AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Carpenter - Law of the Land Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Carpenter - Law of the Land

Reviewed by: Deborah Remus (07/09/08)
Carpenter - Law of the Land
Record Label: Smallman Records
Release Date: June 3, 2008

Who?

Ex-members of various bands like Daggermouth, By a Thread, Speaking of Heroes and All-State Champion coming together to craft songs reminiscent of the rootsy rock n' roll of John Mellencamp and 90's emo greats like Texas is the Reason.

How is it?

Quite good. Law of the Land doesn't stray far from its punk roots but still gives listeners a refreshing change. One way Carpenter achieves this is through the lyrics. While many bands seem to prefer singing about girls and relationships, this band brings to light the struggles of independent farmers, a topic very few bands speak out for.

"Off the Road" showcases their Mellencamp influences with acoustic guitars, harmonicas and an infectious chorus. On the other hand, "Until the Sun's Up" proves the band's love of 90's emo, which is especially evident with the opening guitar riff.

Ultimately, Carpenter's debut full-length is diverse and promising. If you love poppy hooks that aren't overproduced then look no further. As singer/guitarist Dan Sioui states, "I just try to write hooks so if I catch someone singing a lyric or singing a chorus or something, to me that's like mission accomplished." Luckily for him, Law of the Land accomplishes just that.

Recommended if You LikeHot Water Music, Texas is the Reason, The Promise Ring

myspace.com/johncougarisgod

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
01:14 PM on 07/14/08
commandolando
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i LOVE LOVE LOVE this album!
04:53 PM on 07/16/08
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
Wow, you are dropping some classic emo band names. And what's up with their myspace page name?
10:43 PM on 07/17/08
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Wow, you are dropping some classic emo band names. And what's up with their myspace page name?

Yeah, these guys are huge fans of those types of bands and it certainly comes through on a few of their songs, which is awesome. As for the MySpace name, the other big influence of the band is John Cougar Mellencamp, he's the main reason Dan started the band in the first place from what I understand.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums