AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Thieves and Villains - Movement Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 5.75
Lyrics 6.75
Production 1
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 4.25
Final Verdict: 40%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.25
Musicianship 4.25
Lyrics 4.25
Production 5
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 5
Average: 48%
Inside AP.net

Thieves and Villains - Movement

Reviewed by: hockeyguitar99 (07/13/08)
Thieves and Villains - Movement
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: July 8, 2008

Thieves and Villains, like many other bands, got signed after being featured in Alternative Pressís AP&R section. Signing with Victory Records, they quickly jumped into the studio to start working on a debut full-length. After all of their hard work, they walked out of the studio poised to take over the world. Releasing it on the same day as other pop-influenced albums, they fit with that particular group of release very well. As that day hit, Movement was released to us, an album that in some respects is good, but just doesnít live up to the potential of the aforementioned demos.

The demo versions of the songs had a certain bite to them; it always felt like the lead singer really meant the words that he was pushing out. I feel that this one of things most absent on the record. In an attempt to polish the songs more, they covered up and even took away this aspect. The vocals feel emotionless at times, and that is something that is unforgivable in this genre.

With that said, the album does have parts where it shines. The drums hit harder and the guitars sound crisper; I feel that they add a lot to the songs in places that most bands wouldnít have thought. The guitars on this record arenít much more than the normal pop-punk guitars. They sound good and fit in well with the record but other than that, they donít add much.

Overall, this record isnít what it should have been. The production is a step up from the demos at far as the instrumentation goes. Unfortunately, the vocals sound overproduced and hold the record back from what it could be. The biggest thing that this album proves to me is that this band has potential, they just need to learn how to capture it. Once they do that, I have no doubt in my mind that they will take the pop-punk world by storm.

Recommended if You LikeThe Scenic, indie pop punk

myspace.com/thievesandvillains

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
08:38 AM on 07/16/08
sputniksignals
On the turf since birth
User Info.
Essentially the same review as Tony's just a higher score. Bottom line
10:51 AM on 07/16/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Essentially the same review as Tony's just a higher score. Bottom line

Sorry, I can only say how i feel about the album.
11:03 AM on 07/16/08
sputniksignals
On the turf since birth
User Info.
Sorry, I can only say how i feel about the album.
No I just felt like pointing that out because I guarantee nobody will come in here and be like O U R BIASED and stupid shit like that
11:30 AM on 07/16/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
No I just felt like pointing that out because I guarantee nobody will come in here and be like O U R BIASED and stupid shit like that
Tony's was harsher. Maybe it says basically the same thing in writing but the score better reflects it in this case i think.
11:52 AM on 07/16/08
sputniksignals
On the turf since birth
User Info.
Tony's was harsher. Maybe it says basically the same thing in writing but the score better reflects it in this case i think.
The truth hurts
11:55 AM on 07/16/08
Klatzke
User Info.
Haha, if you don't like it then think that. But i've seen worse albums, and even pointedly worse get better scores than he gave TAV.
12:06 PM on 07/16/08
sputniksignals
On the turf since birth
User Info.
Haha, if you don't like it then think that. But i've seen worse albums, and even pointedly worse get better scores than he gave TAV.
Once again all of this is opinion. Everything involving a review is an opinion
12:08 PM on 07/16/08
Klatzke
User Info.
Once again all of this is opinion. Everything involving a review is an opinion
I know. I mean the reviewer bashed the album the entire time but yet gave it a better score. Some of Tony's scoring, to me, was kinda ridiculous, (lyrics, really).

I know this is all opinion. I was just stating mine. I didn't say that Tony's was wrong or anything, just that i didn't agree with it.
12:15 PM on 07/16/08
sputniksignals
On the turf since birth
User Info.
I know. I mean the reviewer bashed the album the entire time but yet gave it a better score. Some of Tony's scoring, to me, was kinda ridiculous, (lyrics, really).

I know this is all opinion. I was just stating mine. I didn't say that Tony's was wrong or anything, just that i didn't agree with it.
I meant more your comment that you heard bands that were worse than TAV. That is up for discussion. But whatever. I listened to this band the other day and I got bored. Instantly.
12:15 PM on 07/16/08
WFUJerseyJon
Murderer's Row '09
User Info.
Personally I agree with giving a bad album a bad score. If I were to tell you something is 70% good, wouldn't you think it's not that bad? Where as if I said 30% you'd know it was terrible.
12:32 PM on 07/16/08
Klatzke
User Info.
Personally I agree with giving a bad album a bad score. If I were to tell you something is 70% good, wouldn't you think it's not that bad? Where as if I said 30% you'd know it was terrible.

Yeah, i do agree. I just don't find it bad at all.

Quote:
I meant more your comment that you heard bands that were worse than TAV. That is up for discussion. But whatever. I listened to this band the other day and I got bored. Instantly.

I meant in the reviews the reviewer would constantly bash on them and yet give them a better score. I get your point, and im not disagreeing with you.
01:24 PM on 07/16/08
sputniksignals
On the turf since birth
User Info.
I still think we're all in agreement that this album sucks. Correct assumption?
01:29 PM on 07/16/08
Klatzke
User Info.
I still think we're all in agreement that this album sucks. Correct assumption?
I like it, but Im not dissing either reviewer.
01:31 PM on 07/16/08
sputniksignals
On the turf since birth
User Info.
I like it, but Im not dissing either reviewer.
Good because you shouldn't
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News