AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Weepies, The - Hideaway Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 6.25
Lyrics 5.25
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 3.25
Reviewer Tilt 5.75
Final Verdict: 61%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 7
Average: 75%

Weepies, The - Hideaway

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (08/19/08)
The WeepiesHideaway
Record Label: Nettwerk Records
Release Date: April 22, 2008

Who?

Husband and wife duo make super cheery indie pop and folk. Eventually the television world and Mandy Moore take notice, launching The Weepies into indie stardom.

How Is It?

They say to never have a relationship with a coworker, and I think Hideaway is a perfect example of why this is true. It’s hard to censor your wife if you want a little loving. It’s hard to censor your husband if the yard needs mowing. The album skips along at the same pace for 14 songs and each one starts to sound more and more like the last. Don’t get me wrong; Deb Talan’s milky vocals are oh-so-soothing on songs like sparse “Antarctica” or rickety “How You Survived The War.” Talan and Tannen's harmonizing usually feels like wonderful magic. But the album’s length and lack of diversity is too strong for this lover’s brew. Basically, you're going to be bored before long. Throw a few of these folk-pop ditties on a mixtape – like slightly electric “Hideaway” or piano-laden “All Good Things” – and get on with your sad life.

Recommended If You Like: The Shins turned down, Cocoon, being the cutest you can be, Beulah + love, matching outfits

I'm crazy in lovewww.myspace.com/theweepies

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
04:56 AM on 08/20/08
SwishMX48
In December, drinkin' Horchata
User Info.
I really enjoyed most of the last release, I'll have to check this out. I also had no clue they were husband/wife.
07:56 AM on 08/20/08
IPS Josh
User Info.
This album is much better than 61%, but your review was pretty funny.
07:57 AM on 08/20/08
ohstumbleine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this album. Not as much as "Say I Am You" but pretty close.
10:47 AM on 08/20/08
TMA_Chase
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is an AMAZING album and deserves a much better review. you definitely have to be in certain mood before listening to this record, but when it's right it is OH SO right.

and the lyrics are amazing. 5.25 is ridiculously low.
11:44 AM on 08/20/08
mallyland
Graduation: May 23rd
User Info.
Yeah, I'd have to disagree with the review as well. When I first listened to their songs on myspace, I hated them. But I have a friend who works at Nettwerk, so I felt somewhat obligated to give them another chance. I bought the album and fell in love with it.
12:38 PM on 08/20/08
DanceJamesDance
Elitist- Cause Your Music Sucks
User Info.
This score is way too low. It's amazing how an album like this can get lower score than Cobra Starship or The Maine for pete's sake. I'm disappointed.
12:42 PM on 08/20/08
hf57
for me this is heaven
User Info.
i can maybe understand where you're coming from as it "lacks diversity", but only a 61%?
01:13 PM on 08/20/08
gelinlikeafelon
User Info.
wahhh wahh wahhhh this score is too low
02:28 PM on 08/20/08
cahrishurr
thats like uh just your opinion man
User Info.
I havent heard it in depth but from what I have heard your review is spot on. They are nothing special, kinda boring...even the first album isnt amazing..just kinda alrightttt
03:10 PM on 08/20/08
chillinlikebob
User Info.
Yeah, that rating and review is pathetic IMO, but to each his/her own. I really like all 3 of their records, really awesome feel-good folk.
03:14 PM on 08/20/08
chillinlikebob
User Info.
This score is way too low. It's amazing how an album like this can get lower score than Cobra Starship or The Maine for pete's sake. I'm disappointed.

Yeah, there are definitely a lot of bands that the music won't stand the test of time. The Weepies aren't crap, it's just great folk music for the world to enjoy.
Blake, give it more time man, it's a grower.
03:50 PM on 08/20/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.

Yeah, there are definitely a lot of bands that the music won't stand the test of time. The Weepies aren't crap, it's just great folk music for the world to enjoy.
Blake, give it more time man, it's a grower.

the last week has been plenty of time to let these songs grab hold. They just don't. which is a shame because I do think their story and all that is awesome. But 14 songs? Come on Weepies, at least try something different once or twice, you've given yourself such a big canvas to work with and you're only using the upper right hand corner.
10:01 PM on 08/22/08
Brit0tany4
You Want To Be Fooled
User Info.
:(

I think the album is great, you meanie.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives