AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Facebook News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Don Giovanni Records Owner Calls Out Recess Records and Asian Man...

Posted by - 01:04 PM on 08/26/14
Joe Steinhardt of Don Giovanni Records has posted a message on Facebook challenging Recess Records and Asian Man Records to speak up about their association with The Queers and Screeching Weasel after multiple incidents over the years.
Forget the Ice Bucket Challenge. I challenge two labels, Recess Records and Asian Man Records to completely disassociate with sexist, racist, and homophobic punk bands like The Queers and Screeching Weasel. It is ridiculous that anyone legitimate would be working with them to release their music after the long-term pattern (note: not isolated incidents) of sexist, racist, and homophobic crap they spew online and offline. Mike and Todd, you can do better. Mike, the things Joe Queer writes on his facebook and says at shows goes completely against your mission of working "with bands that are ANTI-RACIST, ANTI-SEXIST, ANTI-PREJUDICE, and who support the ideas of peace and unity" that has always been one of the most inspiring aspects of your label. And Todd, Screeching Weasel's current behavior goes far beyond "shock punk" or whatever the hell he thinks it is.

I also grew up a fan of Screeching Weasel and The Queers and it took me a while to come to terms with my fandom vs. the current actions of the band members. But as isolated incidents that I tried to chalk up to people saying stupid things or doing stupid things slowly became patterns of sexist racist and homophobic behavior over the course of the last 5 years I have been forced associate these bands with nothing but their sexism, racism, and homophobia.

There is a place in music for shock, and there is a place in art for free speech. But there is also a place in music for calling on others to stop giving power and a voice to people spewing hate speech, and so I am calling on you Recess and Asian Man to do better and disassociate with The Queers and Screeching Weasel.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 135
01:08 PM on 08/26/14
ratsforcandy
i miss the seasons..
User Info.
A homophobic band called The Queers...
incognitojones
www.dopeshithappens.com
User Info.
Anyone who puts out Laura Stevenson records has my full support. Thumbs up emoji
Schultzy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What year is this
01:13 PM on 08/26/14
red8ge
@JohnXHill
User Info.
Why settle things like an adult and talk to people directly, when you can sling mud on Facebook!
01:13 PM on 08/26/14
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
Anyone want to link to what these bands have said/done?
01:16 PM on 08/26/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Anyone want to link to what these bands have said/done?
after multiple incidents over the years.

Good starting place.
01:24 PM on 08/26/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
Bless Joe Steinhardt. Ben Weasel is a fucking dick.
01:32 PM on 08/26/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Joe and Ben's behavior doesn't really bother me. Or rather, I'm just numb to it. Already know they are assholes and glad I never got into either of their music so doing more stuff is just like "whatever"

But the number of people defending them here with comments like "punk isn't politically correct" is really sickening. Yes, punk isn't supposed to be politically correct. But its also not supposed to be sexist, racist, homophobic, and in any other way hateful and Joe's comments on his facebook post show a clear detachment from reality.

Choice comments of Joe's:

"If these idiot protestors weren't acting like animals the police wouldn't have shown up in force."

"The thing you knee jerk lemmings don't realise is I couldn't care less if this Brown thug was white brown yellow or blue. From what I see and read he's a useless thug and I believe he jumped the officer."

" I'm not pro-cop at all either. Check out Secrets of the River on 48 Hours. The kid convicted of it Christopher Wilson is a pop punk fan I found out. In my opinion after talking to Chris himself and finding out information was that the cops were totally corrupt" (Chris Wilson is white in case that wasn't inherently obvious)

So you know, he isn't pro-cop or racist. He just assumes a black guy who gets shot is clearly a thug, but white fan of his clearly is framed for murder.

Seriously, this guy is a dbag. We already know that. I just don't get why people keep supporting and defending him. If any music community can rise up and say "Seriously bro, I like some of the songs you've written but that shit is not appropriate" it should really be the punk community but apparently being punk is actually about saying whatever racist homophobic bullshit you want and being accepted for it.

Really glad guys like Don Giovanni Records and Elway (who basically said "If you like the Queers after knowing how bad Joe Queer is, please don't listen to our band" on FB today) are speaking up. Hopefully some change will come of it.
01:35 PM on 08/26/14
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Can anyone bring actual citation of homophobic or racist acts to my attention that I'm not aware of? Yeah, Ben took a swing at a girl. Where are these other things I've never heard of?
01:41 PM on 08/26/14
sidekicksuicide
these are not just mountains
User Info.
Bring it, Joe. I like Mike a lot, but it's not consistent with Asian Man's public standard.
01:45 PM on 08/26/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
This is excellent. But yes, Laura Stevenson. The end.
01:45 PM on 08/26/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
Can anyone bring actual citation of homophobic or racist acts to my attention that I'm not aware of? Yeah, Ben took a swing at a girl. Where are these other things I've never heard of?
http://punksexism.wordpress.com/2011...nti-trans-too/
01:46 PM on 08/26/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
Reading the FB comments, and I like how dismissive Ben is towards people who are legitimately being polite and open to a civilized conversation. Mostly because it's "too long and boring to read". Nice.
01:57 PM on 08/26/14
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
after multiple incidents over the years.

Good starting place.
Oh I didn't that. That second link pretty much did it for me. Never listened to these bands, pretty sure I'll never bother now.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos