Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Bands and Politics--Your Thoughts

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (08/07/08)
As the 2008 election heats up, it will become a common occurrence to see bands talk about who they think you should vote for or support. Whether or not you agree with their stance, you're going to hear political propaganda from some of your favorite bands this year and, at a live setting, there's nothing you can really do about it. We would like to know what you think about this. We've seen bands like Sum 41, NOFX, and Bright Eyes be very vocal about their stance in politics and it has been met with both support and aversion. Do you like it when bands use their position to talk politics, or would you prefer them to stick with music? How far is too far when it comes to discussing politics at a concert?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 184
07:35 AM on 08/07/08
SanePsychotic
Queerkegaard
User Info.
I prefer most bands to stick to the music, unless they talk about political issues in their music frequently. Nothing bothers me more than when bands suddenly get political.
07:37 AM on 08/07/08
ekw611
Erin Wyer
User Info.
I don't like it when Non-American bands voice their opinions on American politics. Otherwise, it really is a free country so- say what you want. The sad thing is there will always be people who will vote for whoever they are told to, regardless if that comes from their parents, favorite band, or whoever influences them.
07:38 AM on 08/07/08
Liter-O-Cola
Is there a ghost in my house?
User Info.
Good topic...Personally, I don't go to a concert to be preached to, even if I agree with what the band is saying. I'm just there for the music. But if a band wants to ask fans to visit their website or something to learn about some political cause, thats no big deal. Musicians can be influential people, but I don't think they need to waste their fans' time/possibly offend someone when people pay their own money to see the band perform, not ramble.
07:40 AM on 08/07/08
ekw611
Erin Wyer
User Info.
Good point, I would say most people pay for the music and not a political band stand.
07:43 AM on 08/07/08
F.O.C.U.S.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think it's fine for bands to talk politics, whether i agree with them or not, same with religion etc, its their way of expressing themselves, and if their soapboxes just happen to be larger then ours and equipped with microphones then good for them. If i go to a show, then i'm there by my own choice, and i probably knew what I was getting into, and if i don't like it, i can leave. to say, "you are a musician, you can't talk about politics because you aret a pundit or politician" doesnt make any sense. the governator and ronald regan, got to cross those lines as actors turned politicians. and then theres mike huckabee, who is soo hXc because he's in a band...

there are some bands i refuse to listen to on the basis of their badly informed politcal stances, and others i will listen to and agree to disagree.
07:43 AM on 08/07/08
WTG
Former Two-Time APWP Champion
User Info.
I hate it when I go to a concert of a band I love and then have to hear their political views, even if I agree with them. The one that pissed me off the most was Yellowcard at 2004 Warped Tour, to a mostly under 18 crowd, preaching about how bad Bush was and urging us all to go vote against him. I mean, if you are going to get political and put forth your own views, at least tell people to research it themselves, come up with their own minds. Don't dictate who they should vote for. No where does it say that since I enjoy listening to "View From Heaven" I should go vote for John Kerry.
07:50 AM on 08/07/08
CurtyB
gettin emo!
User Info.
I think it's great when they do it without mentioning support or disdain for one party or another; when they speak about issues, I think it's really good that they are using that stage (pun intended) to bring light to an issue. I'm extremely politically minded, but I can understand why some people would be frustrated when a musician they paid to see is advocating one party over another.
07:52 AM on 08/07/08
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
User Info.
I think it's ok for bands to talk politics, so long as it is in moderation. No one goes to a concert to hear the band talk for an hour about Obama, or McCain, or whoever the artist is choosing to support. It's ok to use your noteability to state your views, but, you just have to remember that the fans are there for the music.

That said, there are tasteful ways to be political, see: Rock the Vote. Or a free concert to campaign for a candidate.
07:55 AM on 08/07/08
JWBska
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i hate it. i don't buy albums of bands talking about their political views so i'm not paying to go to a concert and listen to them talk about their political views. If its a part of their music and has always been a part of their music, thats fine. But for your average band to just start getting political... lame. Music is love and politics just blow.
08:11 AM on 08/07/08
John JD Dorian
walks amongst us, not one of us
User Info.
i think it is more important for bands to encourage people to get out and vote, not to preach for whom to vote.
08:12 AM on 08/07/08
CurtyB
gettin emo!
User Info.
i hate it. i don't buy albums of bands talking about their political views so i'm not paying to go to a concert and listen to them talk about their political views. If its a part of their music and has always been a part of their music, thats fine. But for your average band to just start getting political... lame. Music is love and politics just blow.

That's a terrifying statement.
08:16 AM on 08/07/08
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm so sick of people saying "please keep your mouth shut abut politics and just play the songs I want to hear." Passion needs to inspire art, and people are passionate about their political stance. Whether it be Anti-Flag or Toby Keith and everything in between. Ever notice the people saying "waaaaah, don't talk about politics just play your songs!" are usually just pissed because they don't AGREE with whatever is being said.

I hope more bands speak out politically so we can stop being such an apathetic nation. Of course, rock music has always tended to swing towards the left (because of the historical rebellious nature of the genre) but I'm happy to have both sides speaking up.
08:17 AM on 08/07/08
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

I take it you masturbate to a picture of George W. most nights?
08:17 AM on 08/07/08
Wildflower61388
Denice
User Info.
i think it is more important for bands to encourage people to get out and vote, not to preach for whom to vote.
exactly what i was going to say
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums