AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Money News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Bandposters: Easy Printing of Venue Posters

Posted by - 10:35 AM on 08/20/14
Billboard profiles the new start-up Bandposters.
Bandposters is an easy, affordable do-it-yourself tool for both the design and printing of concert posters (or posters for other purposes). Customers use a web-based tool to design the poster. Bandpages handles the printing and mailing. The service is integrated with Songkick and Bandsintown to pull venue information and create a poster for every date chosen.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
10:53 AM on 08/20/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
graphic designers are going to have a field day with this one. sure, this is great if you want a shitty looking generic poster. If you want a poster for 15 bucks, you're going to get a poster that looks like 15 bucks. does the 15 bucks include copyright? probably not, considering that you can upload any picture from facebook (lol, that print quality is going to be legit)

"At the earliest, we’ll ship 45 days before the gig."

oh my god, just hire a graphic designer to do it quicker and better. the FAQ is killing me.
11:00 AM on 08/20/14
HeyItsAllyssa
Graphic Designer / AllyssaMarae.com
User Info.
Interesting idea but I think it needs some more tweaking beforehand. Also, I hope they have really patient customer service. My current company is a startup in the print industry and you NEED customer service to deal with this kinda thing. Especially in the beginning. Bands are gonna eat them alive if stuff is late and/or printed wrong or just bad in general.
11:10 AM on 08/20/14
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Too niche, their margins can't even be that good, would not invest. But if you could license the concept to other companies and get in some different spaces you might have something. Get a couple central hubs, tweak the concept to send out fliers, pamphlets, whatever, have distributors waiting, then you have an automated delivery system for advertising wherever you want people to see your brand. Talk about that and I'd consider taking a piece, but right now it'd take too much of my time to get you to any place profitable for this level of equity.

I'm out.
11:32 AM on 08/20/14
B.Leibo
User Info.
graphic designers are going to have a field day with this one. sure, this is great if you want a shitty looking generic poster. If you want a poster for 15 bucks, you're going to get a poster that looks like 15 bucks. does the 15 bucks include copyright? probably not, considering that you can upload any picture from facebook (lol, that print quality is going to be legit)

"At the earliest, we’ll ship 45 days before the gig."

oh my god, just hire a graphic designer to do it quicker and better. the FAQ is killing me.
I mean I've been one for 10 years now, things change, one thing that will never change... You're creative or you're not. Art 101: ANYONE CAN LEARN THE TOOLS, not everyone will have a knack for conceptualization or natural ability to be artistic . I love listening to music...I think I have good taste in music; however, I don't have it in me to to write or play music. Sure I can learn HOW to, doesn't mean I'll be good at it. Everyone thinks they're an artist these days because they can put a filter on a photo... this is no different. In the end, you get what you pay for.

Designers live by this moto: Choose two, (however I think bandposters wants to make it so you can only have one and I can guarantee it wont be "good".)

11:41 AM on 08/20/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
I mean I've been one for 10 years now, things change, one thing that will never change... You're creative or you're not. Art 101: ANYONE CAN LEARN THE TOOLS, not every will have a knack for conceptualization or natural ability to be artistic . I love listening to music...I think I have good taste in music; however, I don't have it in me to to write or play music. Sure I can learn HOW to, doesn't mean I'll be good at it. Everyone thinks they're an artist these days because they can put a filter on a photo... this is no different. In the end, you get what you pay for.

Designers live by this moto: Choose two, (however I think bandposters wants to make it so you can only have one.)

yes sir! I'm a designer too, and I thankfully got out of the freelance designing for bands thing, and just went to the corporate route. I couldn't take "can you do a t-shirt design? and then i'll pay if I like it. oh yeah, i need it tomorrow to send to print" or "can you do me a CD layout front and back? I have $50 budget, but I'm going to give my photographer $500"

this DIY service isn't new.. I remember there was a place where you can pitch what you want in a logo, and then a "designer" would make you a logo within a day. i read this article, that this graphic designer tried it out, and it was super generic bought stock art with helvetica font. it sucked obviously.
11:53 AM on 08/20/14
B.Leibo
User Info.
yes sir! I'm a designer too, and I thankfully got out of the freelance designing for bands thing, and just went to the corporate route. I couldn't take "can you do a t-shirt design? and then i'll pay if I like it. oh yeah, i need it tomorrow to send to print" or "can you do me a CD layout front and back? I have $50 budget, but I'm going to give my photographer $500"

this DIY service isn't new.. I remember there was a place where you can pitch what you want in a logo, and then a "designer" would make you a logo within a day. i read this article, that this graphic designer tried it out, and it was super generic bought stock art with helvetica font. it sucked obviously.
99 designs. Yeah that shit is dangerous, the bad thing about it too... none of it is protected. So if you pitch a design and they don't use it, its now open for the public to use. I design fulltime for the Army, but occasionally do freelance, but only if the customer base it right. Some people get how the industry works, some don't - hence freelance can be tricky. I highly recommend this book if you ever get back to the freelance side... its great, focuses on the business side of it all. I usually require a deposit for the work and if they like the design afterwards, they can decide if they want to purchase it or not. It can be difficult to educate the consumer but this book really helped. I would check it out!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0932102166/absolutepunk-20/
12:02 PM on 08/20/14
christophsays
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
glad to see AP.net's graphic designers come and discuss this. as a recent graduate working in fashion but really wanting to jump into music related design, it's cool to see everyone's thoughts on this subject
12:18 PM on 08/20/14
permanentdan
User Info.
I honestly cant see this doing very well, but its an interesting concept. As they say, you get what you pay for.
12:26 PM on 08/20/14
troym03
www.td-designs.com
User Info.
I mean I've been one for 10 years now, things change, one thing that will never change... You're creative or you're not. Art 101: ANYONE CAN LEARN THE TOOLS, not everyone will have a knack for conceptualization or natural ability to be artistic . I love listening to music...I think I have good taste in music; however, I don't have it in me to to write or play music. Sure I can learn HOW to, doesn't mean I'll be good at it. Everyone thinks they're an artist these days because they can put a filter on a photo... this is no different. In the end, you get what you pay for.

Designers live by this moto: Choose two, (however I think bandposters wants to make it so you can only have one and I can guarantee it wont be "good".)

Absolutely correct on this.

I take music/band work as passion projects knowing that budgets are no where near what they used to be. Dan Cassaro's recent story is a good example that even large companies take advantage of this profession. Designers need learn the business side of the industry and know their worth.

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/meet-h...rk-free-159579
12:31 PM on 08/20/14
B.Leibo
User Info.
Absolutely correct on this.

I take music/band work as passion projects knowing that budgets are no where near what they used to be. Dan Cassaro's recent story is a good example that even large companies take advantage of this profession. Designers need learn the business side of the industry and know their worth.

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/meet-h...rk-free-159579
YES! I saw that the other day. I love his work and his response was way too epic for it's own good. Just proof that if the big dogs can't get it no one will. Its more justifiable for the every man... but a MASSIVE corporation like Showtime should know that they did not approach this right.
12:31 PM on 08/20/14
dannyrutledge
Luchadore
User Info.
I don't see this doing very well either. I can't see professional bands using this, maybe smaller unsigned ones that don't know any better. Most record labels have a designer or two that they would go to for gig posters. I can see maybe promoters or even venues getting on board with it though.

Designers unite!
01:04 PM on 08/20/14
danieldanger
User Info.
as a guy whos made gigposters professionally for ten years: this is not competition. because youd have to be an idiot to use this, it looks awful, and it still doesnt allow you to be a cheapskate because the pricing structure is still $15 a show. the people who would use this i wouldnt want as clients anyways, good riddance.
01:40 PM on 08/20/14
revrev
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey all, I'm Mike Fabio, co-founder of Bandposters, and I'd first like to thank you all for the feedback and comments. We're a young startup, and every bit of feedback helps us shape the future of our company - and our software.

I'd like to address the designers (seems there are a lot of you!), as I believe the design portion of our software is only one piece of the puzzle. We're working on much better tools, of course (stay tuned, I'd love to get your feedback again), though we'd never expect to replace a professional designer. The primary value proposition for our software is get posters printed and shipped quickly, cheaply, and with as little friction as possible. We built our software to generate posters for hundreds of show dates at one time, and fulfill to all of them without lifting a finger.

Many of our artists choose to use their own designs you can upload a full designed poster, and we'll handle all the printing and fulfillment and many choose to upload a photo into our template.

As to the commenter who questioned the 45 day shipping this is a marketing concern, not a limitation of our capabilities. Most venues will throw away a poster if it arrives too early in advance of a show, and similarly they won't hang the poster if it arrives too close to the show date. In our interviews with venues, we found the ideal time for a poster to arrive is 3-5 weeks prior to a show. (Note: we actually print and ship in 24 business hours, and we send every shipment via 2-day mail)

All this to say, we're definitely listening to feedback like that in this thread, and we're using it to build better and more powerful tools to help artists and others have one less thing to worry about.

Thank you guys, even the haters ;)
03:20 PM on 08/20/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
99 designs. Yeah that shit is dangerous, the bad thing about it too... none of it is protected. So if you pitch a design and they don't use it, its now open for the public to use. I design fulltime for the Army, but occasionally do freelance, but only if the customer base it right. Some people get how the industry works, some don't - hence freelance can be tricky. I highly recommend this book if you ever get back to the freelance side... its great, focuses on the business side of it all. I usually require a deposit for the work and if they like the design afterwards, they can decide if they want to purchase it or not. It can be difficult to educate the consumer but this book really helped. I would check it out!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0932102166/absolutepunk-20/
yassss, i remember this book. this was required reading in school. i don't know, there's REALLY good money in freelancing, I just don't think I have the patience for it anymore. although I do miss the creative freedom.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos