AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
An Horse - Not Really Scared Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

An Horse - Not Really Scared

Reviewed by: allhourcymbals (07/21/08)
An Horse - Not Really Scared
Record Label: Valve
Release Date: April 12, 2008

Every now and then, for whatever reason, people seem to form preconceived notions about an album and decidedly dislike it before they even hear it. I have to say, this five-song debut EP was a pleasant surprise. “Dance for me, dance for me,” Kate Cooper confidently sings on the last track of their debut EP, Not Really Scared, and dancing is exactly what you will be doing when you hear these five songs that demonstrate exactly what it is about this band that got Australian record label Valve’s attention in the first place.

“Postcard” starts off the album with a killer beat and enticing, almost angelic vocals from Cooper. Her soft but fierce sound shines through in this EP. While the music has a faint electronic feel to it, the vocals are raw and in the purest form possible. With familiar lyrics and a storyline that is easy to relate to, this is a song you can find solace in.

The middle track on the record is titled “Scared As Fuck,” but features the lyrics “I’m not really scared.” This opposite-title track is a terrifically upbeat number, with a catchy guitar riff, excellent drum line, and haunting vocals from Kate. “Camp Out” is the ideal song choice for a driving mix. It’s sure to keep you wide-awake and singing along.

While there’s not tremendous diversity throughout this EP, it opens the door to a wide array of possibilities for An Horse’s future. Not Really Scared sets the tone as a band to watch out for.

Recommended if You LikeTegan & Sara, Northern State, Heathers

myspace.com/anhorse

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
10:18 PM on 07/22/08
cereal4life
User Info.
An Horse is supporting Death Cab for cutie when they come to Australia. Might have to check out this little number!
07:10 PM on 07/23/08
suicidalchanges
Julii
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well, that is a really well written review, and I agree. I love An Horse and I can't wait to get their entire EP album. I originally heard of them through Tegan and Sara. They're not really similar to Northern State (they are more power pop / rap). <3
07:16 PM on 07/23/08
allhourcymbals
embrace the silence
User Info.
Well, that is a really well written review, and I agree. I love An Horse and I can't wait to get their entire EP album. I originally heard of them through Tegan and Sara. They're not really similar to Northern State (they are more power pop / rap). <3
Thank you Julii
09:39 PM on 07/25/08
liar23
Yo
User Info.
good review Courtney
04:09 AM on 07/26/08
mushroom
I Knew Alfred J Prufrock
User Info.
I love this band
06:28 AM on 07/26/08
Goingdown11
User Info.
Saw An Horse when they were on tour with tegan and sara In the spring amazing band awsome review!
06:20 PM on 07/26/08
MarquisInSpades
User Info.
They are really great. There were just two of them when they opened for Tegan and Sara and they sounded like a full band. Definitely an EP worth picking up.
05:31 AM on 07/27/08
allhourcymbals
embrace the silence
User Info.
They are really great. There were just two of them when they opened for Tegan and Sara and they sounded like a full band. Definitely an EP worth picking up.
This is part of what I've been thinking, but didn't feel like it was worth mentioning. They are really great though, and I've been getting even more into them lately.
10:52 AM on 01/22/09
EllieLanham
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh my gosh, i love these guys, i first heard of them through tegan and sara because they toured together and i seem to love them more each day!
Defo worth getting hold of this EP
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News