Password

Album Review

PMtoday - ...And Then the Hurricane Album Cover

PMtoday - ...And Then the Hurricane

Reviewed by
PMtoday - ...And Then the Hurricane
Record Label: None
Release Date: October 9, 2007
Music, in itself, is a form of expression, birthed at the hand of its composer in response to some kind of epiphanic sentiment (usually derived from either the natural intellect or standard variables such as love and hate). I find it somewhat peculiar that, even in juxtaposition to this obvious fact, that musical composition is so often associated with smooth melodies and generically patterned sequences. To me, it seems that most things that could reach such prominence within the bipolar intellect, and thus be worth translating into song, would not surface as articulate, planned-out ballads but instead explode upon release, sending sparks and shrapnel in every direction, leaving very little sense of unity in their wake. I consider this type of musical output to be the only truly honest reflection of man's afflicted train of thought. I will not attempt to explain the philosophical entirety of this thought but, instead, briefly acknowledge the basic anatomical logic behind it. Unlike other animals, the human mind is corrupted by reason and logic, keeping it from relying on instinct. Also, dissimilar to a robot, the man’s superior intelligence is corrupted by an instilled presence of animalistic instinct. I believe that it is this duality that produces what I have earlier referred to as the "bipolar intellect," an allusion to the mind's tendency to fluctuate between logic and instinct, between north and south, between euphoria and hopelessness. Now, this tendency is obviously influenced by circumstance such as the mental disorder phonetically associated with the aforementioned term, romantics, and certain securities but, even with those variables in consideration, the bipolar intellect exists in every functioning human being.

Arkansas quartet (though currently performing as a trio) PMtoday seem to produce their music with this agenda in mind as they create abstractly beautiful music in what would often be considered a less-than-beautiful fashion. Utilizing a style that I liken to a cross between The Fall of Troy and Trainwreck-era Boys Night Out with a small dash of The Receiving End of Sirens, PMtoday has independently released a full-length album that is neither lacking in musical competence or artistic expression, all the while maintaining a definite intensity at a very fast pace. This is not to say that I do not appreciate and furthermore enjoy a steady chorus or heart-felt acoustic anthem: I, myself, am even inclined towards such design but am still ready to acknowledge the idealistic flaws in the monotony. Truth be told, PMtoday's ...And Then the Hurricane does mix it up with a couple slower, more structurally-basic tracks which, in the case, just adds to the feeling of spontaneity and erraticism within the collection.

If I haven't already thoroughly hyped the eccentric quality of PMtoday, here's what I consider to be the real kicker: the acting three members of the group are brothers. This little factoid astounds me, likely more than most, considering the wide range of problems that often arise between siblings in the developmental years, let alone during a time of touring in close quarters. All three members make the proper contributions as each contributes both vocals and instrumentals. I could be wrong, having only witness the band's live sets on two occasions, but, from what I gather from the studio versions, I can only assume that vocal similarities allow a certain subtle versatility when performing dual vocal parts, a task the group executes with radiant brilliance.

Another reason I find myself attracted to the album's tracks is the sense of showmanship within many of the songs, as certain tracks seem to gain momentum with every second, as the final moments of the track exceeds the thresholds set by the preceding minutes. Songs such as "We Learn as We Grow," "Farewell the Ultimatum," and the album's title track vividly illustrate my point. No matter the speculation, each song delivers its own surprises and will likely please its listeners, if I know the Absolutepunk.net community as well as I think I do. I heartily despise conclusions and summarizations in general so I'll part with a simple statement: listen to PMToday.

Recommended if You LikeThe Fall of Troy, Circa Survive, At the Drive-In

myspace.com/pmtodaymusic
This review is a user submitted review from speakhandsforme. You can see all of speakhandsforme's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
12:24 PM on 07/09/08
murder=whiteout
Visser Three
User Info.
The music is really interesting, but I wish the vocals had a bit more diversity. He has a very limited, very high range, and it makes it hard for me to get through any of the songs.
01:59 PM on 07/09/08
xName Takenx
User Info.
I love these guys, I think they are phenomenal. I have their very first EP that they released several years ago. They have progressed A TON since then, and the full length is only their second album, and I think they are 17-19 years old. If they keep at it I'm sure they'll get big.
02:02 PM on 07/09/08
speakhandsforme
Rob the poor to feed the rich
User Info.
If they keep at it I'm sure they'll get big.
I'd love to agree given the fact that they are better than a great deal of the "big" bands...but what's going to be a large obstacle is a very barren regional market.
02:06 PM on 07/09/08
xName Takenx
User Info.
I'd love to agree given the fact that they are better than a great deal of the "big" bands...but what's going to be a large obstacle is a very barren regional market.

yea, arkansas isn't exactly the music capitol of the world, and they can't seem to keep a consistent line-up, but they have so much potential. I just hope they keep making music.
03:23 PM on 07/09/08
TellYourFriends
The Bad Guy
User Info.
This CD is so good. One of my buddies is obsessed with them and he somewhat got me into them.
04:24 PM on 07/09/08
speakhandsforme
Rob the poor to feed the rich
User Info.
yea, arkansas isn't exactly the music capitol of the world, and they can't seem to keep a consistent line-up, but they have so much potential. I just hope they keep making music.
Really, it's not just an Arkansas thing. They've performed quite a bit in the St. Louis area....which has been like a musical sandtrap for the past years. All bands benefit from a coastal beginning.
03:11 PM on 09/04/08
carlster!
This is a Battleground
User Info.
i bought this album back in januaryish and i absolutely adore it. i still listen to it on a daily basis...i think the lyrics are breathtaking...and the musical aspect of it?? wow...and the guys are so great; they have always managed to keep up with their fanbase even as they have managed to grow more appreciated...great band
11:30 PM on 09/14/08
Dustin0788
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
He has a very limited, very high range, and it makes it hard for me to get through any of the songs.

...your name is a blood brother's lyric.... and you're complaining about a high ranged voice?

Doesn't make much sense to me....

Obviously, tBB and PMt aren't anywhere close to being the same band, but I don't see how a high voice can be a reason why you can't get through any of the songs, if you're a fan of the Blood Brothers.

But they're both great bands, in my opinion.
11:20 PM on 10/11/08
carlster!
This is a Battleground
User Info.
...your name is a blood brother's lyric.... and you're complaining about a high ranged voice?

Doesn't make much sense to me....

Obviously, tBB and PMt aren't anywhere close to being the same band, but I don't see how a high voice can be a reason why you can't get through any of the songs, if you're a fan of the Blood Brothers.

But they're both great bands, in my opinion.

bravoo!!!
11:29 AM on 01/31/10
aealeman
User Info.
This review was a little over-the-top.
05:22 PM on 02/11/10
phillycheese37
I'll be back around
User Info.
This review was a little over-the-top.
This.

Also, I think you hit it right on the nose when you said "trainwreck-esque BNO." That indeed is a hefty compliment, but I think it's well deserved.
09:28 PM on 02/24/10
savestheday3x3
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
deff too high of a rating... probably like an 7.5 .... the new album is shaping up even better then this one.. so far the new songs looks like the new will be a 9.0

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos