AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Walls of Jericho - The American Dream Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Walls of Jericho - The American Dream

Reviewed by: Alex DiVincenzo (08/04/08)
Walls of Jericho - The American Dream
Record Label: Trustkill Records
Release Date: July 29, 2008

A few months ago, Walls of Jericho put out an EP entitled Redemption. As if the fact that it was produced by Slipknot/Stone Sour vocalist Corey Taylor wasn't enough to make fans cry "sell out," its acoustic orientation alienated many supporters. Still, with Taylor's name attached and high profile tours in tow I'm sure they gained more than they lost. The title of Redemption would have been more fitting for their latest full length, The American Dream, which many fans hope redeems the band from the EP.

"Tonight is ours!" The powerful gang vocals of the opening track, "The New Ministry," are a great introduction for an album of this nature. The chugging guitars call to mind the band's early hardcore roots, but once the next track, "II The Prey," hits, the band displays their improved musicianship with a crisp, thrashy sound, thanks to producer Ben Shiegel (Misery Signals, Chimaira). The band's music has become more metal-based with each release, and The American Dream continues the trend as an unabashed metalcore record. The title track in which vocalist Candace Kucsulain professes "Fuck the American dream!," is next. This song is sure to be a fan favorite with an anthemic sound, gang vocals, and a huge breakdown at the end.

Much of the lyrical content is politically charged, but not overtly so; often they speak of war but mask it in metaphors, albeit not too subtly. Kucsulain also gets personal on tracks like "Standing on Paper Stilts." My favorite line comes from "A Long Walk Home:" "I know words can't change the world, but they can have an impact on life / Through some words that someone else wrote I found hope / And hope is all we have." Perhaps not the most poetic line ever written, but it's one that I can really relate to.

There are some unfortunate nu metal moments peppered throughout the album. "Long Walk Home" is particularly embarrassing; if it had a few more drummers and some DJ scratches it could be a Slipknot song, complete with clean singing. Prior to this, I was glad that the band kept their clean vocals separate from their heavier material, but the entire song is bad. The disc comes to a close with "The Slaughter Begins," a track which would have fit right in on Redemption. It begins as a piano ballad before being accompanied by acoustic guitars and percussion. Kucsulain has an adequate voice and fans of Evanescence will enjoy such a track, but those looking for something heavy are sure to turn off the album early.

Although the genre is over saturated, those looking for a sufficient metalcore disc will not be disappointed by The American Dream. With it, Walls of Jericho will have fans piling on, circle pitting, moshing, and banging their heads all in a matter of minutes. Most importantly, it (mostly) takes the bad taste left by the previous EP out of your mouth.

Recommended if You LikeBury Your Dead, It Dies Today, Stick to Your Guns, Diecast, Lamb of God

myspace.com/wallsofjericho

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
07:34 AM on 08/20/08
Post-me
mssx
User Info.
Great review. IMO With devils amongst us all was better but this album has good songs on it. I do prefer their hardcore ones more though.
And is it me or Candace's voice is lower on that cd, sounding much more like a man?
09:48 AM on 08/21/08
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Great review. IMO With devils amongst us all was better but this album has good songs on it. I do prefer their hardcore ones more though.
And is it me or Candace's voice is lower on that cd, sounding much more like a man?

Thanks. My favorite WoJ album is Bound Feed the Gagged, but none of them (except that EP which I pretend doesn't exist) have been bad. Candace has never sounded particularly feminine, but yes, her voice does seem a little lower now that you mention it.
08:07 PM on 10/12/08
Lastsforever
User Info.
Okay, I had to make an account to reply to this.

===
I don't see how you could put down their last EP, "Redemption" because you and anyone else who followed the making of it knew it was going to be something different. Candace has a beautiful voice and I'm glad she did a clean and soft vocal album.

I also don't get what is wrong with working with Corey Taylor? He is a talented artist who has an amazing voice and I'm glad he helped show a side of Walls of Jericho that was not all screaming and hate, it showed sadness and forgiveness.

Just thought you should know that, you can't compare the EP to the "American Dream", different states of mind, different reasons for making the albums.
03:21 PM on 10/14/08
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Okay, I had to make an account to reply to this.

===
I don't see how you could put down their last EP, "Redemption" because you and anyone else who followed the making of it knew it was going to be something different. Candace has a beautiful voice and I'm glad she did a clean and soft vocal album.

I also don't get what is wrong with working with Corey Taylor? He is a talented artist who has an amazing voice and I'm glad he helped show a side of Walls of Jericho that was not all screaming and hate, it showed sadness and forgiveness.

Just thought you should know that, you can't compare the EP to the "American Dream", different states of mind, different reasons for making the albums.

It's obviously different, but it's the same band nonetheless. The EP just wasn't good -- not because it was a departure, but even by acoustic ballad standards it was lame. Just my opinion though. I felt it was necessary to mention because many people feared that the band had "lost it" with the EP. So what did you think of my review of the album itself?
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS