AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Risk Relay - Curses Sing Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Risk Relay - Curses Sing

Reviewed by: hockeyguitar99 (07/02/08)
Risk Relay - Curses Sing
Record Label: Ernest Jennings Recordings
Release Date: April 15, 2008

The music industry is not in the best shape right now. Most of the bands that end up making it to popularity and fame sound the same as five to ten other bands that are right there with them. The reason for this is that bands try to mimic the ways of successful ones. A lot of bands do it, especially younger ones. I'm not saying that all of the new bands sound the same, I'm just saying that you have to look a lot harder for originality. Risk Relay are one of the bands that I've been looking for: memorable and creative, these New Jersey natives are breaking the music industry's normal standards.

For those who would like classification, Risk Relay describe themselves as indie or post-punk. Personally, I could care less; at this point in my life, if I have trouble finding a genre to put a band in, they are likely to be more creative than 95% of the other acts out there.

A big problem that I have with a lot of the music today is that many bands are musically simplistic and basically boring. Risk Relay stray away from generic formulas and chord progressions. Their guitarists' are quite obviously talented, as they play through decently complicated riffs without it feeling out of place or awkward. The only thing that throws off the way the guitars sound is their pitch; it sounds a little bit too high throughout the entire album. This is probably a production issue, but if it were corrected, the record would sound much better.

Vocalist Ed Dailey reminds me a lot of Keith Buckley of Every Time I Die if he were to tone down his screaming to more of a yelled vocal. He doesn't seem to be very talented vocally, but the band's musicianship takes the spotlight away from Dailey's voice which helps them greatly.

Curses Sing is an album that isn't tailor-made for the mainstream. Risk Relay aren't a band looking to compromise their talents and inspiration just to become succsessful. They are one of those bands that goes into the studio looking to make something that they think is an improvement on what they did before, not what will sell better. That's what remains so special about bands similar to Risk Relay: they don't seem to care about sales - they make music because they love it, and that's what everyone should do.

Recommended if You Likea more ticked-off Tokyo Police Club, indie noise rock, post-punk

myspace.com/riskrelay

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
11:01 PM on 07/07/08
liar23
Yo
User Info.
man you write a lot of reviews.
04:42 PM on 07/09/08
highasakyt
< -- asshole
User Info.
hey thanks for the review, i checked this band out after reading it.

not bad at all. :)
11:13 PM on 07/22/08
Genuma
User Info.
You did not just say New Jersey natives in a review.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests