Password

Album Review
Norma Jean - The Anti Mother Album Cover

Norma Jean - The Anti Mother

Reviewed by
Norma Jean - The Anti Mother
Release Date: August 5, 2008
Record Label: Solid State
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Norma Jean vocalist Cory Brandan explains The Anti Mother as “The Anti Mother is a character we created which represents anything that is deceptive, and yet possesses an outwardly beautiful nature.” Which makes sense, as the fourth album from the metalcore staple is the most melodic album they’ve created. Going back to work with Redeemer producer Ross Robinson, the band has learned how to channel that aggressiveness into something more melodic, while still being just as destructive as before. How this turns out on disc is yet to be heard.

“Vipers, Snakes, and Actors” begin the showdown in fine Norma Jean fashion: Brandan’s growl is overpowering, the drums hit like Josh Hamilton, and the guitar chords could be arrested for causing a domestic disturbance. “Self-Employed Chemist” features Brandan’s singing skills and musically it sounds like something off a From First To Last album. It’s not my favorite song, but it is rather catchy. “Birth Of The Anti Mother” is rambunctious, with a dizzying guitar and bass combo. It’s an auditory beatdown, as Brandan screams “We came for blood!,” while “Death Of The Anti Mother” is a slower, sludgy song, putting the dismay on display.

The band enlisted some guest vocals on The Anti Mother, but with a little twist. The band asked their guests to co-write the song with them. The first evidence of this is “Surrender Your Sons” which features Deftones vocalist Chino Moreno and Saosin’s very own Cove Reber. The track has a definite Deftones vibe to it; it’s beautifully haunting in the verses, while incredibly vicious in the chorus, making it one of the highlights on the album. Page Hamilton of Helmet fame helped with the creation of “Opposite Of Left And Wrong,” a chunky alt-rocker with huge cymbals, while the call and return of the two vocalists is stimulating. “Discipline Your Daughters” features more singing and doesn’t sound like a Norma Jean song at all, whereas “And There Will Be A Swarm Of Hornets” is a nine and a half minute sprawling headbanger that closes out The Anti Mother, leaving a buzzing sensation in your ear canal.

It’s no surprise to me that Norma Jean is at their best when they let everything hang out and go apeshit with breakdowns and vocal shredding. While they show that they are more than capable to add melody to their repertoire, it feels awkward and forced at times. “Self-Employed Chemist” and “Discipline Your Daughters” feel out of place. Tracks like “Vipers, Snakes, and Actors” know how to rock the party though. In the end, you are still getting what you expect out of the Douglasville, GA, quintet: solid metalcore (albeit, metalcore you have heard before; they aren’t exactly reinventing the wheel here) with a furious assault of energy and a tinge of melody, only this time a lot more melody. It may take a few listens for fans to really get into the album, but overall, The Anti Mother continues the solidity and consistently that Redeemer began. The actual music seems oxymoronic to the origin of the title, as the beneath the rough exterior of Norma Jean lies clean and pure melody.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Vipers, Snakes, and Actors
2. Self Employed Chemist
3. Birth of the Anti Mother
4. Robots 3 Humans 0
5. Death of the Anti Mother
6. Surrender Your Sons (feat. Chino Moreno and Cove Reber)
7. Murphy Was An Optimist
8. Opposite of Left and Wrong (ft. Page Hamilton)
9. Discipline Your Daughters
10. And There Will Be A Swarm Of Hornets
Produced by: Ross Robinson

Norma Jean are:
Cory Brandan – vocals/guitars
Scottie Henry – guitars
Jake Schultz – bass
Chris Day – guitars
Chris Raines – drums

Buy the album now at

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 104
12:10 AM on 08/05/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
I'm liking this release so far good stuff drew. I odnt' quite like it as much as Redeemer though.
02:47 AM on 08/05/08
SexyJeff
Pfft. This Is Dildos
User Info.
Had this since saturday and I agree that it's pretty much what I was expecting from Norma Jean. The melody is a great addition to their sound. They may not be reinventing the metalcore wheel, but they still put a majority of other metalcore bands to shame
03:51 AM on 08/05/08
omgshe'sdead
what the fuck is up
User Info.
This band is terrible.

Really terrible.

As in like, if the metalcore train crashed into a huge truck of suck, that would be this band.
05:00 AM on 08/05/08
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
This band is terrible.

Really terrible.

As in like, if the metalcore train crashed into a huge truck of suck, that would be this band.

Did you even listen to the new album before saying that? And if so, why are they terrible in your opinion?
05:31 AM on 08/05/08
TooLateF0rRoses
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album was much better than i expected. Not saying it is amazing, but it is pretty solid.
05:47 AM on 08/05/08
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
good review Drew.

I would have given it at least an 80% though. I think this band has continued to grow into its own, and even a song like "Robots 3 Humans 0" could be a radio hit I would be proud of. This album was just what I expected, and after a few listens am not too disappointed in.
05:50 AM on 08/05/08
pand75
@pand75
User Info.
Yeah I'm really digging this release, but it's my least favorite out of them all. Even the Luti-Kriss album is ahead of this one IMO. Don't get me wrong, this album is incredible, just it's their weakess effort. Once again, IMO.
06:05 AM on 08/05/08
Kgod
I disagree!
User Info.
Good review, and I can't wait to pick this album up.
06:08 AM on 08/05/08
asteria
My job sucks more than yours.
User Info.
this band, has always been a one of those bands that i can listen to a few songs from, but never an entire cd.

however, after reading this review i might actually check out the entire album. thanks!
06:23 AM on 08/05/08
Daniel Thompson
Act 1, Scene 3
User Info.
great review, drew
06:25 AM on 08/05/08
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
I'm only a so-so metalcore fan, but I still spin Redeemer when I'm in the mood for that sort of thing and it's grown on me... I'll be picking up Anti-Mother today.
06:29 AM on 08/05/08
xlanyonx
User Info.
I love this album, I didn't think I would as much as I do. It's different to their older stuff, reminds me of ETID in a way. *****
06:43 AM on 08/05/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Nice to see an actually good and thought-provoking reason for an album name.
06:48 AM on 08/05/08
peewhai
User Info.
Some people should really stop holding on to Norma Jean's past releases.
Norma Jean is a phenomenal band and each release should be appreciated for its own qualities and distinctive sound. The anti-mother is an extremely solid and well crafted piece of art. If you can't accept and respect their growth well I suggest you go listen to some on-the-surface trash like bring me the horizon and the devil wears prada.
Kudos to Norma Jean for sticking to their guns while all the other metal-core warped tour bands spend some quality time fixing their hair and getting some sweet baddass tattoos that reel all the little boys and little girls in.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos