AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sigur Rs - Me su  eyrum vi spilum endalaust Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics N/A
Production 9
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.58
Musicianship 9.83
Production 9.67
Creativity 9.67
Lasting Value 9.67
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 97%
Inside AP.net

Sigur Rs - Me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust

Reviewed by: Praetor (07/04/08)
Sigur Rs - Me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust
Record Label: XL Records
Release Date: June 23, 2008

Ever since 1999's ethereal masterpiece Agaetis Byrjun put Iceland's Sigur Rs on the map, they have received worldwide recognition for crafting heartbreakingly beautiful melodies, often characterized by reverb-drenched guitars and vocalist Jonsi Birgisson's crooning falsetto. One thing was clear to me the first time I heard them, however - through all the effects and the longish song structures, Sigur Rs was a pop band at heart. Even though through their music they vigorously denied it and tried to avoid it, on their fifth album, Me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust, they finally seem to be embracing it.

Sure, 2005's Takk... had flashes of pop brilliance, like "Glosoli," "Hoppipolla," and "Saeglopur." And as a whole it seemed to have a warmer, more upbeat feel to it then previous releases but it was time for a change. As great of an album as it was, the formula was starting to get a little stale. Sigur Rs could have easily kept following their own rules and continue with the sound that Agaetis Byrjun, ( ), and Takk... had made them famous for, and they probably would have delivered a great album too, but instead chose to reinvent themselves and deliver a superb one.

From opener "Gobbledigook," you'll be checking just to make sure the CD really says "Sigur Rs." The tribal drumming and the acoustic guitars devoid of the distinct coating of reverb channels bands like Animal Collective and Anathallo far more than Sigur Ros' older material. "Inn Mr Syngur Vitleysingur" has a distinct summery feel to it, and finds Birgisson feeling out his natural range instead of delivering the song in his trademark falsetto. "Gan Daginn" and "Illgresi" are straight up acoustic ballads, while songs like "Ara Batur" (which was recorded live in one take) are filled to the brim with a grand, almost over-indulgent amount of horns and thundering percussion. "Vi Spilum Endalaust" also comes complete with horns, but is applied in a far more tactful way.

"Festival" is the exception that proves the rule. The first four minutes or so of the nine-minute track, as beautiful as it is, could have just as easily been an outtake from 2002's ( ). It seems completely out of place on a record that, so far, has been all about change, until in the middle of the track, where a buildup begins, and the band makes it clear that their ( ) days are behind them. The most shocking change comes not in individual nuances, but how much catchier and more accessible the album is as a whole. Hook-laden "Inn Mr Syngur Vitleysingur" and "Vi Spilum Endalaust" seem to scream "SINGLE!"

Undeniably though, the best part of the record, though, is that through all of these changes, Sigur Rs has not lost the ability to make you feel their music. To make you understand it without having to know what the words mean. To wrap you up in the music to the point where your surroundings are dissolved. To make you cry like a child. Yes folks, Sigur Rs has changed quite a bit, but in that respect, they're still the same ol' Sigur Rs.

Recommended if You Likeold Sigur Rs, Anathallo, Animal Collective

myspace.com/sigurros

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
04:48 PM on 07/10/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
This is the only album that I've heard by this band. It's good stuff, although I wouldn't recommend driving with it on. You might find yourself wanting to take a nice nap.
12:49 AM on 07/11/08
bethebean66
Just go with it...
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
All in all, I'm going to say great review. I absolutely love this album. While it's not quite my favorite of theirs, it did score pretty high up in my books. The only big thing I saw with the review, is that you didn't even mention the fact that they, for the first time, recorded an entire track in English for the album. While, it is the classic vocal styling of Birgisson, and you are hardly able to understand any of the words, it was a huge move for the band. But, like I said, aside from that detail, I love the review, and I love the album..
08:40 AM on 07/11/08
FireInTheSky
User Info.
Great review, although I'm not sure I entirely agree "Festival" feels at all out of place. "Ara Batur" follows a very similar formula, and "Fljotavik", "Straumnes", and "All Alright" all have that same meandering musical style. I think that these songs balance out the pop-sensibility of much of the rest of the album, rather than becoming out of place as a result of it.
02:47 PM on 07/11/08
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
This is the only album that I've heard by this band. It's good stuff, although I wouldn't recommend driving with it on. You might find yourself wanting to take a nice nap.
I would definitely recommend working through their back catalog. First Takk, then Agaetis Byrjun, then ().
04:00 PM on 07/11/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
I would definitely recommend working through their back catalog. First Takk, then Agaetis Byrjun, then ().

My dad might have some of those albums, thanks for the rec.
04:03 PM on 07/11/08
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
My dad might have some of those albums, thanks for the rec.
No problem. If you need a hookup let me know.
03:31 AM on 07/15/08
thesaddestfilm
wtf
User Info.
A few songs in the middle began to bore me, but it's still a great album. It has a lot of good "moments" and definitely some aspects they hadn't included before.

hopefully I got my ticket to see them in berkeley on time
10:34 AM on 02/08/09
youngmountain
http://littlewaves.bandcamp.com/
User Info.
This is definetaly their weakest album.
09:31 AM on 06/12/09
hochtk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
^definitely. Agaetis Byrjun and () rule though.
02:00 PM on 02/24/10
syntax omitted
User Info.
definitely on par with Takk for me. its just very different.

Agaetis Byrjun > Takk... = Med sud i eyrum vio spilum endalaust > ()

i hated () minus Tracks 1, 3, and 8. the repeating vocals pushed false English lyrics into my head. also, it just sorta sounds like post-rock i've heard before. i cant put my finger on what or who, but it was very predictable.

love this album though!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News