Password

Album Review
Secret and Whisper - Great White Whale Album Cover

Secret and Whisper - Great White Whale

Reviewed by
Secret and Whisper - Great White Whale
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
Release Date: February 12, 2008
Secret and Whisper, which is basically a revamped Stutterfly with a new vocalist, has received ample praise for their Tooth and Nail debut, Great White Whale. However, I feel that "teh smackdownz" that need to be laid down for the record have not been properly laid down. So here's my shot at harpooning and humbling this whale of acclaim; a creature that, in my opinion, was born unnecessarily.

To begin, I don't mean to say the album is all bad. Great White Whale is at the least a catchy record. The band displays their talent in every track and the album cover is captivating, which is an understatement.

The whalers sight a whale. They are eager to go after the beast, but pause to reflect on what they are about to do; they are about to take a life.

At first listen, Great White Whale seems to be a tight but painfully generic album. Those riffs heard on "Spider Besider" echo the familiar nu-metal trend, while slower numbers like "The Actress" present an overdone emo style.

The whalers aim their harpoons and fire. The lethal objects soar through the air...

Things took a turn for the worse when I popped in the album and literally thought I was listening to Saosin. Charles Furney's vocals are nearly identical to that of Anthony Green's and the crunchy guitars are extraordinarily reminiscent of the guitars heard on Saosin's self-titled 2006 album. There are even short drum attack spurts here and there, something Saosin fondly utilizes. Not enough? Listen to the opening line of "Lovers." Sound like the opening line of "Voices"? Great White Whale is probably what Saosin would sound like if Green had stayed in the band. Some might argue that the song structures between the two bands are different, thus helping Secret and Whisper maintain originality. I beg to differ. Pop in the aforementioned self-titled disc and Great White Whale, and play them back to back. Originality? I don't think so. Even if the song structures do differ, it's subtle enough to charge Secret and Whisper as a rip off.

The harpoons bury themselves deep within the whale's skin. The giant creature roars in pain.

If the band hopes to receive recognition for their adept musicianship, they really need to start by writing more original songs. Today's scene is a crowded one, and from the looks of it, the only band that will even be remotely remembered from the recent emo/nu-metal movement is Saosin. Sounding exactly like Saosin doesn't enhance the band's lasting value at all.

The whale realizes it may not have much longer to live. It looks to the skies for any sign of help.

Secret and Whisper actually have the potential to go far. Exceptional and rich lyrics like "A phantom walks to the sea / Fades and secretly drowns / until his heart's appeased / If I lost you I swear I meant to give you a second chance" set the band up almost ethereally. Plus, factor in their talent and all they have to do is distinguish themselves from the band that they've so blatantly ripped off in order to strike it rich. This review may convey an overall sense of negativity, but mark my words: expect stellar things coming from the Canadian band's camp in the near future.

The skies answer and darken as an unexpected hurricane arrives at the scene. The whalers are pummeled by dramatic waves and harrowing winds as they reluctantly release their grip on their harpoons. The whale has a chance to survive, but in order to do so, it must leave the section of the sea it calls home and move on to new waters.

Recommended if You LikeSaosin

myspace.com/secretandwhisper
This review is a user submitted review from Matthew Tsai. You can see all of Matthew Tsai's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
10:48 AM on 09/01/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
haha an experimental attempt at a review epic
06:42 PM on 09/03/08
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
Quote:

However, I feel that "teh smackdownz" that need to be laid down for the record have not been properly laid down.

I'm just bitter because I thought I did lay down teh smackdownz. I like this review better than mine though.
06:55 PM on 09/03/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
i was looking for a more harsh "saosin rip-off!" approach haha. but i liked your review too
06:14 AM on 09/04/08
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Interesting review.
11:00 AM on 09/04/08
meghanlail
Do you know what stars are?
User Info.
Good review. While I do think they sound way too much like Saosin, I can't stand Anthony Green's voice so I'm extremely biased towards Charles. Haha.
05:49 AM on 09/08/08
cereal4life
User Info.
I think using phrases like "teh smackdownz", while said sarcastically, doesn't make for a good review. While this album is generic as, it is hardly nu-metal and there are a few memorable and enjoyable tracks.
07:52 PM on 09/22/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
well i obviously beg to differ!
11:29 AM on 11/17/08
unnameworthy
Gypsy Wizard
User Info.
I'm still divided on this band. Your point is well-stated, but Saosin have gone so far downhill that I don't mind listening to music I wish was actually Saosin.
08:34 PM on 01/27/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
This is so true
i was actually thinking the same thing when i popped in the disc
but i love saosins music so i didnt mind
and there are definetely some more differences you didnt mention (listen to Great White Whale and album opener blonde Monster)
but i love how you ended this positively
since the band does show talent
04:09 PM on 02/28/10
JDizzzle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i thought secret and whisper sounded like saosin when i first heard them too...but i bought their album and i realized they are totally different...and u cant sit there and say they are copying saosin....because charles has been singing like that ever since he was in the band Bleeding Alarm...and Secret and whisper used to be stutterfly before they had Charles and they've always played that heavy style music....if you actually listen to the whole album u'll realize they dont sound nothing like saosin....its not like saosin owns heavy guitars with high singing and crazy drums...other bands can do that stuff too
04:45 PM on 07/19/11
Zookeeper156
Zookeeper156
User Info.
The vocalist is the best i've heard in a longgggggggggg ass time. I'm gonna put him up there with Anthony Green. Not to mention the instrumentation is fabulous. I need more from this band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos