Password

Album Review
Person L - Initial Album Cover

Person L - Initial

Reviewed by
Person L - Initial
Release Date: August 5th, 2008
Record Label: Unsigned
So what can you expect from someone who's mastered the craft? Surely more mastering of the craft, or a stamp of approval and a toss into the history books. Like Kenny Vasoli, the singer behind the start-up pop-punk wonder boys, The Starting Line. At this point in his career, it's not that he has done it all, it's just that, when it comes to pop-punk, there isn't much more he has to learn.

Which is why when word came out that Mr. Vasoli had a little 'ol side project, it made sense. Here's someone who's been dribbling sweet hooks for the greater part of his young adult years, spinning, caressing and nourishing them like a pro. A more experimental and indie side project was inevitable. A boy's gotta explore his boundaries, right? Vasoli grabbed some friends (Brian Medlin, Charles Schnieder, Nathaniel Vaeth, and Ryan Zimmaro, to be exact) and demos started to peek out of his Myspace page. People got pumped.

Now that Initial is out, the results are shaping up. On "Wooden Soldiers", the first song off the eight song debut, Vasoli strikes a tender melody. Guitar tones immediately set an atmospheric tone - they are gentle, cosmic and clever. "Holy Hell", the second track, thrashes with dirty, distorted riffs. Electronics flop around like sloppy kisses. Already in the first two tracks, Vasoli and new team are throwing new elements to the wind and making them work. Nothing on Initial is hard to digest, even in the moments when the band samples in the post escapades. Thanks to his background in pop, Vasoli's vocals are always smooth, even when they growl. It's certainly a proof of expertise and experience, but it's also a note of versatility.

On "Canyon Lands", the percussion and bass pitter jazzily next to another cosmic soundscape. Vasoli draws out his croons to match and complement the free-flowing watershed of electronics and guitars. For all of the tracks on Initial, there are tons of layers and textures, which should quickly quell any pop-punk comparisons. On "Born In The Rainy Days of May", Vasoli shouts and sings over a tribal beat, fuzzy guitars are scattered and, suddenly, it's almost impossible to remember the hook on "Best of Me".

It's not enough to call Vasoli a one trick pony, because he's obviously not. The point is that he's got two tricks now, one that he's had down for years and another that sounds as though it coming quite easy. And that's the most impressive part of Initial. Nothing is forced, no lyric is washed up and each song has it's own merits - the snap-clap of "We're Gonna Run Out of Road", the repeated riff on "Sunshine", or the absolute catch of "Storms". For a debut, it's turns out a remarkable output, a product that most bands toil at for years. As pleased as I am, I'm not surprised. I expected nothing less from V and his new crew.

Additional InformationAP.net Profile | Myspace | Buy
This review is a user submitted review from Julia Conny. You can see all of Julia Conny's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 109
06:55 AM on 08/05/08
asteria
My job sucks more than yours.
User Info.
i'm just not feeling this album. am i the only one?
06:56 AM on 08/05/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
for Julia

for this album
06:57 AM on 08/05/08
Ozy
User Info.
Solid review, good job.

I might pick this up
07:08 AM on 08/05/08
Everiggs
<--------Hot
User Info.
i'm just not feeling this album. am i the only one?

No...It makes me sad I can't get into this.
07:13 AM on 08/05/08
TooLateF0rRoses
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this really isnt that good to get mid 80s... maybe mid 70s to be nice... i hate that talking growl thing he does in almost all the songs. not a fan of this personally.
07:19 AM on 08/05/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
for Julia

for this album

I love what he's doing with this so much. It's been on repeat like mad for me.

this really isnt that good to get mid 80s... maybe mid 70s to be nice... i hate that talking growl thing he does in almost all the songs. not a fan of this personally.

I love growls. My faves. But I can understand if they're not your thing.
07:20 AM on 08/05/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
I'm so into this right now, if you couldn't tell, ha.
07:26 AM on 08/05/08
Kgod
I disagree!
User Info.
I also didn't care for the few songs I had heard either. I won't say it was bad, but it didn't stick with me like a good Starting Line song.
07:38 AM on 08/05/08
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
No...It makes me sad I can't get into this.

dude, SWEET avatar! BRULE'S RULES!!
07:44 AM on 08/05/08
TooLateF0rRoses
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm so into this right now, if you couldn't tell, ha.

haha its cool, glad you like it. By no means am i saying it is horrible. It is just after two or three listens so far i am finding it hard to get into, but i will press on and listen more. Very well written review as always btw...
07:44 AM on 08/05/08
ccskalright
User Info.
I think it's one that'll grow on you after a while. I really like "Wooden Soldiers" and "Storms" but I gotta sit on it to really get into the other ones.
08:00 AM on 08/05/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
haha its cool, glad you like it. By no means am i saying it is horrible. It is just after two or three listens so far i am finding it hard to get into, but i will press on and listen more. Very well written review as always btw...

Thanks

The more I listen, the more I pick up on the finer details, and I think that's where I'm totally sold. Plus, I'm sure a huge fan of his voice, that kinda blurs my vision.
08:02 AM on 08/05/08
mallyland
Graduation: May 23rd
User Info.
I wasn't going to read this because I need to write a review for it too, but it looks like we have completely different opinions about it. I totally wasted money on this album.
08:15 AM on 08/05/08
all is on.
but i'm gonna mace you in the face!
User Info.
great review!

listened to it on purevolume... waiting for mine to come in the mail!

i sing the body electric, person l's best song, isn't on the album. everyone should go check it out.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos