Username
Password
MTV News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
MTV
Inside AP.net

Rage Against the Drunk Frat Guys

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (08/06/08)
Rage Against the Machine rocks. Their fans, not so much, as they have more in common with George W. Bush than the band they're listening to, writes James Montgomery in this week's Bigger Than the Sound.
From the ArticleAfter all, the dudes doing the damage at Lollapalooza weren't revolutionaries, they were drunk frat guys. Jocks. Steakheads. They were angry, for sure, though I'm not really sure why or at whom. They didn't seem to be the kinds of people who have much to be angry about, actually. And as I watched them stream out of the Lollapalooza gates, shirtless, some bloody, yelling and kicking half-full cups of beer at people, it occurred to me that these so-called Rage fans actually had more in common with the people in power, the shadowy corporate figureheads, and the George W. Bushes of the world than they do with anyone else. They're all bullies: cruel and powerful and unconcerned with the plight of the little people.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 73
09:09 AM on 08/06/08
counting_saturn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I am so sick of people like that guy. Assumptions are one of the worst things a person can do.
09:11 AM on 08/06/08
TooLateF0rRoses
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
09:15 AM on 08/06/08
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
I won't argue that but there were real RATM fans who's anger was also real. So real, they couldn't help but to break down a gate and storm in without having tickets. It wasn't all a bunch of bros being stupid. Out of 75,000 people, there is bound to be a bunch of assholes. Thats just a given.
09:17 AM on 08/06/08
shermanology
Dubnium
User Info.
I am so sick of people like that guy. Assumptions are one of the worst things a person can do.

Its not assumptions, its observations. Your typical rage against the machine fan is a well off middle class white guy, the exact machine that they are raging against.

I have a friend who's favorite band is Rage. Hes also a George W. loving neo-con. It boggles the mind.
09:17 AM on 08/06/08
caress me down
Music Is My Aeroplane
User Info.
damn. that must be a punch in the face for the band
09:18 AM on 08/06/08
jetblack1231
User Info.
who cares. stop whining.

the thing that i find disturbing is this:
they're signed to a major record label (epic), so they've been making money off the very same music industry that's (for the most part) controlled by the idea of capitalism. as long as their signed to a major label like this, they'll always hypocrites in my book. so ratm can bitch about america all they want, and they'll continue making money off their own hypocritical existence. and no, i don't buy Tom Morello's excuse. If he believes so strongly in ratm's cause they should cut the shit and follow their own agenda.
09:19 AM on 08/06/08
Hainzey X
destiny found.
User Info.
really enjoyed this article. good read.

any other bands that seem to draw this kind of crowd ?
oldwirehands
User Info.
Its not assumptions, its observations. Your typical rage against the machine fan is a well off middle class white guy, the exact machine that they are raging against.

I have a friend who's favorite band is Rage. Hes also a George W. loving neo-con. It boggles the mind.

Go to the RNC September 3rd in Minneapolis and you'll say differently...
oldwirehands
User Info.
really enjoyed this article. good read.

any other bands that seem to draw this kind of crowd ?

Korn.
09:21 AM on 08/06/08
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
User Info.

I'm not a Bush fan by any stretch, but you are saying that because I'm white and make decent money then I can't listen to and like RATM?
09:21 AM on 08/06/08
HolyCrapola
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I didn't read the entire article, however, I see nothing wrong with his statement. He didn't say "ALL Rage fans are bro-jocks who don't care about little people"...he was saying some of the ones he saw were. To me, the only thing that would make his stance wrong, would be if he completely generalized...he clearly doesn't do that.

I don't believe that the meanings behinds a bands songs has to completely dictate or determine exactly who the band appeals to. Sure, it helps...but lyrics are only a certain aspect of a song. There's plenty of tunes that I can't relate to or understand, but enjoy listening to quite a bit.
09:22 AM on 08/06/08
3mpire
Beads. BEES?! Beads! BEADS?!
User Info.
Yawn...
09:24 AM on 08/06/08
LouderThanBombs
Fuck NSA
User Info.
He has a point.
09:30 AM on 08/06/08
DItaliaO