AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Verse - Aggression Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 10
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Verse - Aggression

Reviewed by: Klatzke (07/21/08)
Verse - Aggression
Record Label: Bridge Nine Records
Release Date: June 10, 2008

Aggression is a 29-minute trek through powerful displays of emotion, intelligent songwriting, and well, aggression.

Firing up with "The New Fury," it quickly escalates into emotion laden screams. Delivering politically-minded lines like, "We still struggle with the fact that 1 percent / has 99 on their knees," with powerfully-driven instrumentals and vocals, it sets itself up as the best track from the album. The rest don't fall short though.

"Scream" is the one track that rivals "The New Fury" for the best track of the album. Starting out with almost spoken vocals, it escalates into hostile shouts, with the lead vocalist shouting the emotion filled lines: "As long as my heart keeps beating / I can't stop screaming / silence and violence / I'm bending, I'm breaking / I'm broken." The song then promptly breaks down into softer instrumentation that leads into the three-part track "Story Of A Free Man."

Verse chooses to end this album on the same note it came in on. The last song "Sons and Daughters" is as intense as the other tracks on the album, and ends the album solidly.

While the vocals may not be exquisite, they work well. They stay in the forefront of the composition, as they should, while delivering politically-themed and always intelligent lyrics. The musicianship is driven and leads the tracks along very well. The production on this album is well above par; the sound is still raw, but has enough production that it actually sounds like a good recording. The production also does a great job making the album flow but not run together.

Even though Verse isn't really doing anything particularly creative, I wouldn't hesitate to say they've released one of the best, if not the best, hardcore albums so far in 2008. If you're a hardcore fan, I highly recommend picking this up.

Recommended if You LikeHave Heart, Sinking Ships, Down to Nothing

myspace.com/verse

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
11:50 PM on 07/22/08
llmp
Incorrigality
User Info.
Good stuff. This as well as the new Blacklisted and Have Heart are all really, really good.
01:31 AM on 07/23/08
keeplioving
sell my old clothes
User Info.
this album is damn good.
01:44 AM on 07/23/08
isae
User Info.
i don't listen to hardcore THAT much anymore... but this record ist really great!! love it!
04:26 PM on 07/24/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
For how many people were wanting this review, there sure isnt a lot of feedback. lol
09:01 PM on 07/25/08
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
it seems like some sentences and phrases (i.e. the first paragraph) are awkwardly placed, but good review nonetheless. killer fuckin album
04:48 PM on 07/26/08
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Good album
01:13 PM on 12/19/08
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
i want to get this record kinda badly
06:22 PM on 07/30/09
simplelivin_GCH