AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Carnifex - The Diseased and the Poisoned Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 5.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5.75
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 67%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Carnifex - The Diseased and the Poisoned

Reviewed by: Alex DiVincenzo (07/14/08)
Carnifex - The Diseased and the Poisoned
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: June 24, 2008

Heavy music has been rising in popularity over the last few years, with each trend getting more radical than the last. For a while, post-hardcore was the hip thing, and when fans grew tired of that they sought out something more extreme but still accessible. This lead to the explosion of metalcore, which has recently created a new cash cow offshoot in the form of deathcore. The subgenre, an amalgam of death metal and metalcore, features the speed and technicality of the former mixed with the heavy breakdowns of the latter. The scene has become ove-saturated with bands following the fad, and labels are quickly noticing how profitable it can be. Victory Records' newest contribution comes in the form of Carnifex.

The Carnifex moniker comes from an Old English word meaning "executioner," and I could say that the name is appropriate given the sheer brutality of their output, but their latest release, The Diseased and the Poisoned, is nothing but a by-the-numbers deathcore release. Frankly, I'm surprised Victory signed them, given how similar they sound to labelmates With Blood Comes Cleansing. Don't get me wrong - they deserve to be signed, I'm just surprised they were picked up by such a high-profile indie label that already has a similar act. Others do it better, but there's also hundreds that are much worse. If you're a fan of the subgenre, you will surely enjoy this release. If not, don't bother.

The music may be predictable and formulaic, but the San Diego-based quintet is fine at what they do. Noteworthy are the constantly pummeling blast beats from drummer Shawn Cameron and mosh-worthy breakdowns from guitarists Cory Arford and Ryan Gudmunds. Scott Lewis' vocals range from deep growls to higher pitched shrieks, which he frequently switches between; he can be heard screaming about unrequited love and the accompanying despair and hatred. The first words on the album, after all, are "This is hate and all the passion that goes with it / This is love and all the sickness I feel because of it / Because of you" in "In Coalesce with Filth and Faith." There are some embarrassing moments lyrically, such as the Senses Fail-esque line "Death's romance wanders like lost love upon this blackened dreamscape" in "To My Dead and Dark Dreams."

The disc sounds precise and polished thanks to the top-notch production job from Zeuss (Hatebreed, Shadows Fall, Unearth). The Diseased and the Poisoned is a tad more aggressive than the band's full-length debut, 2007's Dead in My Arms, but overall it's just more of the same. It's certainly nothing special, but if you're looking for a new deathcore band for your top 8, Carnifex could certainly fill the void.

Recommended if You LikeSuicide Silence, Elysia, With Blood Comes Cleansing, Knights of the Abyss, Despised Icon

myspace.com/carnifexmetal

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15.
10:18 PM on 07/15/08
Daniel Thompson
Act 1, Scene 3
User Info.
never heard of these guys until I played a show with them last month. they were really crazy.
01:31 PM on 07/16/08
Casanova, Baby!
New Boot Goofin'
User Info.
The last album was a lot more fun than this one.
09:13 PM on 07/16/08
knowthisx
brujah brujah!
User Info.
Another shitty deathcore band. I can't wait for this fad to end.
09:40 AM on 07/17/08
Casanova, Baby!
New Boot Goofin'
User Info.

It has GOTTA be on its way out by now. It has been around for a couple years now and every band already sounds EXACTLY the same.
12:15 PM on 07/17/08
liar23
All of Time and Space
User Info.
sweet review
04:12 PM on 07/17/08
Baines on Toast
So where's my Lois Lane?
User Info.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

I like the review man but seeing this god awful victory records wannabe deathcore band on this site just made my night.
08:04 PM on 07/17/08
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
The last album was a lot more fun than this one.

Agreed.

Agreed. Gotta be on its way out by now.

Thanks!

I like the review man but seeing this god awful victory records wannabe deathcore band on this site just made my night.

They submit it and the site needs more coverage of heavy music, so I figured I'd review it.
11:34 PM on 11/15/08
lurker411_k9
jet life jet life
User Info.
Whoa whoa whoa.

How can you compare this generic by-the-numbers deathcore band to Despised Icon, who get more intricate and brutally technical with each release?

They're decent, but no Despised Icon.

Anyways, Victory Records needs to just stop signing artists. A Day To Remember AND Emmure?

Do the world a favor and drop all the shitty bands and sign some talent.
03:09 PM on 11/20/08
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Whoa whoa whoa.

How can you compare this generic by-the-numbers deathcore band to Despised Icon, who get more intricate and brutally technical with each release?

Anyways, Victory Records needs to just stop signing artists. A Day To Remember AND Emmure?

I don't think Carnifex is nearly as good as Despised Icon, but I think it's fair to say that someone who likes Despised Icon may also like Carnifex (or vice versa).

I like ADTR (Emmure not so much), but I agree about Victory.
02:24 PM on 03/13/09
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
This one of the only deathcore bands/albums I like, lol.
11:52 AM on 07/11/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
Whoa whoa whoa.

exactly, d.i. is 2x better. And this album is just barely above average.
10:09 AM on 02/07/10
Bl00dbath18
FUCK HATERS
User Info.
Deathcore is not a fad just to let you know its been around since 2001
and itll never die
best kind of music for sure
not the scene shit like suicice silence though
09:44 AM on 02/17/11
ajoelwhite
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ha. I'm not here to bash anyones music. But neither should you. anyone who said anything bad about deathcore must have a rather low IQ. Its more technical and requires more talent than most other genres out there. Take Veil of Maya for example. Can any of you play Veil of Maya? If you can than you now its not easy, and if you can't I can guess why.
09:28 PM on 04/01/11
Gunmetal Angel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Deathcore is not a fad just to let you know its been around since 2001
and itll never die
best kind of music for sure
not the scene shit like suicice silence though
Okay, I completely agreed with your post until your last line and I just have to say that you're a fucking douchebag. Suicide Silence is NOT scene!

They have toured with death/thrash metal acts that not Whitechapel nor Carnifex have or ever will get to do. Suicide Silence are not only one of the biggest new names in southern California metal but also the leading band in deathcore worldwide, and yet I find it so ironically hillarious how you support the genre, but diss them in your final line like a fucking idiot.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS