AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Jimmy Eat World - 10.06.04

Interviewed by
Jimmy Eat World - 10.06.04Phone interview conducted with Jim Adkins (lead vocals, guitar) of Jimmy Eat World on 10/6/04 at 7:35 A.M. (PST)

Jim Adkins – How’s it going, Scott?

Scott Weber – Good, how are you doing?

Jim – Doing well.

Scott – Well, just a quick introduction, I’m Scott and I work for absolutepunk.net and I just appreciate you taking the time to answer a few questions for me this morning.

Jim – Sure.

Scott – Alright then let’s get right to it. Let’s talk about the new album, Futures, coming out October 19. What’s the reasoning behind naming the album Futures?

Jim – Well, it’s…When we piece together an album, we’re not trying to make any specific kind of album. They’re more like big mix tapes of everything we’ve been working on. We must have whittled down from about 30 songs to 11 – or 12, depending where you are, that ended up on the record. And it’s kinda tough to…I mean, I dunno. They’re all about so many different things, it’s kinda tough to pick a… Titles are always kinda weird for us. Look at our fucking dumb ass band name. (laughter) But, I don’t know. I just like that Future’s title can be read into or perceived in a lot of different ways. It’s pessimistic, it’s optimistic, and hopeful, and greedy all at the same time. That’d be the short answer of what we were really trying to say – I haven’t had coffee yet this morning, so I’m kinda…I’m sort of method acting. I’m remembering the last time that I was lucid and witty and trying to act like that.

Scott – So the first single is obviously “Pain”. Why chose that song for a single, and then tell me a little bit about the video, because the video is interesting with all the green camera filters, and the concept, and all that.

Jim – The video sure looks good, huh?

Scott – Yeah!

Jim – (laughs) We chose it for a lead off single because I think it’s always best to kick off with like, a rocker. It kinda stems back to playing new songs at a show. It’s always better to, I think – if you’re going to play stuff no one’s heard before, it’s better to play something energetic. If you think about that, you know. I don’t know, I think it’s one of the heavier songs we’ve made, which is kinda nice, sort of like, throwing out there…it’s a little bit different. You can still tell it’s us, but I think it’s a little different. It’s heavy, and it’s got…I don’t know, just new kinds of things in it. Like there’s that weirdo, almost like euro-dance kind of sounding like processed guitar that kicks in in the second verse. I don’t know…the weirdo flight to the staggering sounding guitar solo. I don’t know. It’s got just enough elements that it presents something recognizable with something new.

Scott
– Do you have any idea what the next single is going to be? Are you going to take a step back and maybe do a slower song, or just get another rocking song out there?

Jim – I don’t know, the single thing is only somewhat up to us. We get together, and we have a pretty good idea with our management and label. I mean it’s kind of…it’s not entirely up to us, but we all see pretty eye to eye on what needs to happen. We haven’t exactly sat down with that powwow yet, but it might be “Work”. I think it might be too early to bring things down to ballads.

Scott – I’m sure you’re aware that Futures leaked online a while ago, month or so ago. It’s being downloaded by a lot of fans, a lot of kids. How do you feel about that, and just downloading in general?

Jim – I think that it’s an interesting phenomena, because we’ve gotten to see…I’m sure it’s going be something that’s going to be debated for a long time. We could talk about that for another couple hours, really. We’ve seen the good side of it, and I think we’ve seen the bad side of it – or how it affects you. I think it is a slight kind of moral dilemma that I don’t think anyone has ever had to deal with before. The idea of intellectual property being – you know – property. That’s what it is, and you’re…the idea of kind of being left up to your own moral standings to decide what is stealing, and what is appropriate and what isn’t. I don’t have a problem with it necessarily if people go and purchase the things that they feel like supporting after maybe checking it out and deciding if…I think if you approach it like a big listening station, then there’s no problem with that. I like the idea of weeding out a lot of the crap that might be out there, I think it sort of forces people to step up and make their albums really mean something, as opposed to just having the song that follows up. I mean I think that’s the bigger problem in the pop world. You have one kind of success and all of a sudden – your next album sounds exactly like that one success. That’s a bigger problem in the pop world. But if you like something, take it out of your shared folder and go buy it.

Scott – In the version that has come out online, it’s actually called a webrip, and it’s lower quality that what’s going to be on the CD. There’s a little bit of excess noise and all that. Is that frustrating to you to know that you put all that time into production, mixing, and mastering, and then there’s less than perfect quality songs out there that people are hearing? It’s not the finished product that you want people to hear.

Jim – The early leak kind of bugs me for a couple reasons. A low bitrate is not something that we intended it. It’s not the way it was intended to be listened. For sure, that bums me out. And there’s a reason that we wait to show it to anybody until we’re done. Because we have to get it sounding a particular way. We have to get it to where we feel like it’ll be in a state that’s presentable and would be the most effective. There’s lots of subtle dynamics that we spend weeks, months, trying to get right. It’s meant to be heard in a certain way and when it’s not, then it’s sort of like…if you hear a low bitrate rip, then you say this sucks, you’re not really…you haven’t been given the right chance to check it out. So that bugs me. It’s kind of like having the record company hand you back your record saying “Oh, we didn’t like your artwork, so we just did this instead”. And it’d end up being like, kind of florescent pink or something. (laughter)

Scott – What exactly are you going to put on the deluxe edition of Futures, what’s going to be different about that.

Jim – The deluxe edition is going to include demo versions of every song. In the process of making Futures, we recorded and re-recorded everything at least nine or ten times. We have our own pro tools setup at our studio, and we’re big on…A lot of the times, the way the song takes shape, it has to do with production and how something sounds. Or what instruments were being used. That plays a big role in songwriting for us. And we revise that constantly, until we feel like it’s done, and that might be...well, it takes a really long time. And with the deluxe edition we’re including… (Jim is distracted by someone else) ok, let me just...ok. With the deluxe edition, we’re running commentary on what it is about these particular versions that stand out and how they’re played into the development of the songs. So it’s kind of like a glimpse into our creating process. Because you can definitely hear where (laughs) some of the elements came from. It’s always interesting I think when you hear demos after you’ve heard the real thing and kind of see how they pieced together, like what worked and what didn’t.

Scott – Well, excellent. I assume that you got a little nudge to get going back there, so thanks for answering a few questions for me.

Jim – Hey, no problem.

Scott – I look forward to buying the album when it comes out. Have a good one.

Jim – Yeah, thanks a lot man!

Scott
– Alright, talk to you later.

Jim – Alright, bye.

*click*

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38
05:26 PM on 10/06/04
Atticusholden
With all your heart.
User Info.
It's commendable that the meaning behind "Futures" is open to interpretation. It gives the record more of a universal outlook, like all of the songs present different facets and feelings of everyone's lives.

The deluxe edition "Futures" sounds good if there's going to be a massive collection of demos on it. That should be interesting.

Good interview, Scott.
05:50 PM on 10/06/04
s.deel.besonym
Jesse... bad boy...
User Info.
Originally Posted by Atticusholden
It's commendable that the meaning behind "Futures" is open to interpretation. It gives the record more of a universal outlook, like all of the songs present different facets and feelings of everyone's lives.

The deluxe edition "Futures" sounds good if there's going to be a massive collection of demos on it. That should be interesting.

Good interview, Scott.

Wow, I love Jimmy Eat World. That interview was so damn professional and actually real.. in other interviews they've done they fuck around, but that was straight up. Props, Jim.
05:51 PM on 10/06/04
Method Acting
the key to life is.......
User Info.
Quote:
I haven’t had coffee yet this morning, so I’m kinda…I’m sort of method acting.

he mentioned my SN *starts jumping for joy, then realizes how pathetic he is and begins crying*

When does the deluxe edition come out? Sounds like it would be really nifty to hear the songs take shape.
05:54 PM on 10/06/04
Guy
True Punk Fan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That was the shittiest interview ever. Remember how your supposed to ask questions and not just regurguitate press releases?
06:05 PM on 10/06/04
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by Guy
That was the shittiest interview ever. Remember how your supposed to ask questions and not just regurguitate press releases?

do you really have to post this in 2 threads? it's a little pathetic that you went out of your way to make this comment in BOTH threads.
Also, this is more than the press release stuff. Jim really thought hard over these answers, and took a long time answering them. If you don't like them, that's fine with me. I don't pretend to be an interview expert or anything, and in 10 minutes worth of time in my first interview, i think I did alright.
06:13 PM on 10/06/04
Frank Giaramita
AP.net's Princess
User Info.
Originally Posted by Guy

Scott Weber – Good, how are you doing?

Scott Weber-What’s the reasoning behind naming the album Futures?

Scott Weber-Do you have any idea what the next single is going to be? Are you going to take a step back and maybe do a slower song, or just get another rocking song out there?

Scott Weber-I’m sure you’re aware that Futures leaked online a while ago, month or so ago. It’s being downloaded by a lot of fans, a lot of kids. How do you feel about that, and just downloading in general?

Scott Weber
-In the version that has come out online, it’s actually called a webrip, and it’s lower quality that what’s going to be on the CD. There’s a little bit of excess noise and all that. Is that frustrating to you to know that you put all that time into production, mixing, and mastering, and then there’s less than perfect quality songs out there that people are hearing?

Scott Weber-What exactly are you going to put on the deluxe edition of Futures, what’s going to be different about that?

As far as I can see, there is a lot of "questions" in this interview. I'm not exactly sure what interview you've been reading, retard.
06:30 PM on 10/06/04
Nate_RAWKS
Bring it back Old School
User Info.
I think Futures might just be my favorite record of the year. It's so so so beautiful.
06:42 PM on 10/06/04
No Control
Too many LI people here
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
do you really have to post this in 2 threads? it's a little pathetic that you went out of your way to make this comment in BOTH threads.
Also, this is more than the press release stuff. Jim really thought hard over these answers, and took a long time answering them. If you don't like them, that's fine with me. I don't pretend to be an interview expert or anything, and in 10 minutes worth of time in my first interview, i think I did alright.

Listen I thought you did a good job, and asked good questions. Dont stress that kid, Thanks for the interview. Keep it up dude.
06:58 PM on 10/06/04
try_pie
No Life, Only Message Board
User Info.
like i said in the news gj :lol2:
07:58 PM on 10/06/04
WheresTheChorus
here it is...
User Info.
cool interview

and yeah, is the deluxe edition come out oct 19?
08:11 PM on 10/06/04
sweethypocrisy
ortizshow.podbean.com
User Info.
*inappropriate slow clap*
08:24 PM on 10/06/04
Mr Nohbody
nohbody you know
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Keepin' it real one pant leg at a time... yes you do Scott, yes you do!
09:18 PM on 10/06/04
Bethiscool
I do everything*
User Info.
there is also this cd that mark trombino started.
and finished.
but won't be released.
still sounds amazing as Futures. in fact, it sounds more like Clarity melodies, and the pounding rhythym found on Bleed American.

there are 10 tracks on it.
4 are the same as ones found on futures. including 'jen'.
6 are brand new songs.
i think those numbers are right. i have to go look again.
10:06 PM on 10/06/04
ourlastdecember
Been Here A While
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great job with this interview.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles