AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Vivacity - The Path Begins Here EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 11.1
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 8.8
Production 11
Creativity 10.8
Lasting Value 10.7
Reviewer Tilt 10.55
Average: 104%
Inside AP.net

Vivacity - The Path Begins Here EP

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (08/04/08)
Vivacity - The Path Begins Here EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: November 2, 2008

There is no getting around that the female fronted rock band of Vivacity have the brazen chops of Damone and the spirited rock of Paramore. Though all three bands are unique in and of themselves, a bill with all three of them on it would keep audiences enthralled from top to bottom. That’s what I discovered when I played Vivacity’s latest 3-track EP, The Path Begins Here following the music of pop punk’s Damone and Paramore. It is a lineup that is comparable to the Yankees, Derek Jeter, Alexander Rodriguez, and Andy Pettitte, each coming up to the plate one after the other to bat. Like these ball players, all three bands are equal in strength and performance and should be on the same team.

Vivacity’s lead singer, Maria Battinelli wraps the melodies around her vocals with proficient ease and lead guitarist/backup vocalist Garrett Hickey ignites the pyrotechnics like a pro. The stomping drum digs of Gary Fanali crackle soundly through the recording, and the firm thuds in the bass pulls from Stephen Lorusso beef up the rhythm section really nice. Produced by Travis Bell, The Path Begins Here EP puts the band’s best effort forward, and other than having a ballad on the disc, Vivacity hit every corner of power rock’s Diaspora. Recorded at Adorea Studios in Connecticut, the EP shows excellent production quality. The drum strikes in “Delightful Distraction” feel like they are in 3-D coming right at you, and Hickey’s background vocals on “Insomnia” create a romantic shroud waving gently behind Battinelli’s vocals without blocking the penetration in her volume.

Battinelli puts an extra pounce in the lyrics by flexing the muscles in her mouth and shaping the emotional content of the words by varying the resonance of the notes. Some words are held in long sweeps, others are made into ripples of oval-sized rings or puffing spurts, and still others graze across the music scales sleekly modulating the keys inside the same breath. The command that Battinelli shows over her vocals is tremendous and laudable for a man or woman, and the band’s penchant for lyrics that have emotional content gives her the impetus to sink her voice into the words. The song “Close That Door” could be the basis for a scene on the CW’s TV show “Gossip Girl” when Battinelli busts out, “Where did you go last night / Cause everything you’ve been waiting for crashed down / And I’ve been alone all this time / And I can’t take this anymore.”

Vivacity shine bright on their EP, The Path Begins Here. Though it is only 3-tracks long, you’ll get a good idea about this band’s capabilities and power rock digs. With all of the members ranging in ages from 17 to 19 years old, this band of friends from Stamford, Connecticut are just enjoying the thrill they get from making meaningful songs.

Recommended if you like:Damone, Paramore, Boys Like Girls

www.myspace.com/vivacityct

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
08:40 PM on 08/04/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
I can almost hear the all the Paramore similarity comments...
Sounds like something i'd like to hear.

Until then I'll keep listening to Vedera for my female fronted pop rock needs.
11:29 PM on 08/04/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
wow on the reviewer rating. how do you do that?
07:21 AM on 08/05/08
ljs24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Vivacity's first EP was great, but they've really seemed to pull it out and mature in this one. Thumbs up to this review! Can't wait for the release date, my ipod could use some more like this.
01:10 PM on 08/05/08
asteria
My job sucks more than yours.
User Info.
decent band.
12:54 PM on 08/12/08
HoldFastHope
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"It is a lineup that is comparable to the Yankees, Derek Jeter, Alexander Rodriguez, and Andy Pettitte, each coming up to the plate one after the other to bat. Like these ball players, all three bands are equal in strength and performance and should be on the same team."

So, what you're saying is Damone and Paramore are comparable to seeing Hall of Fame offensive players at the plate while Vivacity is comparable to the pathetic offensive prowess of a lifelong American League pitcher (aka, he doesn't bat). By far the worst analogy imaginable. I mean you could've gone with Melky Cabrera and at least you would've had three position players who see regular at-bats. But no, you decided to go with a 36 year old AL pitcher who has had a total of 181 ABs in his entire career. Bravo.
11:17 PM on 01/07/09
x13looDx
User Info.
where can i get it?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music