AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Shakedown, The - The Shakedown Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 7
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Shakedown, The - The Shakedown

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (08/10/08)
The Shakedown - The Shakedown
Record Label: None
Release Date: 2008

A few years back, I thought of writing my column for the school paper on blending the most ridiculous genres of music together. What if there was folk-screamo or an opera with a complete orchestration of bluegrass music? Does any of this exist? Maybe, and maybe we just don't know about it.

Within the first two minutes of The Shakedown's self-titled record, I had no idea what my "Recommended if You Like" section was going to consist of. "Intro" is the opening plane take off of Further Seems Forever's The Moon is Down crashing into "Piercing the Porcelain." From what begins to sound like a slick indie throwback of psychedelia, drummer Dave Daniel throws in his screaming vocals over guitar effects and a straight punk-esqe composition.

The guitar line in "He Man Womun Haters" is upbeat and danceable. "Goonies Never Say Die" is early millennia punk rock. The ending to "In Absence" is lo-fi reckoning. "Truth Be Told" should land the band at a side stage of this year's Warped Tour, closing out the album completely different from how it started.

"Nothing Ruins the Taste of Peanut Butter Like Unrequited Love," "The Constant" and "Tornare in Patria" seem slow and out of place. But it also goes to show just how much musical ground The Shakedown are ambitiously trying to cover.

The Shakedown have a lot to look forward to in the future if they decide on their sound. I like when bands try to blend different textures to create something new, but the band's palette may be just too much. The colors across their self-titled are great, but the picture as a whole is a bit confusing. If the band step down from the 24 box of crayons to a 12, and hone those skills, we all may just be in for something new and extremely accessibly great.

Recommended if You Likepunk-dance-indie-screamo-rock

myspace.com/shakedownpa

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums