Password

Album Review

The Submarines - Honeysuckle Weeks Album Cover

The Submarines - Honeysuckle Weeks

Reviewed by
The Submarines - Honeysuckle Weeks
Record Label: Nettwerk Records
Release Date: May 13, 2008
Los Angeles duo The Submarines consists of John Dragonetti and Blake Hazard. These two indie-pop aficionados know how to make an album, and their latest effort, Honeysuckle Weeks is a mellow yet exciting tour of what indie-pop should be. It's delightfully cheery and oddly captivating; they utilize all of their resources in effortless fashion and their music still doesn't feel awkward while I'm listening.

Duos are something that I tend to stay away from. I'm not quite sure why, but I've never really found them enjoyable. The only ones that I've enjoyed before hearing this record were The White Stripes. The ironic thing is that I like them for the exact opposite reasons: The White Stripes' music is cluttered and sloppy, which adds a certain personable feel, as it doesn't seem like they try too hard. The Submarines take an opposite approach, stripping down their music to a very minimal amount of outside effects or instrumentation that could be deemed unnecessary.

One of things that really adds to the record is the way the two vocalists add a two-sided perspective to the music, making it easier for everyone to relate to. Aside from that, their voices sound fantastic together. The both have very calm and quiet voices and combined, the pitch feels just right, and it still doesn't feel abrasive in any way, shape, or form.

Musically, the album is elegant in a remarkably simple way. Dragonetti and Hazard don't try to over-do it with loads of strings or electronic beats, but they somehow make it enchanting and memorable. The drums stay mostly to simple beats, but it's done in a way that doesn't sound like they didn't put much time into it.

Overall, The Submarines have created an indie-pop masterpiece, and Honeysuckle Weeks is fun, uplifting, and catchy. In my opinion, those are some of the most important things when it comes to this particular genre, as it makes for an extremely enjoyable and very easy listen. The Submarines make accessible music that no fan of indie-pop should go without getting.

Recommended if You LikeMates of State, Death Cab for Cutie, Tegan and Sara, She & Him

myspace.com/thesubmarinesmusic
This review is a user submitted review from hockeyguitar99. You can see all of hockeyguitar99's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version