AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sixpence None the Richer - My Dear Machine Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6.5
Production 8
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 75%

Sixpence None the Richer - My Dear Machine

Reviewed by: Matthew Tsai (07/11/08)
Sixpence None the Richer - My Dear Machine
Record Label: None
Release Date: July 10, 2008

Besides the band's extraordinarily good pop singles, I hardly know Sixpence None the Richer's discography. But from what I've heard and read, the band has always had two sides to it: a radio-friendly pop side and a more original, experimental side. If this record is meant to be a continuation of one of these two egos, the four-track My Dear Machine (which is up for free or whatever you want to pay on noisetrade.com) fits snugly into the bed of the band's experimental side, with mama Eisley tucking it in.

However, the Eisley comparison only really goes as far as the melodic approach (and dark piano and bass lines). Though vocalist Leigh Nash draws inescapable comparisons to the Dupree sisters (but it should actually be the other way around, with Nash being legendary), the EP distinguishes itself from Eisley by bringing in triumphant horns on the jazzy opener "My Dear Machine." "Around," the closer, further separates the album by featuring intricate plucking on an acoustic guitar (creating an effect reminiscent of a harp) and airy xylophone notes, making the track sound like it belongs on an Anathallo record. "Amazing Grace (Give It Back)" and "Sooner Than Later" are the most Eisley-esque numbers and are both wonderfully solid.

What? Only four tracks? Yeah, this is way too short. My Dear Machine succeeds more than anything in leaving listeners wanting more. Unfortunately, the next full-length from this band is a Christmas album. In the meantime, I will be digging up Sixpence None the Richer's older albums and relishing in their beautiful, elegant pop sounds.

Recommended if You LikeEisley, Lydia, indie pop, free music

myspace.com/sixpencethericher

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
01:45 AM on 07/15/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Thanks for the heads up. Somehow i really enjoyed Nash's solo Blue on Blue record as well.
05:25 PM on 07/15/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
yeah that's a pretty good record
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music