AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lush, The - Lost in Between Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Lush, The - Lost in Between

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (07/07/08)
The Lush - Lost in Between
Record Label: None
Release Date: December 2007

The Lush might not be played on your local rock radio station, but they definitely should be. The quartet from St. Louis, Missouri demonstrate a tight bond sonically with the familiar whiff of emo-rock on their debut EP Lost In Between. No matter how hard and aggressive The Lush play, they make every song sound like it was meant to be a heartfelt rock ballad. The guitar hooks of Alex Wilkinson are romantically bowed making brilliant archways over the melodic bedrock as lead singer Jeremy Tripp displays a voicing reflective of The Maine’s John O’Callaghan. Bassist Andrew Dunn and drummer Gabriel Wilkinson vary their throngs of rhythmic strokes from cindering massively to glistening gently. There is so much in The Lush’s content that it is nearly impossible to turn away from these tracks. The band make everything sound so good.

The Lush congeal their melodic lines beautifully through the rock ballad “Circles,” with lyrics that make crisp judgments about human nature, “We find ourselves contented / We simply breathe until we stop / Not noticing our lives are lost / It's easy to see what hope can do / But only if you want it to / Me, I'm just a little short of what makes your perfect heart burn/ We'll break this chain if we carry on and on and on.” They never cease being a cohesive team as their song “The Good Die Alone” is saddled with nu-metal wares, emo-rock provisions and power punk fringes that light up the track with revved up rhythms and buckets of power chords. The pristine hue of the chord flints in “Fake It Till You Make It” and “Taken With Empathy” are electrifying and erupt into volcanic slides as the rhythmic bolts fork into the running phrases with a concrete fist. The Lush vary their tempos from strolling softly to rushing furiously as the guitar patterns produce ringlets of flames that filter around Tripp’s vocals. Their song “The Dissonance Between Us” tubes both tempo styles, starting off with a gentle opus that segues into raging floods and vocals that ride the torrential waves as skillfully as pro-boogie boarders on the ocean surf. Tripp fetches the swells and isobars like surfers and rides through the undulating lows and highs with fearless surges of energy.

The Lush may only have an EP out now, but it is enough to incite interest in their music. The band’s handling of power chords is done with pro maneuvers and a concrete footing. Their playing is tight and laudable, even to pros in the industry. You definitely get your money’s worth purchasing Lost In Between. Hopefully The Lush will not stop here.

Recommended if you like: The Maine, A Dream Too Late, Daphne Loves Derby

http://www.myspace.com/thelushrock

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
11:59 PM on 07/07/08
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
User Info.
Well-written, but I didn't get much out of it...It felt so cold and impersonal, like you were using those big words just for the sake of using them. What is a "nu metal ware?" A "power punk fringe?"

I'm sorry, but it just...was lost on me. I read it, I know what the big words mean, and I just don't see how it helps convey a sense of how you liked the album. Nice vocabulary, though.

I also take issuance with your formatting every review you write similarly. Vary it up a bit, and it would be a more enjoyable read. Big words alone do not a good review make.
05:16 AM on 07/08/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Well-written, but I didn't get much out of it...It felt so cold and impersonal, like you were using those big words just for the sake of using them. What is a "nu metal ware?" A "power punk fringe?"

I'm sorry, but it just...was lost on me. I read it, I know what the big words mean, and I just don't see how it helps convey a sense of how you liked the album. Nice vocabulary, though.

I also take issuance with your formatting every review you write similarly. Vary it up a bit, and it would be a more enjoyable read. Big words alone do not a good review make.

You just reviewed a review. Do you need someone to talk to?
08:21 AM on 07/08/08
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
User Info.
You just reviewed a review. Do you need someone to talk to?

I was attempting to provide constructive criticism so as to help enhance the quality of future reviews.

It's like everyone who says "good review" or "this review sucksssssss" only I explained why. I have no qualms.
10:20 AM on 07/08/08
YouthMovement
...wishes his username didn't suck.
User Info.
for some reason the cover art intrigues me. something about barren streets gets me going i guess =P

teh RIYL is getting me to check this out.
12:49 PM on 07/08/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
I was attempting to provide constructive criticism so as to help enhance the quality of future reviews.

It's like everyone who says "good review" or "this review sucksssssss" only I explained why. I have no qualms.

Good point. Extra points for saying 'qualms.'
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News