AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Boys Night Out - Make Yourself Sick Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8
Production 7.75
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.83
Musicianship 9.58
Lyrics 10
Production 9.33
Creativity 9.42
Lasting Value 9.92
Reviewer Tilt 9.67
Average: 97%
Inside AP.net

Boys Night Out - Make Yourself Sick

Reviewed by: Billy Da Mute (08/06/08)
Boys Night Out - Make Yourself Sick
Record Label: Ferret Music
Release Date: September 23, 2003

Back in the early 00’s, when combining hardcore-influenced-screaming with pop punk riffs was still somewhat a new concept/genre/whatever you will, Boys Night Out burst onto the scene, crossing the borders from Canada and bringing with them a uniquely catchy style of music. Prior to their debut on Ferret Records with Make Yourself Sick, they had released an EP entitled Broken Bones and Bloody Kisses, which got them noticed by bigger labels and touring more and more with well known bands. Make Yourself Sick was a hit in the face, filled with tongue in cheek lyrics, some pretty legitimate hardcore vocals, some snazzy song titles, and constantly changing riffs that manage to get stuck in your head, making this one trip that you didn’t know was over until their was silence in your headphones.

As Make Yourself Sick opens with the contagiously catchy tune named “I Got Punched in the Face for Sticking My Nose in Other People's Business”, vocalist Connor Lovat proclaims “I hate being famous for my hits / And never for my misses / Bloody kisses from poison lips / Leaves lovers dead in ditches.” The raw sounding screams and static vocals seem to make the song more entertaining then if it was better produced, and as the song comes to more then halfway over, the catchy, hand-clapping filled chorus of, "Drag my corpse through the city / I never got to visit / Promise don’t let me miss it," had me tapping along. Following immediately after, “(Just Once) Lets Do Something Different,” “The First Time It Shouldn’t Taste Like Blood,” and” It’s Dylan, You Know the Drill” keep a fast paced, fun time. As the slower “Hold on Tightly, Let Go Lightly,” opens up, slow guitar riffs and dark, yet clever lyrics mix with some backing screaming make it a nice change up of pace.

As the second half of the album rolls around, some standouts include “The Subtitles That Make Mass Murderers Out of Otherwise Decent People,” “I was the Devil for One Afternoon,” and the seven-minute closing song “Yeah. No… I Know…” The CD ends very nicely, with fading screams, and a craving for more, until you pick up their amazing sophomore CD, also a pretty ballin’ concept album, Trainwreck. As I mentioned above, Boys Night Out manage to not only play and sing pop punk vocals and riffs quite well, but when Lovat wants to scream, the dude can scream pretty well. This is a CD that’s fun to listen to every now and again, to listen to some raw, quality, fun sounding stuff, and maybe just for old time sake, before everything started to seem to sound the same.

Make Yourself Sick definitely was a promising step for these guys from up north to make an impact in the music scene, and even today I can go back and take this record for a spin and still have a good time listening to it. Boys Night Out grow with each album, and they’re a blast to see live. If you think you need something new to listen to, or want to give a band a shot you may have ignored, pick Trainwreck up, then move onto this. The raw, unpolished sound may turn some off, but it is worthy of being in any collection.

Recommended if You LikeFrom Autumn to Ashes, Funeral for a Friend, A Static Lullaby, The Receiving End of Sirens

myspace.com/boysnightout

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
07:39 PM on 08/18/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I've never heard this release, or trainwreck, but I have to say that this band was really bad live when i saw them with the Dear Hunter, and they're lead singer was a complete ass to some of his huge fans we happened to talk to.

What I've heard of their screaming stuff isn't bad, but the new album fell completely flat imo.
03:27 AM on 08/22/08
Domenic182
probably been here longer than you
User Info.
I bought this album when it came out, and I still listen.
This or Trainwreck is there best, I can't decide.
04:31 AM on 08/22/08
guitarliketom
i'm still here?
User Info.
I've never heard this release, or trainwreck, but I have to say that this band was really bad live when i saw them with the Dear Hunter, and they're lead singer was a complete ass to some of his huge fans we happened to talk to.

What I've heard of their screaming stuff isn't bad, but the new album fell completely flat imo.

i put off listening to them for years due to seeing them suck ass live and having to sit through them, but then a friend forced me to listen to trainwreck one day.

easily in my top 10 cds. its a good listen.
06:34 AM on 08/22/08
DangerousDarrin
User Info.
Yes, this CD is pretty good. Trainwreck is one of the best concept albums I've ever heard. And to think I hated it at first! I almost never bought it.
07:32 AM on 08/22/08
emoishardcore
emoishardcore
User Info.
best concept album? i wouldn't go that far as to say that. i liked the album. but did not adore it by any means. i'd like to know what made it a top ten concept album besides the fact that it was a concept album. the premise was simple, which doesn't make it bad, but certainly does not make it amazing.

and i agree with the majority of people who say they suck live. true story.
07:57 AM on 08/22/08
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
best concept album? i wouldn't go that far as to say that. i liked the album. but did not adore it by any means. i'd like to know what made it a top ten concept album besides the fact that it was a concept album. the premise was simple, which doesn't make it bad, but certainly does not make it amazing.

and i agree with the majority of people who say they suck live. true story.
Nice name ******.
08:03 AM on 08/22/08
concealer611
User Info.
Great album, a few great songs. Not as great as Trainwreck, but definitely worth listening to every now and then.
08:04 AM on 08/22/08
jimjam32
www.myspace.com/withhonorsmusic
User Info.
dunno why people say these guys sucks live, they are awesome live, and I met connor at warped 05 and he was cool as hell. took a picture with me and thanked me for watching them. cant wait to hear some new stuff from these guys
08:06 AM on 08/22/08
francisRUINER
User Info.
boys night out is a great band and Make Yourself Sick is proof of that
09:18 AM on 08/22/08
con40dmitri
User Info.
boys night out? really?
09:31 AM on 08/22/08
MusicScoutJustn
Independent Promoter
User Info.
easily in my top 10 cds. its a good listen.

Trainwreck is in my top ten as well.
10:09 AM on 08/22/08
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Seeing this made me throw it on. haha

Forgot how much I liked this cd.
11:45 AM on 08/22/08
jboneill
free ep @ theastounding.com
User Info.
****ing amazing band, great guys, MYS was incredible only to be topped slightly by Trainwreck both in my top 10 - also saw them with the Dear Hunter and what a show that was - connor fucking rocks
06:21 PM on 08/22/08
sargentlgfuad
Glass boy
User Info.
i really liked trainwreck, but i could never get into this album.
i semi-like their newer album, but nothing they've done is even close to Trainwreck.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums