AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Oh Juliet! - A Southern Boy's Guide to Raising the Dead Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Oh Juliet! - A Southern Boy's Guide to Raising the Dead

Reviewed by: dpatrickguy (07/02/08)
Oh Juliet! - A Southern Boy's Guide to Raising the Dead
Record Label: None
Release Date: July 10, 2007

"There must be something in that water that turns your complexion to the lovely shade of blue."

And so begins Lafayette, LA natives, Oh Juliet!'s, debut EP, A Southern Boy's Guide to Raising the Dead. Not exactly poetry, right? No, but that is part of what is so enjoyable about this EP; it's not poetry, it's good music. If you're into the post-hardcore genre in the vein of The Used, this stuff is like chocolate cake: Just because it's everywhere doesn't mean it stops being good.

The EP kicks off with "Breathe Dammit Breath," a good first song that does the job of pulling the listener in. A highlight of the EP comes in the next track, "All The Churches in New Orleans," a high-energy song that showcases influences from both Gatsbys American Dream and The Used. The true gem comes with the closing track, and last hurrah, "Hunting the Canyon Below Our House," a fantastic finale, complete with gang vocals that will have you chanting along, "We are, we are / we are lonely."

As a band, they are solid - the guitar work is clever, and well thought-out, while the bass and drums more than hold down the fort. The vocals, however, could use improvement; Cullen Bernard's voice, while not bad, is simply boring, almost sounding like a less charismatic Bert McCracken (The Used) or Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance).

A Southern Boy's Guide to Raising the Dead is a good EP; while it is nothing to rock the music world, or even the scene, it is a nice listen that will leave you satisfied. This is definitely worth a listen, as I, for one, cannot wait for a full-length to see what these southern boys can really do.

Recommended if You LikeThe Used, Gatsbys American Dream (occasionally), Jonezetta, My Chemical Romance

myspace.com/ohjuliet

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
07:43 AM on 07/08/08
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
Awesome band, I have been listening to them for a while now. They know my friend Nick's band Radiation Year, I'm pretty sure.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests