AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Myriad, The - With Arrows, With Poise Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.19
Production 9
Creativity 8.69
Lasting Value 8.94
Reviewer Tilt 8.63
Average: 87%

Myriad, The - With Arrows, With Poise

Reviewed by: Steve Henderson (07/30/08)
The MyriadWith Arrows, With Poise
Release Date: May 13, 2008
Record Label: Koch Records

After gaining a fair amount of momentum with their excellent debut LP back in 2005, You Can’t Trust a Ladder, The Myriad seemed poised to strike it rich both within the scene and with the Christian crowd they courted with their semi-religious lyrical stylings. But after almost three years would our ADD-afflicted circle embrace (or even remember) these guys? Well, winning the Dew Breakout Circuit earlier this year certainly can’t help but serve as a refresher. But beyond that? We will have to see.

Attention for With Arrows, With Poise thus far has piggybacked the success of The Myriad’s new single, “A Clean Shot” – and justifiably so. The track is a smash dripping with commercial appeal unlike anything that appeared on You Can’t Trust a Ladder. A sexy, fuzzed out guitar riff and an uncharacteristically strong hook bolster the tune in proper fashion, making it sound like Muse-gone-mainstream. Frontman Jeremy Edwardson certainly does little to deflect comparisons to Matt Bellamy, or even Lovedrug vocalist Michael Shepard, as he is caught imitating both on the single and cuts like “Forget What You Came For.” Beyond the aforementioned, Arrows is a bit of a mixed bag. “You Waste Time Like a Grandfather Clock” is a slick, atmospheric number the crescendos into a massive arena-sized chorus, as does “The Accident” but then songs like “Holiest of Thieves” fall rather flat under the weight of their own ambition, trying to be progressive and moody (but just end up being dull). The band refreshingly steps out of the shadows a bit for the extremely poppy “A Thousand Winters Melting” which is pleasing to the ear, but does indeed sound out of place on the record.

The band tosses out a handful of other play-it-safe pieces that would sound right at home on You Can’t Trust a Ladder but does recover with the hypnotic, ethereal ambience of “Throwing Punches” (Thom Yorke-ish beat and all) and the otherworldly, celestial delicacy of the closer, “Stuck in a Glass Elevator.” Overall, With Arrows, With Poise is far from a total disappointment, but it’s hard to convince yourself that The Myriad couldn’t have done a bit more with this release. There is no doubting the band’s talent, to be sure, but when you stack the entire record here against its finest offerings, it seems a bit inconsistent, if nothing else. Regardless, With Arrows, With Poise is a sonically rewarding and lyrically challenging experience for listeners of all belief structures that is worth spending some time with.

Recommended if you like: Muse, Lovedrug, Mobile, Mute Math, Abandoned Pools

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21.
07:16 AM on 07/30/08
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
User Info.
Good review. The RIYL is making me want to check this out, especially Lovedrug and Muse. Would I be better off starting with this or their first album?
07:22 AM on 07/30/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Good review. The RIYL is making me want to check this out, especially Lovedrug and Muse. Would I be better off starting with this or their first album?
I would start with the first album, personally.
07:25 AM on 07/30/08
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
User Info.
I would start with the first album, personally.

Will do. Thanks.
07:56 AM on 07/30/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
good review steve

I really liked this album and their 1st was good as well.
09:07 AM on 07/30/08
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
The RIYL is tempting me as well. Decent review, not your best. Good introduction to the band though. Haven't seen many reviews from you lately. Where have you been?
09:28 AM on 07/30/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
The RIYL is tempting me as well. Decent review, not your best. Good introduction to the band though. Haven't seen many reviews from you lately. Where have you been?
Worky work, busy bee!
09:48 AM on 07/30/08
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
I've been meaning to listen to The Myriad for such a long time to see if I dig 'em and have just never gotten around to it. With some of these comparisons I just might have to get off my arse.
10:14 AM on 07/30/08
BlackpoolLights
Music Connoisseur
User Info.
Good review, but I didn't particularly enjoy the album.
10:41 AM on 07/30/08
Mochem
User Info.
Abandoned Pools did the theme song for Clone High, right?

I totally forgot about them. I've never heard anything else but that theme song, so I should probably check them out.
11:24 AM on 07/30/08
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
My thoughts on the album were similar. Cool and ethereal - I was also reminded of the more ambient parts of Thrice's Alchemy Index, especially Water - but occasionally dull. Worth checking out, though, and the songs are growing on me.
11:56 AM on 07/30/08
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
haven't heard their first, but this album rules. sadly, i checked this band out due to the artist of the week spots on mtv.

/fail
12:58 PM on 07/30/08
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.
haven't heard their first, but this album rules. i checked this band out due to the artist of the week spots on mtv.

Fixed. It's not a crime to get music from MTV. In fact, one of the first times I heard Something Corporate was the video for "I Woke up in a Car" on some old broadcast of some MTV channel with crappy reception

01:11 PM on 07/30/08
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
User Info.
Love this album and this band. The only thing that erked me about this album compared to their last is the fact that his vocals sound so incredibly similar to Michael Shepard from Lovedrug. The comparison was there for their first release, but it was never this close before.
03:26 PM on 07/30/08
rocktwin22
Hey! That's my line!
User Info.
Great review! The RIYL list is dead on for these guys. I really liked the album, but I haven't heard the first one, so I think I'll give that one a listen.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS