AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Forget Paris - Spanish Beaches Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 7
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 100%
Inside AP.net

Forget Paris - Spanish Beaches

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (07/14/08)
Forget Paris - Spanish Beaches
Record Label: None
Release Date: January 2, 2007

Forget Paris is an often overlooked and vastly underrated Billy Crystal film. It's also the name of an incredibly average pop-punk band from Connecticut. On their five song EP Spanish Beaches, the boys start things off in fine fashion with the blistering should-be single, "General Arnold, Your Autography Please," in which singer Tyler Coheni projects, "This battlefield feels like home." For every band that tries its hand at pop-punk, it always comes down to one question: How effective is the vocalist? In the case of Forget Paris and the aforementioned song, the answer is that he is in fact highly-effective, and it's the vocals and radio-friendly sound that starts the disc on a most positive note. Unfortunately, it's one of the last positive notes on the disc.

Second song "Starstruck in Jupiter" benefits from good verse structure and a decent melody but isn't nearly as polished as the opener. Listeners want songs that beg them for repeat listens, and "Starstruck in Jupiter" is not one of them. Third song "Tonight's Fight: The Windy City vs. The Constitution State" tries its hand at a dance beat, but then the verses start and the song segues into boring, generic pop-punk. The song is as forgettable as can be, even as Ferrari sings lines like: "From Hartford to Seattle, you were the best I'll ever have / From Hartford to Seattle, I am the best you'll ever have / It's harder in the nighttime / I miss the smell of perfume on my sheets."

The next two songs are acoustic affairs that show the band in its infancy when it was only vocalist Cohen and Adam Ferrari. While the band deserves kudos for trying to change the vibe of the disc and doing something different, only one of the two acoustic song are worth anything. Closing song "Heartaches and Hangovers" is a well-written song about looking back at past love and facing the agony.

The Connecticut quartet certainly deserves a thumbs down for the verbose song titles. Seriously, when is this trend going to end? While it's not fair to point to Forget Paris as the only offender, it isn't exactly an askew point. Bands like Forget Paris are the future of rock radio and one would hope the band would take their music seriously. How can a listener expect to take a band seriously with song titles like, "General Arnold, Your Autograph Please"? The only hope is that the band, most of which are still finishing college, mature a bit, ditch the tasteless tunes with stupid titles and come back to the music with a more serious approach.

Aside from the powder keg single, Forget Paris doesn't do much to differentiate themselves from the masses and are fortunate that the above-average vocals push them slightly ahead of all the other dime-a-dozen youthful pop-punk startups. For all its flaws, there are enough flashes of brilliance and glimmers of promise on Spanish Beaches to vault the band onto opening bills and possibly even a headlining tour (I'd give them a few years before that happens though). While Spanish Beaches has its drawbacks, it's still slightly engaging, decently written and mildly charismatic.

Recommended if You LikeReturn to Arms, Punchline, amateur pop punk

myspace.com/forgetparis

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
07:27 PM on 07/16/08
devinmcgrath
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Tyler does most of the vocals and Adam does background and some verses to some songs if my memory serves me right.
08:23 PM on 07/16/08
iro-BOT2113
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
you are a very intellectually unstable human being..i would just like to add my two cents which would be...if your going to make a review..don't mix up the vocalists and positions in the band, don't make any spelling errors, and please don't criticize saying that "they are just like any other" because you and I both know that they are immensely better than half the bands signed already in that genre. And for your comment on repeat listens, I would like to say that as a fan, I've given the cd to a lot of my friends for a listen and every single one of them are still completely hooked. People that I know that even stress listening to underground music still can't believe that they are an unsigned band. Well with that said, I love you guys no homo. Keep it real. haha

p.s. any fans of Coheed that are musicians ^^^^^^^^ are already guaranteed success.
06:00 AM on 07/17/08
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Tyler does most of the vocals and Adam does background and some verses to some songs if my memory serves me right.

The changes have been made, thanks for the heads-up.
06:02 AM on 07/17/08
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
you are a very intellectually unstable human being..i would just like to add my two cents which would be...if your going to make a review..don't mix up the vocalists and positions in the band, don't make any spelling errors, and please don't criticize saying that "they are just like any other" because you and I both know that they are immensely better than half the bands signed already in that genre. And for your comment on repeat listens, I would like to say that as a fan, I've given the cd to a lot of my friends for a listen and every single one of them are still completely hooked. People that I know that even stress listening to underground music still can't believe that they are an unsigned band. Well with that said, I love you guys no homo. Keep it real. haha

p.s. any fans of Coheed that are musicians ^^^^^^^^ are already guaranteed success.

The error about the vocalist has been fixed. Also, if you read the review, you'll notice towards the end, I said the band would probably land a spot on an opening bill and eventually headline. And please don't tell me not to be critical, it's my job as a reviewer and critic to provide pointed critique. Thanks for reading and for the feedback. I do appreciate it.
12:16 PM on 07/17/08
liar23
All of Time and Space
User Info.
sweet review
02:29 PM on 07/17/08
underthetalking
La Marea Roja
User Info.
Oh jeez.

I'm kind of torn on how to react to this. Though you'll be happy to know that the band's newer material doesn't have the long song titles anymore.
09:12 AM on 07/22/08
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Oh jeez.

I'm kind of torn on how to react to this. Though you'll be happy to know that the band's newer material doesn't have the long song titles anymore.

Hey, thanks for that bit of info re: the song titles. That just made my day! Good to know they are getting serious about this music stuff!
11:41 AM on 09/19/08
champ1323
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Probably the best unsigned band I've ever heard/watched play live.
09:51 AM on 08/13/09
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
PS. This band is SOSOSO much better than Return to Arms.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests