Password

Album Review

36 Crazyfists - The Tide and Its Takers Album Cover

36 Crazyfists - The Tide and Its Takers

Reviewed by
36 Crazyfists - The Tide and Its Takers
Record Label: Ferret Records
Release Date: May 27, 2008
If you know one thing about 36 Crazyfists, it should be that they're from Alaska. Being the only metal group (or well, any genre actually) that I know of hailing from Alaska, it already gives me the urge to respect them. However, I'm getting in on this a tad late, since The Tide and Its Takers is their fourth full-length release.

The album itself is hit or miss, to say the least. There are some quality songs, but at the same time, there are songs that just leave you with a bad impression. For example, the first song, "The All Night Lights," is an amazing track; they perfectly balance their powerful screams with astounding vocals and clean shouts. "We Gave It Hell" features yelled/shouted (along with a few powerfully-placed screams) and impressive instrumentation. "Clear the Coast" is some tough-guy metal at it's best, and "Waiting On a War" is an impressive display of their clean vocals. "Absent Are the Saints" is a fairly hard track, and easily the heaviest on the album, while it also contains some of the best musicianship from the album. "Vast and Vague" changes styles up a few times, but comes out as one of the strongest tracks from the album.

Unfortunately, for what there is good, there's also bad. While some of the songs pull off the alternative "tough guy" vocals, (akin to Metallica and Seether), some of the songs fail at it, with the title track and "Northern November" being prime examples. Mostly clean vocals, "Northern November" is just, for lack of a better word, bad. The title track, however, does so in epic proportions. A soft and melodic track, it attempts to end the album in the same way as so many other metal albums do nowadays.

Overall, this is a good release, and there are some especially strong tracks here. However, the few songs on this album that are bad bring the whole album down. If this record was more consistent, it would have been a completely amazing release. Hopefully, for their next album, 36 Crazyfists can bring themselves together and release something that will blow me away. Until then though, I'll just have to use the skip button in a few places.

Recommended if You LikeAtreyu's Lead Sails Paper Anchors, He is Legend's Suck Out the Poison

myspace.com/36crazyfists
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
11:38 AM on 07/08/08
thegreatchin
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hm, i actually like the back harlow road quite a bit but i do agree there are songs that i skip (i actually find vast and vague by far the toughest to get through) but well in on giving 36 crazyfists a review cos i really like the band
03:45 PM on 07/08/08
Billy Da Mute
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
User Info.
nice review, i think ill pick this one up haha

and portugal the man (used to be anatomoy of a ghost) are also from alaska. just thought id throw that out there haha
12:01 PM on 07/09/08
TooLateF0rRoses
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
lol what a band...
12:12 PM on 07/09/08
mewithoutyou37
User Info.
I don't find Back Harlow Road a bad song at all....
01:57 PM on 07/09/08
sonicfury
User Info.
Not as strong as rest inside the flames but hey, that album was pretty special so didn't expect this to beat it.
02:07 PM on 07/09/08
thedondeluge
We are Beggars all.
User Info.

and portugal the man (used to be anatomoy of a ghost) are also from alaska. just thought id throw that out there haha

I love Portugal. The Man
02:10 PM on 07/09/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.

Lol i've heard of them, but i wasn't aware.

and to those that like Back Harlow Road.. I'm pretty sure i got the names mixed up.. I think that was supposed to be about Northern November..

EDIT: Just changed it to reflect that. I must have read something wrong.
02:46 PM on 07/09/08
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
I actually love this record as is. As a fan of the band since their first release, it's great to see how they keep upping the ante musically on each record, even if Brock's vocal approach is what strikes me as a bit uneven. That's especially the case on Rest Inside the Flames which I have listened to the least of all their albums (except the song "Elysium", that shit rips walls down).

To keep my rant short though, I think this is their best work since A Snow Capped Romance, only that album had the best melodies of all. Whatever, I loooove this band, and their drummer Thomas puts kids to work with this newest release.
06:16 PM on 07/09/08
ship of fools
hello
User Info.
i got their first album a long time ago, and really liked it, but me and 36 have drifted apart since then. does anyone have suggestions on how we should become reacquainted?
06:40 PM on 07/09/08
theallmighty1
slave to the system
User Info.
I've liked this band for a long time. If you're a beginner to the band, I'd start with A Snow Capped Romance. Incredible CD! This release is ok, I agree there is some bad and some good. Also I couldn't agree more with this
Quote:
"Elysium", that shit rips walls down
09:14 PM on 07/09/08
Troggy
Basking in Wrongness
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not as strong as rest inside the flames but hey, that album was pretty special so didn't expect this to beat it.

I'm thinking that was definitely their peak after hearing some of this one. Oh well, having one really good record is more than a lot of bands from their old genre can say.
03:18 PM on 07/10/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Thanks for reviewing a Crazyfists album. I actually still haven't picked this one up, but I have all of their other stuff and love it.

As a side note, all of the guys are from Alaska but I'm pretty sure they relocated to Portland so they'd have a sporting chance in the industry.
08:16 PM on 07/10/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Thanks for reviewing a Crazyfists album. I actually still haven't picked this one up, but I have all of their other stuff and love it.

As a side note, all of the guys are from Alaska but I'm pretty sure they relocated to Portland so they'd have a sporting chance in the industry.
Yeah, i read that. but i still think it's pretty sweet.
02:32 AM on 06/03/10
rikkiwood
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i disagree with this review. This album is consistently awesome. if the reviewer is admitting to getting into the game late, their opinion is somewhat invalid. every track on this album is so powerful in it's own way. i can't believe their opinion of the last track. if they'd listened to any other 36 albums, they'd know that's how they always end them; with a soft acoustic style song. this album rocks my socks and i won't hear a bad word said against it. 36 are the best band recording right now and i hope their new album ""Collisions and Castaways" follows the trend of their previous albums (that is, the fact that they just get better and better). also looking forward to what new bassist Brett Makowski contributes to their already outstanding and unique sound. 36 forever. peace

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos