Password

Album Review

The Wedding - The Sound the Steel EP Album Cover

The Wedding - The Sound the Steel EP

Reviewed by
The WeddingThe Sound The Steel EP
Record Label: Brave New World Records
Release Date: June 17, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Being the jaded asshole that I am, shows are usually a time for me to put my “judging” glasses on and scoff at anyone or anything not fully familiar to me. This includes people in black and red striped shirts, burly bartenders, and most of all, opening bands. I may have only shelled out 13 dollars to see one act, but that doesn’t mean I’m letting you off the hook. As you can imagine I’m let down more times than not; I’m a hard bastard to please. The Wedding didn’t give a flying f**k. At this particular show they were even showcasing a new singer. He sounded familiar (and great) but that was it. Later I realized Matt Shelton, a high school hero of mine because of his band Letter Kills, was The Wedding’s new singer. He killed it and I cheered at louder than normal volumes. He was singing someone else’s up-tempo, Christian-oriented rockers that night, but now on The Sound The Steel we are invited to hear if Shelton has any magic left in him. Oh boy does he.

The Sound The Steel’s train motif doesn’t necessarily steer the album, but it does connect it. Sound bites of moving trains end most songs and let us know the guitar solos and gang vocals will continue on for at least another track. These five songs (all starting with the letter R) show much more diversity than the band’s prior release, Polarity. “Renew” plays like a Something Corporate song with much gnarlier teeth. The piano tinkles simply while guitars move about in the lower, chuggier register. It takes a few listens, but you’ll accept “Renew” as one of the EP’s grander moments. “Return” roars in with metalcore-inspired guitars and Shelton harmonizing like the punk idol he is. The song’s infusions of gang vocals help to outshine the fairly mediocre lyrics and there are legitimate rock opera moments (complete with pounding double bass!).

“Reveal” begins innocently enough with light guitars and the lines, “It’s all done in silence / In the panic of the night / Take a risk / Come back to life / Here the darkness / Meets the light.” This moment of reflection is very brief, however, and guitars smash through to mimic Shelton’s signature stutter-sing (listen to “Receive” for the best example of this). The album closes quite theatrically with the violin and piano ballad “Redeem.” When I first heard this song live, I was less than impressed. But Shelton and his bandmates really cleaned things up for the recorded version. As long as the overtly religious lyrics don’t scare the bejesus out of you, that is. The song’s Southern-rock atmosphere and uplifting handclaps will move you (to buy the record).

The Wedding has a new fan. A fan that will watch closely, like a momma bird. Brave New World may not be able to contain these guys – sorry, dudes. When you’ve got technical drumming and heavy guitars that are so tightly wrapped in catchy-coated shells, things are going to get out of hand. Shelton has given the band new life, and in turn they have given him masterfully created pop-punk backgrounds. It’s a match made in heaven.

(F**k writer’s block.)

Recommended If You Like: Letter Kills, Memphis May Fire's guitar work, turning radios up, Set Your Goals if they formed at the University of Arkansas, buying brand new men

When You're Awaywww.myspace.com/thewedding

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
07:41 AM on 06/29/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
sweet review

will be picking this up
08:58 AM on 06/29/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
(yes, yes, f**k it.)

Sounds good.. I've just recently gotten into Polarity, but i'll probably check this out for the new lead.
09:36 AM on 06/29/08
cereal4life
User Info.
Haha nice review. I thought Polarity had a lot of diversity so this should be an interesting listen indeed! I'm guessing that this new singer is an excellent addition to the Wedding. I'll be picking this up/buying it online for sure! I've heard the band Letter Kills mentioned a lot in RIYL sections for a lot of the bands I enjoy. Are they an older band are they? I think I'll have to check them out too; any suggestions on where to start with them, Blake?
09:39 AM on 06/29/08
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
Quote:
Recommended If You Like: Letter Kills, Memphis May Fire's guitar work, turning radios up, Set Your Goals if they formed at the University of Arkansas, buying brand new men

Haha, I love the Set Your Goals RIYL.

I can't complain, I just walked away
And took more steps towards being safe

Haha nice review. I thought Polarity had a lot of diversity so this should be an interesting listen indeed! I'm guessing that this new singer is an excellent addition to the Wedding. I'll be picking this up/buying it online for sure! I've heard the band Letter Kills mentioned a lot in RIYL sections for a lot of the bands I enjoy. Are they an older band are they? I think I'll have to check them out too; any suggestions on where to start with them, Blake?

Unfortunately Letter Kills only came out with one album, The Bridge, in 2004, so that's where you should start (and where you will end). If you enjoy this EP, I'm sure you'll enjoy The Bridge.
09:53 AM on 06/29/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
(yes, yes, f**k it.)

Sounds good.. I've just recently gotten into Polarity, but i'll probably check this out for the new lead.

Definitely do that.
10:52 AM on 06/29/08
chhholly
"mtFbwy." "aawy."
User Info.
great review, i totally agree. i love this ep and think shelton does great as the new vocalist.
02:05 PM on 06/29/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Matt's vocals are terrific. He fits this band so perfectly.

lol @ censoring "fuck" but not "asshole"

Blake, you slay me
02:58 PM on 06/29/08
liar23
Yo
User Info.
Good review Blake, will check this out
08:17 PM on 06/29/08
cereal4life
User Info.

Unfortunately Letter Kills only came out with one album, The Bridge, in 2004, so that's where you should start (and where you will end). If you enjoy this EP, I'm sure you'll enjoy The Bridge.

Cheers bro!
12:04 AM on 06/30/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Matt's vocals are terrific. He fits this band so perfectly.

lol @ censoring "fuck" but not "asshole"

Blake, you slay me

Ha. You should have censored only "asshole" in that comment.
12:06 AM on 06/30/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Stutter-sing. I've been needing a name for whatever that vocal technique he does.
03:52 AM on 06/30/08
bluecrunchy
To shreds, you say.
User Info.
I saw these guys last week, and they put on an incredible/hilarious show.
06:35 AM on 06/30/08
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
As an fyi, the word "chuggier," is not in the dictionary. I know many reviewers throw it around, but it's completely made up and passing as valid, when it is actually not. Aside from that and the bizzare self-serving opening paragraph, it's a good review. I guess this isn't Paste Magazine, after all.
06:40 AM on 06/30/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
As an fyi, the word "chuggier," is not in the dictionary. I know many reviewers throw it around, but it's completely made up and passing as valid, when it is actually not. Aside from that and the bizzare self-serving opening paragraph, it's a good review. I guess this isn't Paste Magazine, after all.
"Poppy" and "poppier" aren't either, but they get used too.

Screw that a**hole Webster.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version