Password

Album Review

The Showdown - Back Breaker Album Cover

The Showdown - Back Breaker

Reviewed by
The Showdown - Back Breaker
Record Label: Solid State Records
Release Date: August 19, 2008
The Showdown could slay Hephaestus. The Showdown could slay Zeus. If they wanted to, The Showdown could probably slay Batman.

Tell all the scene kids and your ma: The Showdown is back - and breaking. The band's third LP, Back Breaker, is one of the few metal releases to beat in 2008. Whiny fans of A Chorus of Obliteration, who were disappointed by Temptation Come My Way, have now obtained the right to remain silent. Temptation Come My Way enthusiasts will also find something to like here: Back Breaker is heavy; Back Breaker is brutal; Back Breaker is calling for a re-evaluation of the modern metal scene. Move over "almighty" Norma Jean - I believe the correct phrase is The "almighty" Showdown.

The album explodes with the breakdown-to-wild-riffing instrumental "Titanomachy - The Beginning" and literally never lets up. Even the slower, melodic "Cerebrus - The Hellhound Awaits" rocks beastly guitar chugs and whees. Back Breaker is a nice mix of The Showdown's previous full-length works, full of barbarous breakdowns, savage solos and a decent mix of southern melodies. David Bunton's incredible vocals rumble speakers with growls so raspy, your throat will itch. And it fits with the destructive accompanying music.

"Give us a thirst for vengeance and we will break their backs / Rise!" roars "Achilles - The Backbreaker," as brutal-wannabes (Emmure) quake. The heaviness of Back Breaker can be overwhelming, though it does not quite surpass the brutality of A Chorus of Obliteration. No matter, as The Showdown make it up by bringing back the southern tunes from Temptation Come My Way, which are entertaining to say the least.

Back Breaker does headbang dangerously on the edge of having all the songs sound too similar though, and it may be hard to sit through forty-four minutes of harrowingly crushing tracks. This is the main jarring feature of the album, to which The Showdown reply, "who cares?" and then, "I will strike with the vengeance of a thousand hoards / I am vengeance!" ("Aries - I Am Vengeance"). If you have trouble sitting through the entire album in one sitting, break it up into sections - it's just as enjoyable.

So what lesson can we learn from this record? Don't mess with well done metal, and if your band can't pull off the necessary brutality, you might as well stay away from the genre because more adept bands like The Showdown will absolutely destroy the validity of your career. Back Breaker is a solid album that will undoubtedly land on a sundry of "album of the year" lists (and will very likely be one of the defining records of the band's career; maybe even one of the defining records of the modern metal scene).

Who does the Boogeyman check for under his bed every night? Chuck Norris? No. The Showdown.

Recommended if You Likea combination of The Showdown's A Chorus of Obliteration and Temptation Come My Way

myspace.com/theshowdown
This review is a user submitted review from Matthew Tsai. You can see all of Matthew Tsai's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
12:20 AM on 09/03/08
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review. Well written and very funny. That cover kills me. It looks like the Rock in The Scorpion King. The songs just blend together like they did on the last two cds. I would rather listen to He Is Legend any day. They do the southern metal thing the best and have great song variety.
07:37 AM on 09/03/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
What I've heard of this is okay. I don't like the band, but I've got respect for them just because they mix it up EVERY album.
08:43 AM on 09/03/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Good review. Well written and very funny. That cover kills me. It looks like the Rock in The Scorpion King. The songs just blend together like they did on the last two cds. I would rather listen to He Is Legend any day. They do the southern metal thing the best and have great song variety.

thanks. i think he is legend is overall way more melodic right? i haven't really listened to that much of any of their records
08:48 AM on 09/03/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
thanks. i think he is legend is overall way more melodic right? i haven't really listened to that much of any of their records
Much, much more melodic.. From what I've heard of this release anyways.
They've got a different overall sound too, really.
03:26 PM on 09/03/08
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Yes st it. The reason I was comparing Temptation Come my Way to Suck out the Posion(He Is Legend) is they are both southern metal albums but Suck out the Posion actually has song variety. Every song on TCMY blends together and sound very similar. You should check out Suck out the Posion. It is the best Solid State Records album besides Define the Great Line.
03:07 PM on 09/14/08
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Nice review. If I had loads of money I'd buy this CD, but I don't, so I probably won't.
07:16 PM on 10/05/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
thanks. definitely buy it when you do have the money though. it's generic but legitimately brutal and fun

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos