Password

Album Review

Danger Radio - Used and Abused Album Cover

Danger Radio - Used and Abused

Reviewed by
Danger Radio - Used and Abused
Record Label: Photo Finish Records
Release Date: July 8, 2008
It really is too bad that major labels exercise so much control over the music business. Otherwise, Danger Radio might become huge very quickly. On Used and Abused, they take the formula for making amazing pop music, stretch it, break the limits, and put their own twist on it. And yet, what may be one of the best pop/rock albums of the year will most likely be overlooked completely.

There is no denying the similarities to Maroon 5 on Used and Abused. Mike Elizondo, who has produced Maroon 5 albums (as well as Eminem), shared the recording with Mike Green of Paramore fame. With the slick combination of R&B, boy-bands, and The Cab-style pop/punk, Danger Radio may seem like they're ripping off the band of "This Love" fame. However, their lyrics are less about sex and contain more variety, their sound is less apologetic, and they trade the jazz influence for a Latin influence. "One More Chance," a stand-out track and potential hit single, combines a Marc Anthony flair with chorus falsettos reminiscent of N*Sync. And the surprising part? It works.

Those looking for new, different, unique music may turn away from this album faster than Superman from Kryptonite, but can we really afford not to feed our guilty pleasures sometimes? The bouncy, Ben Folds piano of the title track paired with the blunt lyrics ("use and abuse me, but I won't be comin' back no more") monopolize the ears, while the singalong closing track "Where I Started" sticks in the head and refuses to leave. Even the more melancholy songs like "Another Lesson in Love" and "Kiss 'n Tell" are danceable and catchy without being over-the-top.

Fortunately, Danger Radio stop just short of being too sugar-sweet. Nearly every song could possibly be a radio hit, and not one track is weak. Some sound almost like Rob Thomas doing solo work ("So Far Gone"), and others take on handclaps and synthesizers to put forward an interesting type of desperate love song ("Alive for the First Time").

There is no indie here; there is no Guitar Hero potential; there is no lush concept album. What is on Used and Abused is fun, bouncy, memorable, and one of the only positive results ever to come out of the boy-band phenomenon.

Recommended if You LikeMaroon 5, The Cab, Rob Thomas, No Strings Attached by N*Sync, pop music for working out

myspace.com/dangerradio
This review is a user submitted review from BlackpoolLights. You can see all of BlackpoolLights's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
12:19 PM on 07/17/08
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
Based on your description, this sounds like something Joe would love.
01:09 PM on 07/17/08
foreverSWEET
Have another biscuit, sorry.
User Info.
I like your review, however, I would have liked to have seen in a bit more broken down. I have the album -- one of the only hard copies (out of 3) I have bought all year -- and I can't stop playing it. I checked my playlist on my iPod and Used and Abused has come close to achieving as many plays as Underdog Alma Mater - a feat, because I'm almost always listening to it, even though I have over 1500 other songs on my player!

You are very right, though -- this album will probably be overlooked because it hasn't been pushed, although I'm seeing it booming in the future.
02:05 PM on 07/17/08
sargentlgfuad
Glass boy
User Info.
nicely written review.
but this album has the worst singer i've ever heard, which kills the whole album completely
03:40 PM on 07/17/08
autumnbreathing
... stands corrected.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
nice review, and good call on the workout music RIYL.
04:01 PM on 07/17/08
birtcho
is...
User Info.
good album and good review and ratings
05:54 PM on 07/17/08
BalancingacT
...ladies
User Info.
nicely written review.
but this album has the worst singer i've ever heard, which kills the whole album completely

Thank you. My thoughts exactly. Looove everything....except the vocals.
03:22 AM on 07/18/08
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
Fair review, i may not agree with all the points you make but i can at least see where you're coming from.
I own the album and have only given it a couple of spins but nothing really sticks out as anything truly memorable. Although it strikes me as a grower which would explain why.

Personally, i think the score may be a bit too high, the vocals are nothing special but do the job and to good effect, the album at times sounds like it may have been over overproduced. These are only minor niggles and are just my opinion upon my first listens. Good review.
02:36 PM on 07/19/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I enjoy this record a lot, but a 91 is absurd.
02:45 AM on 07/20/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
91% is a bit much - this deserves a 65 at best. This is far too glossy and sugary-sweet to be anything that will be long-remembered for being a creative achievement.
09:54 AM on 07/22/08
wedancelykthiss
User Info.
your review makes a lot of sense.
I don't know why everyone is hating on Andrew's voice? I enjoy it :)

I listened to the album once and couldn't get it out of my head.
now I'm constantly listening to it.

it definitely deserves a 91.
10:52 AM on 07/24/08
BlackpoolLights
Music Connoisseur
User Info.
I agree - his voice is like Adam Levine's of Maroon 5, but sounds like it actually would be good live. I highly enjoy it.

And Fallon, "65 at best" is ridiculous, IMO. If I were a professor, I would indeed give this an A-, and perhaps it will not be remembered as "a creative achievement", but it will indeed get play from myself and others I've introduced to it, now and in a decade or two. I rarely can say that about any music I help others find. Maybe something in the low-mid 80s would've been a compromise, but I adore this.
10:14 AM on 07/28/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I agree - his voice is like Adam Levine's of Maroon 5, but sounds like it actually would be good live. I highly enjoy it.

And Fallon, "65 at best" is ridiculous, IMO. If I were a professor, I would indeed give this an A-, and perhaps it will not be remembered as "a creative achievement", but it will indeed get play from myself and others I've introduced to it, now and in a decade or two. I rarely can say that about any music I help others find. Maybe something in the low-mid 80s would've been a compromise, but I adore this.

A 65 is low, but it should be no higher than an 80.
12:03 AM on 10/08/08
tiffanyohhhh
Say Yes, Say Yes
User Info.
no higher than a 60
02:49 PM on 04/09/09
dangerofthought
An Uneducated Opinion
User Info.
I like the album a lot, but I really dig the danceable-poppy-singalong music, so I might be a little biased.

I'm used to hearing Andrew's vocals with The Scene Aesthetic, which is completely stripped down acoustic stuff, so I know the guy can sing. I just don't know if his voice words with this Audition/The Cab version of pop rock.

Well written review. I'd give this album around an 85.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos