AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Veara - The Walls Have Ears Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 9.75
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 99%
Inside AP.net

Veara - The Walls Have Ears

Reviewed by: Merkin (07/10/08)
Veara - The Walls Have Ears
Record Label: Wisteria Records
Release Date: August 7, 2007

There are some bands on this website in which you wonder why they are newsworthy, and on the other hand there are bands that do not get enough mention for what they do. Veara is a band that has not gotten any publicity, yet seems to keep plugging along silently since the winter of 2003. A year ago they came out with their first full-length LP produced by Rob Freeman (The Pilot, ex-Hidden In Plain View).

The Walls Have Ears starts perfectly on the first track, “Fear of Jumping Ship.” Right away, their sound becomes distinct with an opening guitar pulling you into the song and strong vocals at showing range. The lyrics revolve around a car crash with lines like, “His face against the median / Her scarf around the wheel well / Well he finally choked like a stick in the spokes.” The bass may be toned a little too high in this song and in others, but the lines are played well.

The next two songs fail to catch attention, keeping hold of a steady tempo and an overzealous keyboard in the third track. “Getting Kicked in the Face Has Never Been So Much Fun” may be a long title, but the song comes off as one of the better ones on the album. The easily catchy chorus will have you singing, “Read my lips we’re over and done / And best regards to everyone.”

However, the rest of the songs can be gathered into one. They keep the same basic rhythm throughout and the songs fall flat while reaching no new territories from the first songs.

Another thing that bugged me is the length of the songs. Six of the songs are over four minutes, while none of them are shorter than three minutes. It sounds okay in some situations, but they just extend the songs with the same beat over and over. The music is good, but does not have the ability to hold the listener’s attention for entire songs. Disregarding that however, I do like their sound.

This is a band you need to give some time and plenty of listens, and with a few touch-ups, their next album may just hit the spot.

Recommended if You LikeHidden in Plain View, Day at the Fair, Sloppy Meateaters, All Your Friends are Dead

myspace.com/veara

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
01:23 PM on 07/11/08
ctigers92
I always could count on futures
User Info.
This band puts on one of the best live shows ever. They have some solid stuff on that album, but I agree most of it is too long and tends to bore you sometimes. I have high expectations for the next album though. They have a lot of potential.
08:09 AM on 07/12/08
isae
User Info.
i love this album. it's really good.
05:18 PM on 07/16/08
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Whoa, namedropping Sloppy Meateaters? Never thought I'd see the day.
12:33 PM on 07/17/08
tplmarc
User Info.
This band puts on one of the best live shows ever. They have some solid stuff on that album, but I agree most of it is too long and tends to bore you sometimes. I have high expectations for the next album though. They have a lot of potential.

This band is highly overrated imo. I haven't heard much with their new singer but the times I've seen them with the other guy was not very good at all.
01:16 PM on 07/17/08
dmanrocker
User Info.
This band is highly overrated imo. I haven't heard much with their new singer but the times I've seen them with the other guy was not very good at all.

I concur! Ha There is a not so fine line between a singer that can barely carry a tune and singer that can sing good.... Unfortunately... This band doesn't cross that line.
03:27 PM on 07/17/08
Merkin
A Fine Evening For a Rogue
User Info.

haha me either, but vocals sound exactly like sloppy meateaters in one of the tracks, so i had to put it in there.
05:15 PM on 07/17/08
mylastnerv
Bookie/Promoter
User Info.

I'm not sure which vocalist you might of seen, but their current one is solid. I think after Ian left, they got a replacement that wasn't very consistent. He left before Veara went out on tour to Cornerstone, and the person they have now does a lot better.

Give them another shot. It's tough recovering from losing your vocalist.
05:16 PM on 07/17/08
mylastnerv
Bookie/Promoter
User Info.

Haha, that's funny. Those guys stayed with me after a show one night, when the "now current" drummer from Cobra Starship used to be in their band.
05:19 PM on 07/17/08
mylastnerv
Bookie/Promoter
User Info.
Now, to actually comment the review.

Well done. I agree with most of what you had to say. This a great album, and this band has a ton of potential. They are out on the road constantly busting ass tour after tour.

They also no longer have the "overzealous keyboard" player in their band.

I like the direction the new demo is heading, so I'm very pumped on new material.
11:04 PM on 10/07/08
tiffanyohhhh
Say Yes, Say Yes
User Info.
good cd
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives