíre an idiot. You just keep running your stupid mouth and you say things that you donít mean. And you say them because youíre in the moment and youíre hot about something. So you know what, self? I'm cutting you off. You need to shut up.'"

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
11:49 AM on 08/06/14
Sean.Murphy
Stay Hungry, Stay Free
User Info.
Is this the first he is opening up about his divorce? I had wondered why some of these songs were so depressing and break-up-ish....bummer to hear.
11:53 AM on 08/06/14
danielinskeep
i can spell confusion with a K.
User Info.
Great interview. Excited to hear the rest of the album, but iTunes radio keeps cutting out on me.
Sean.Murphy
Stay Hungry, Stay Free
User Info.
also, what an excellent article. I feel like Fallon really is a mysterious person, and I love it when every so often we can peek into his mind outside of TGA lyrics.
Dunlop Park
User Info.
Happy I read this interview before I've listened to the record. It's going to put a lot of things in perspective for me and I want to really sit and hone when I finally give it a listen tonight.
11:57 AM on 08/06/14
SteveLikesMusic
I'm A Man, Dammit
User Info.
Welp, that explains the album's lyrical content. Great interview.
12:04 PM on 08/06/14
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
First time he's publicly mentioned the divorce. Totally explains the content in Get Hurt and Molly and the Zombies.

Great article.
12:15 PM on 08/06/14
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
Wow. Yea, I had no idea about the divorce.
12:18 PM on 08/06/14
derekjd
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What a great interview. Really gives the album a bit of a new perspective.
12:30 PM on 08/06/14
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
This explains why get hurt feels like a stand alone album that the band had to release in order to move on to whatever their next phase is even if it's a return to form.

Also this makes the title track even more powerful. The weight of the line "maybe you needed a change, and maybe I was in the way" line is probably the highlight of the album for me. So simple, but so gutting.
12:35 PM on 08/06/14
btown4life
User Info.
Great interview. I picked up on some of these themes on this record and also Molly and the Zombies. Sorry to hear what inspired it, but man, has he created some great stuff.

Not to mention, I think I missed seeing the photos in the article being taken by a couple hours. He's in my favorite cafe!
12:42 PM on 08/06/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
I didn't know he got divorced. Met his now ex-wife a few times, several years ago, and she was super awesome. The lifestyle of a rock and roller is just a tough one to be the wife of, I do suppose.
12:43 PM on 08/06/14
GNARgnarGnar
Hi i'm Casey Aylward!
User Info.
Short and sweet. Excellent article IMO. Not a gaslight fan, was not gonna check out Get Hurt, will now purchase on release day.
12:44 PM on 08/06/14
dash64
This Is My Design
User Info.
Loved that interview, I'll have to give the album another listen now. Wish I could get "Have Mercy" on a physical copy though.
01:06 PM on 08/06/14
jpd19125
Screw Flanders
User Info.
Loved that interview, I'll have to give the album another listen now. Wish I could get "Have Mercy" on a physical copy though.

seriously. hopefully they just press the b-sides soon.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos