Password

Album Review

There for Tomorrow - There for Tomorrow Album Cover

There for Tomorrow - There for Tomorrow

Reviewed by
There for Tomorrow - There for Tomorrow
Record Label: Hopeless Records
Release Date: August 5, 2008
It was about 80 degrees and sunny. So I jumped in my car and went down to the local pool, feeling commissioned by the midday sun. Upon signing in, I exited the pool house to enter the gloriousness that a large pool, glowing a transparent blue with the wave lines rippling on the bottom of the pool, can only offer. Breathing deeply, I looked up and in my direct view walked a girl with a black shirt on it. It read “There for Tomorrow.” My smooth walk hitched. It had begun.

I haven’t been so excited about a new band as much as I am about Florida’s There for Tomorrow in a long time. I remember getting their EP as an unsigned band, being blown away by the band’s talent to mold songs that were so straight forward, yet so... good. Now their newest self-titled EP, released under Hopeless Records, is all that their previous release, Pages, was and more.

The record kicks off with "Deadlines", a song loaded with straight-forward power chords and palm-muting. The slightly delayed guitars and and hints of piano in the background coagulate well with lead vocalist Maika Maile's breathy voice, molding a song with atmosphere and loads of energy. "Pages", one of the songs that got things rolling for the band early one when they released Pages, offers the There for Tomorrow formula of success; pounding drums, atmospheric guitars, and vocals which switch between kindess and assertiveness . As is the case with the other four songs borrowed from this earlier release, none of the recycled songs were rerecorded. But that's okay with me. Producer James Paul Wisner (Underoath, Paramore), of as I like to call him, James Paul Whizzman, did an excellent job with these original tracks, enough so to come back and finish off their Hopeless debut. Although the band shines, Wisner shines just as bright, his hand no doubt playing a large role in the success of the band. With that, "Waiting" offers a piano driven bridge that is just beautiful, but this small bit of snappy pop-influence pales in comparison to "Remember When (Used to Be Used to It)", which slightly cracks the band's mold with their dabbling in ballad writing, an effort I would deem as successful, being that the slow tempo doesn't break the flow of the record.

"No More Room to Breathe," or what I like to call "Pages, 2008" is almost identical in formula to the song that helped them breakout in 2007, except this time is much more refined, and even more catchy. The best song on the record. However, the band offers one large misstep in the form of "Taking Chances," the last song borrowed from the band's aforementioned last release. The song sounds too much like Saosin, and lacks the creamy smoothness of the other six tracks.

Although There for Tomorrow may not have broken any musical barriers with their brand of aggressive emotional rock, I can honestly say that I have never been so excited for a band to break-out as I have been for There for Tomorrow. I remember a few years ago seeing Paramore at a small club with about 200 kids, knowing that this band would be huge. I have the same feeling with There For Tomorrow, except this time, I'm sure of it. Go ahead and bookmark this page. You can label it "I knew about this band before MTV did", because everyone knows how great it feels to be a one of those guys.

Recommended if You LikeAnberlin, Terminal, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

myspace.com/therefortomorrow
This review is a user submitted review from topher465. You can see all of topher465's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
02:46 PM on 08/14/08
rollerman4221
Woof!
User Info.
I knew about this band before the pages e.p. was released. Go me
02:51 PM on 08/14/08
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
I knew about this band before the pages e.p. was released. Go me

Someone give this kid a cookie.
03:06 PM on 08/14/08
myhearturhands
The spaceman that can't get high.
User Info.
^^ haha and lets throw in a few scene points while were at it
06:53 PM on 08/14/08
bloodyr0mance87
User Info.
this was a pretty well-written review. despite the fact that your enthusiasm for the band and album are very apparent, you approached the music from a more biased position than most people would. good work, and i'm liking what i hear on myspace. maybe not enough to buy the album but definitely enough to keep my eye on these dudes.
06:09 PM on 09/03/08
RelientMayday
User Info.
Someone give this kid a cookie.

haha wow. I laughed very hard at this. I definitely want to pic up this album.
Amazing band indeed

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version