AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Slightly Stoopid - Chronchitis Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.25
Musicianship 6.25
Lyrics 5.75
Production 8
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 2
Reviewer Tilt 5.5
Final Verdict: 56%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 6.75
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Average: 63%
Inside AP.net

Slightly Stoopid - Chronchitis

Reviewed by: CellarGhosts (07/30/08)
Slightly Stoopid - Chronchitis
Record Label: Stoopid Records
Release Date: August 7, 2007

Having only heard this band once before, on a Warped Tour compilation, I was expecting good things as I enjoyed that one song quite a bit. However, "good things" wasn't quite what I got. Chronchitis isn't necessarily horrible, or even objectively bad, it just left little to no impression on me for the duration of it's 17 tracks.

The main problem here is that, as I stated, none of the songs make much of an impression at all; nothing much about this record leaps out at the listener. The relaxed mood fits the ska/reggae aesthetic well, but it's almost too relaxed, too low-key to the point where all the songs begin to run together. The band can play, and each musician is apt at what they do, but they seem to be limiting themselves; putting their abilities to misuse, seeming content to play what is, for the most part, fairly forgettable ska music.

It's not all bad though, as the album does have it's moments. The opening song, "Anywhere I Go," is a well-executed acoustic tune, featuring tight percussion, dashes of keys, and an organ that punctuates the musical passages well. "Round The World" is another fine moment, catchy and certainly enjoyable, but not much else. "Ocean" is a great, chiefly instrumental tune (albeit for some vocals towards the end), rolling along at a steady pace, featuring wonderfully interwoven guitar work, saxophone, and snippets of harmonica, lulling the listener into a sort of trance.

Thankfully the album closes with the best track here, "Reward For Me." A gorgeous acoustic song with relaxing group vocals, and a somber trumpet line, it closes the album on a good note, bringing spirits back up after an overall disappointing listen.

In conclusion, Chronchitis may satisfy fans already familiar with the band, and it may appeal to fans of the ska/reggae genre, but despite it's strong points, it's not an album you should go out of your way to get ahold of. There is promise though, and here's hoping the next Slightly Stoopid effort sees them expanding on the stronger elements and songwriting found here.

Recommended if You LikeSublime, Pepper, Long Beach Dub All Stars

myspace.com/stoopid

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
08:45 AM on 01/23/09
springsoldier
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the first time threw this cd i thought it was awesome, but then i listened to it more and more and realized how much it wasn't awesome lol. i love this band and i know they are capable of so much more. i think closer to the sun is their best cd. i dunno, just listening to the lyrics make me think that maybe they've smoked themselves stoopid lol. great band to see live though with a blunt or 2
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests