AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Never Shout Never - The Yippee EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.17
Musicianship 6.42
Lyrics 5.71
Production 6.54
Creativity 6.83
Lasting Value 7.04
Reviewer Tilt 7.33
Average: 67%

Never Shout Never - The Yippee EP

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (07/15/08)
Never Shout Never - The Yippee EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: July 29, 2008

Never Shout Never may very well be the next Ashley Parker Angel. His name is Christofer Drew (aka Never Shout Never) and his music gives acoustic-pop a blast of emo-punk with his 4-track release The Yippee EP. The catchy rhythmic grooves and melodic hooks in his tunes have the appeal of the gripping emo-stanzas of Bryce Avary (aka The Rocket Summer) and the cheery vocal phrasings of Luis Dubuc (aka The Secret Handshake). The melodies are well-lit and move to the beating metronome of a man driven by feelings of love while letting those emotions take over his control. The album isn’t bubblegum pop but that audience would find Christofer Drew’s melodic esthetics attractive, as well as those embracing the early stages of punk.

The track “Big City Dreams” is steered by positive emo strokes and a catchy groove that drenches audiences in a natural high. The EP should come with a warning label that the music will gobble up audiences in its optimistic synergy. It is like a pure shot of sugar cane running through your veins. The cheery phrasings of “Smelyalata” and “dare4distance” are infectiously bubbly, and the conjunction of acoustic and rock elements along “heregoesnothin” create movements that cast and reel in along the melodic transitions while affixed to a sunny pop vibe. Teardrops are turned into lush flowery clovers that rain down on the melodies like a shower of velvety petals.

I remember my girlfriend telling me how much she enjoyed Ashley Parker Angel performing live with just his acoustic guitar in his lap and singing a set of tuneful melodies. When I heard The Yippee EP for the first time, I could just imagine Christofer Drew doing the same. His music is tuneful with acoustic-pop shimmers and emo-punk throbbing that grazes the melodies with a sunny-pop array of hues. It is music for the emo-punk fan and acoustic-pop enthusiast, or simply for anyone who likes melodic droplets in their music.

Recommended if you like: Ashley Parker Angel, The Secret Handshake, The Rocket Summer

www.myspace.com/nevershoutnever

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
09:18 AM on 07/16/08
Austin Elation
AustinNeely
User Info.
12:47 PM on 07/16/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
01:06 PM on 07/16/08
Casanova, Baby!
New Boot Goofin'
User Info.
Playing with this little guy in Fargo, ND on the 21st of the month. Maybe a LITTLE bit of a Rocket Summer sound, but the other comparisons I am going to have to disagree on. Steel Train + The Format + 16 year old kid = NeverShoutNever.
02:34 PM on 07/16/08
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
User Info.
I might check them out, but your review is formulaic and bland.

Again.

Like all of them.
02:58 PM on 07/16/08
xxno_promisesxx
I read more maps than books
User Info.
Playing with this little guy in Fargo, ND on the 21st of the month. Maybe a LITTLE bit of a Rocket Summer sound, but the other comparisons I am going to have to disagree on. Steel Train + The Format + 16 year old kid = NeverShoutNever.

I agree and I think that the comparisons are a little off. To me NeverShoutNever is a mixture of The Rocket Summer, The Format, Hellogoodbye, A Rocket To The Moon, All American Rejects
03:28 PM on 07/16/08
shannonFTW
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
everyone should check him out, he is incredible for a 17 year old.
and he is even better live, he sure is going to go places
03:39 PM on 07/16/08
adjustmebaby
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
He has a lot of talent, he's incredible live, and not to mention he is a total sweetheart.
Deffinitley check him out :)
03:46 PM on 07/16/08
Casanova, Baby!
New Boot Goofin'
User Info.
I agree and I think that the comparisons are a little off. To me NeverShoutNever is a mixture of The Rocket Summer, The Format, Hellogoodbye, A Rocket To The Moon, All American Rejects

Good call on the A Rocket To The Moon comparison...I think that is probably the best comparison.
11:37 AM on 07/17/08
alltimecam
hi
User Info.
i dont really like any of his first ep but i have preordered this ep
and i dont agree at all with the ashley parker angel comparison
03:18 PM on 07/17/08
Shrillex
is awesome fo sho hoe
User Info.
nevershoutnever! > playradioplay! lol only if same genre but anyways good review
04:09 PM on 07/17/08
markwarren
User Info.
i think hellogoodye and the moldy peaches! awesome!
04:32 PM on 07/17/08
smorgy
There's no shame in crymaxing
User Info.
nevershoutnever! > playradioplay! lol only if same genre but anyways good review

you are sadly mistaken
07:27 PM on 07/17/08
mysensesfailed3
AP.Net's Resident AtoZ Fan
User Info.
you are sadly mistaken
no he is 100% correct. prp tries to hard to do things in a hip kind of way (at least on texas) and fails miserably, but this... this i thuroughly(sp) enjoy
12:54 AM on 07/18/08
my name is bilo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
no, no, no.
its a mixture of sex and pure win
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News