AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
My Epic - This is Rescue Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9
Production 8.5
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
Vocals 0.25
Musicianship 0.25
Lyrics 0.25
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Average: 3%
Inside AP.net

My Epic - This is Rescue

Reviewed by: Matthew Tsai (07/17/08)
My Epic - This is Rescue
Record Label: None
Release Date: 2006

Energetic. Beautiful. Melodic. Moody. Dark. Sincere. Mysterious. Majestic. Driving. But alas, generic and unoriginal.

These adjectives give a thorough and sufficient rundown of My Epic's debut, This Is Rescue. Five tracks of wonderfully intense, but unfortunately, post-hardcore Circa Survive rip-offs. The band has talent though, as vocalist and guitarist Travis Brooks demonstrates with his high-pitched voice that - dare I say - does a splendid job of rivaling that of Anthony Green's in both quality and enjoyability. And the drums, bass, synthesizer and piano of the other members of the band must also not go unnoticed for their versatility.

Lyrics run extraordinarily deep and complicated all throughout the record; lines that scream "Inherit, but we as well choose to initiate / And this is the price of our valued volition: enslavement to vices and vexed by the intrinsic / No measure of man with the greatest precision / Is yet to conquer" can hold their own, though I doubt anyone haplessly stripped of a dictionary will understand what it means. Or, take the dim "En Machaerus," which chronicles the last moments of a man (or woman) that is about to be beheaded, in which the character wonders in frustration, "Why am I left in this place? / Of all the miracles known... / When did my diligence fade?" The lyrics go along with the fervent music and if you've never heard Circa Survive before, you're sure to enjoy this record.

But as mentioned before, what kills the fragile beauty of This Is Rescue is a lack of creativity. While every track is very well done, both in production (the record still maintains a raw feel) and songwriting, the Circa Survive comparison is inescapable, in the same way that Secret & Whisper sounds like Saosin or pop-punk bands sound like other pop-punk bands.

One thing's for sure, however: Don't write My Epic off in a hurry. Who knows where this band will go? Since the release of This Is Rescue, they have signed to Dreamt Records (an imprint of Facedown Records), and with their bubbling talent, they have a chance to genuinely break out in the scene. Just one word of advice first: break away from Anthony Green and company.

Recommended if You LikeCirca Survive, Anthony Green, Saosin

myspace.com/myepic

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
09:05 PM on 07/25/08
Tyler Vagyler
Tight Dick Playa
User Info.
They don't sound THAT much like circa survive/anthony green.....
08:04 AM on 11/01/11
cereal4life
User Info.
I think saying these guys are a rip-off of Circa Survive is harsh. Personally, I prefer My Epic. I think in the same way that Secret&Whisper matched and possibly superseded Saosin's formula of post-hardcore with Teenage Fantasy, I'd say that My Epic have taken certain elements that Circa Survive have and done it better. That's my opinion.

For anyone interested, check out their latest release Yet. It's great stuff. Funnily enough, they have evolved and become less like Circa; I'd say they sound more like Come Now Sleep-era As Cities Burn and at times, an atmospheric Thrice.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums