Album Review

Ponytail - Ice Cream Spiritual! Album Cover

Ponytail - Ice Cream Spiritual!

Reviewed by
Ponytail - Ice Cream Spiritual!
Release Date: June 17th, 2008
Record Label: WE ARE FREE

Who?

Psychedelic revivalists that call Baltimore home, now finding themselves with overnight recognition after borrowing one part of the once giddy duo Ecstatic Sunshine and a whole lot of unintelligible yelps and skitters from whoever finds an album's worth of nonsensical reveille a good way to spend a half an hour.

How Is It?

If Ecstatic Sunshine was a full-band, re-recorded Deerhoof b-sides backwards and at a faster tempo, employed a mentally-retarded vocalist they told to sing in to the mic anytime she wanted, and threw a few extra creative-schisms in there for good measure -- you'd have Ponytail. The band finds the best equilibrium when they play it safe, such as in the surfy "Die Allman Bruder" or the very notable seven-minute "Celebrate the Body Electric (It Came From An Angel)". Whether this sounds like an outlet you'd be interested in sticking a fork into or not, or not, is up to you. All signs point to a better live band than a recorded one, though.

Recommended If You Like:Ecstatic Sunshine, Deerhoof, Piglet, Sam Zurick solo stuff

Buy It Here:
This review is a user submitted review from Scott Irvine. You can see all of Scott Irvine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
11:51 AM on 07/17/08
Casanova, Baby!
New Boot Goofin'
User Info.
While I think you gave a good description of this band's music, I wouldn't listen to this for large sums of money. Unless someone want's to offer me some.
01:01 PM on 07/17/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Great review. I lol'd.
03:48 PM on 07/17/08
User Info.
Band is tremendous live. Saw them with Tera Melos and they stole the show (no easy feat).
04:52 AM on 07/18/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
gosh darn I love a Scott Irvine special!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos