AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

The Gaslight Anthem News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Brian Fallon on Music Feeds Podcast

Posted by - 10:26 AM on 08/12/14
Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem is on the recent episode of the Music Feeds Podcast.
“But on this one they’re like, ‘Fuck you guys, you’re not saving anything. This record blows’. I’ve read some pretty funny reviews that are obviously like, ‘Fuck those guys, they suck’. And then I’ve read reviews that are actually like, ‘Whoa, that’s a pretty ballsy move to really change up the game.’”

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
10:55 AM on 08/12/14
sakattack123
User Info.
I guess I just don't see how the new album is changing up the game as much as he thinks it is
11:31 AM on 08/12/14
joemcgrady
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I guess I just don't see how the new album is changing up the game as much as he thinks it is
To a casual TGA listener it's not a big change but to someone who listens to them a lot it is. The lyrical content is much more personal, they use way less of the same chord progressions they used to, the lead guitar does much less of the melody behind the vocals which is signature TGA. I could go on. On the surface it's a rock record and that's what TGA does but when you look at the specifics they've changed a lot of the 'formula' they use.
11:45 AM on 08/12/14
justballz
User Info.
I don't understand what he means by bending backwards to get on the radio, or for that matter anything in life. It's always a trade off of it have something you want (airtime in this case), what can you do for me.

My uncle has some crazy stories of what his band had to do in the early 80s to make it on the Chicago music scene. Many of which involved plenty of cocaine. So a 7am callin I wouldn't think is a big deal.
11:59 AM on 08/12/14
SteveLikesMusic
also ice cream.
User Info.
Brian is in Kanye mode on this, and I love it.
12:04 PM on 08/12/14
ReidAR27
let's chop cats! let's chop cats!
User Info.
I listened to this and it has me a bit worried that it won't be too long before Brian is just totally disenchanted with the music industry and just stops altogether with the interviews/media and new releases become much more sporadic (ala Brand New). Hoping I'm wrong but he just seems to be so angry lately.
01:16 PM on 08/12/14
holypinto
http://holypinto.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I listened to this and it has me a bit worried that it won't be too long before Brian is just totally disenchanted with the music industry and just stops altogether with the interviews/media and new releases become much more sporadic (ala Brand New). Hoping I'm wrong but he just seems to be so angry lately.
Yeah I agree with you. He doesn't seem like a happy bunny at the moment. Personally not too enthralled with the new album just yet, but won't give up on it just yet.

I wish he'd let himself be a bit more proud, comfortable and happy with his level of success. I guess as we've learned countless times recently that it doesn't solve some of the deeper struggles.

Great songwriter, all the best to him.
01:27 PM on 08/12/14
asthenia*
Never to see any other way...
User Info.
i don't understand how someone who loves music like Fallon could be so naive about the nature of industry.
01:55 PM on 08/12/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
i don't understand how someone who loves music like Fallon could be so naive about the nature of industry.
I don't think being disenchanted showcases a naivete.
02:18 PM on 08/12/14
burnstarsteve
Swimmin' with bow-legged women
User Info.
To a casual TGA listener it's not a big change but to someone who listens to them a lot it is. The lyrical content is much more personal, they use way less of the same chord progressions they used to, the lead guitar does much less of the melody behind the vocals which is signature TGA. I could go on. On the surface it's a rock record and that's what TGA does but when you look at the specifics they've changed a lot of the 'formula' they use.
That's only changing up TGA's "game" though, it is not like they're raising a huge middle finger to rock music as we know it and turning it on its head. All they've done is manage to stray a little out of their comfort zone. I love everything Brian does, but he's been talking for months about how groundbreaking all of this is and now that so many people have heard it and are underwhelmed by the "great risks" they took (not the same as being underwhelmed by the album as a whole), he is acting like everyone who disagrees just doesn't "get it."
02:25 PM on 08/12/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
When did Brian say it would be "groundbreaking"?
03:48 PM on 08/12/14
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
The lyrics are definitely different but the sound doesn't sound too far removed from their earlier stuff.

Brian has always been a passionate person, and with all the extra money he made bending over backwards to make radio probabaly getting halved by the woman he loved in his divorce, I can understand why he has been more intense and irate in this promotional tour when all that really matters is the music, which is still quality.
04:27 PM on 08/12/14
adamKS
They call me Lloyd Braun
User Info.
I don't think I've ever heard fallon drop so many F bombs or profanity in an interview before. .I thought he was Christian?

I love his music and band but I thought just awhile back he said he wasn't going to stick his foot in his own mouth anymore, I agree with what he is saying 100% but sometimes he needs to stop talking and move on with the interview
06:24 PM on 08/12/14
jimmyeatsboys
User Info.
this is amazing. very interesting stuff and i've rarely heard brian this angry. i love it
06:48 PM on 08/12/14
golferpunk1
I'm not used to this temptation
User Info.
Am I missing something? This doesn't even seem like it is a podcast. Can't get it on my phone for the life of me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos